Goldie's first born - Jett

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Goldie's first born - Jett

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 am

Goldie wrote:First spirit run for Jett tonight. Ran well expect the top 3 plates loaded up but the bottom plate never loaded. The wash was UJ.

Ok how about some of the experts answering this
to get the bottom plate to load [less heat ] [more cooling water what ]
Thats like the build i am scrounging bits for
Got the boiler ;site glass in the mail ; got the copper elbows
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Could be any number of things from fluid bypassing the plate to wash ABV, or just being a first run without knowing how to run it ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Goldie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:11 pm

That first run I wasn't using a voltage controller and so had only one element turned on. My second run I used my controller and gave it around 3600w and all the plates loaded, so I think the vapour rate couldn't overcome the liquid weeping through the holes in the plate.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Goldie wrote:That first run I wasn't using a voltage controller and so had only one element turned on. My second run I used my controller and gave it around 3600w and all the plates loaded, so I think the vapour rate couldn't overcome the liquid weeping through the holes in the plate.

Thats good my new boiler is getting 2 =2400 watt elements
80 liter boiler 2=2400 watt elements 4 in column with bubble plates ect ect
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Brendan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Hey Goldie,

I just have one question...how did you source all this stuff for under $500?

Especially the pipe, and the 4" 90 degree bends...I got two 3" 90 degree bends from Reece plumbing a year ago, and they were something like $80 a piece...I only bought there because I didn't know where else I could get the stuff...

If I could get the pipe, bends, and reducers for $500, i'd start building tomorrow! :pray:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby googe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Hunt around mate, don't go to Reece or tradelink there fuckwits, I can get 4' in Melbourne for around $130m,. You have to try many stores to get the best price. Scrap yards some times have good supplies too, I'm doing mine with alot of scrap. Ask on here too, in the for sale section, someone might have some in your area. Good luck.
googe

Postby Brendan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks Googe,

I also found that there is one of those Plumbers' Supplies Co-op's near me, so I might have to check out their prices too :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I always worry with the scrap, because I don't know what it's been used for before.
Brendan

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm

scrap is fine if it still had the protective end caps on like the stuff I bought :)) looked like some one just bought a heap of crap off the shelf and scraped it. There is a plumbing co-op in lambton I think it is and its the cheapest infact I going to ring them in a min so will let you know some prices
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Brendan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah mate if you could that would be great :handgestures-thumbupleft:

In particular 4" pipe...

EDIT: Sorry Goldie...Kelby we should take this over to the "Reece Plumbing is a ripoff thread"
Brendan

Postby Sam. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:06 am

googe wrote:Hunt around mate, don't go to Reece or tradelink there fuckwits, I can get 4' in Melbourne for around $130m,. You have to try many stores to get the best price. Scrap yards some times have good supplies too, I'm doing mine with alot of scrap. Ask on here too, in the for sale section, someone might have some in your area. Good luck.

I can get 4" from Reece for $92 a metre and they will cut to metre lengths through a good mate :teasing-neener:

Brendan if you can find a plumber and put it on there trade account it will save you a lot of money :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Goldie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am

Brendan wrote:Hey Goldie,

I just have one question...how did you source all this stuff for under $500?

The trick is knowing where to shop, like everyone has said shop around or failing that do you know a plumber? We have an unreal hardware shop here in WA, Mac did the hard work for all of us and found it and their prices are excellent! It's not a chain store, a good old fashioned store, where you walk in and they will cut anything for you. Try to find something similar.

Brendan wrote:Hey Goldie

Especially the pipe, and the 4" 90 degree bends...I got two 3" 90 degree bends from Reece plumbing a year ago, and they were something like $80 a piece...

It cost me less than half that for one 4" bend! You don't have to use 4" bends and if I was to do it again I would just use 2" bends.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Goldie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Brendan wrote:Yeah mate if you could that would be great :handgestures-thumbupleft:

In particular 4" pipe...

"

You could always use Mac's T idea and price up some 4" T's, they can actually be priced reasonably priced and saves you having to cut holes and mount the SG's on the pipe.
Goldie

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills