6" rum still

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

6" rum still

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Here's a rig I've been working on that some of the WABS members have seen, it's a 3 plate thumper column that I've designed with the aim of producing a heavy rum.

The last time I ran 3 plates I got good compression of heads & tails with a good wide hearts cut, the distillate of the end product was 88% ABV and was a lovely bold full flavored rum.

The plates in this rig are a single 3" bubble cap with a 2.5" x 1 & 1/4" reducer as the riser, downcomers are 1" x 3/4 reducers with a cup on the bottom.

Once I've done some testing with this rig I'll post the results :handgestures-thumbupleft:

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: 6" rum still

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:05 pm

nice it doesnt look to hard to build ether, looks like cost might be the issue though :))

very nice rig will keep a eye on this thread
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby emptyglass » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Looks good Mac. Can't wait to hear the results
emptyglass

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Your stills are always immaculately presented McStill...do you just do it for the photos or do you lacquer them? Either way I drool when I see them.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby googe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Very nice Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: odd looking thing and that's what makes it interesting :smile: . I was studying inline thumpers and the such when I was on holidays and want to do similar. Would you care to share how you worked out riser to downcomer to = the depth of condensate.

Cheers
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:20 pm

I wouldn't have posted a pic Mac,certain "Precision Distilling Manufacturing" pirates might knock off the design as "Another World First" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Oh,sorry,this IS precision Distilling equipment :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Lowndsey wrote:Your stills are always immaculately presented McStill...do you just do it for the photos or do you lacquer them? Either way I drool when I see them.

It's not polished yet mate, but I do like to keep my work clean... one of the joys of using new copper instead of scrap :handgestures-thumbupleft:

googe wrote:Very nice Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: odd looking thing and that's what makes it interesting :smile: . I was studying inline thumpers and the such when I was on holidays and want to do similar. Would you care to share how you worked out riser to downcomer to = the depth of condensate.

Cheers

Googe, the DC's are just a simple dropper into a cup mate.. nothing fancy, but proven effective and dont need drilling out to improve after market bullshit :))

kelbygreen wrote:nice it doesnt look to hard to build ether

Go build one & we'll be ready for the million questions.... "NOT" :teasing-neener:

WineGlass wrote:Looks good Mac. Can't wait to hear the results

Already know the results from previous 3 plate runs, cant see why this would be any different :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:47 pm

mean from a conventional plated or bubbler looks like less parts and easier to make but would have to know sizes and all that jiz to make it functional just work wise looks simplified which is great
kelbygreen

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 pm

kelbygreen wrote:mean from a conventional plated or bubbler looks like less parts and easier to make but would have to know sizes and all that jiz to make it functional just work wise looks simplified which is great

:violence-smack: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :violence-smack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:06 pm

ok obviously its not sorry just looks it by the pics as its modular. will build one the normal way then
kelbygreen

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 pm

It's just as much work as any other bubbler, I just decided not to put sight glasses on it..... ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

6" rum still

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Looks fuckin sweet Mac!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 pm

whats the benefit of a sight glass if I may ask?
kelbygreen

Postby emptyglass » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Umm, you can see stuff
emptyglass

Postby googe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks Mac, I'll just nod and smile and pretend I know what your talking about :))
googe

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 am

It's ok googe, my dowwncomer design is fairly simple... I'll try to explain.

By using a reducer through the plate I can insert various lengths of tube into it, this allows for height adjustments of the distillate bath between runs.... the lowest setting is 30mm.

Underneath the plate is just a tube that's slotted on the bottom & a cup to retain a pool, it stops vapor bypassing the plate by creating a pee trap.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks mate, apreceate it, cleared it up nicely :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I know you get sick of newbie questions :laughing-rolling: . I think I read nearly every book in the library over the past week and have distilling over load but can say I totally understand why everyone keeps saying read read read, I've learnt so much the past week!!!!. Thanks again.

Cheers
googe

Postby bluess57 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:26 am

Any chance of selling bubble plate sections in the coop?
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 am

bluess57 wrote:Any chance of selling bubble plate sections in the coop?

I can custom build anything you want mate, just PM me to discuss your needs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

Hey Mac, I've been studying your coolent lines, can't see how there running properly though, just looks like you have 2 valves inline which doesn't make since to me, don't ya need a tee type setup to draw water away?. Your bout the only one that does cm´s, hard to find good close up pics . Cheers
googe

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills