Goldie's first born - Jett

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Postby Goldie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:12 am

So as most of you know my wife and I just welcomed into this world a baby girl, what most of you don’t know is that 2 weeks prior to this I gave birth to her twin Jett, my 4” perforated plate column. Before the birth of our baby we had one boy’s and one girl’s name picked out for our new arrival and I said to my wife whatever name we don’t use for our baby I will use to name my new build, so Jett it is….
No new ideas here just a copy of ideas already perfected, 4” modular column
4 perforated plates have 1.5mm holes drilled in a 5mm grid
Dephlamator has 4 x 1” pipes and is 100mm long
Peepers are 3” with the silicone seals being replaced with cork, not sure how long the brass sight glass flanges will last on this before I replace them, still undecided.
Downcomers are 3/4" with 20mm above the plate and a simple cup at the bottom, they are quite short probably about 80mm in length (I will measure them next time I take it apart)
Product condenser is made from 2.5” pipe with 4 x 3/4” pipe and is 400mm long
Each bubble section is 140mm long
Two separate needle valves control water flow
This build was going to contain a SS shotgun but due to an inferior product received (this was returned for a refund) I bit the bullet and made it from copper. So happy with the result, cost me less than the SS item. Another component that was going to be SS was the two 4” reducers, similar story to the shotgun so I sourced copper reducers and made my own for cheaper than the SS item I received. When I get a chance I might put up a list of cost of this rig but at a guess it would have cost me around $400-500 plus around 50-60 hours to build.
Anyone considering building should take note, my only previous metal work experience was building my 2” pot still so this build did take me longer than I thought it would but I managed to make everything you see except the SG’s and clamps (some will be replaced due to poor fit). I used 2 SS ferrules in this build, they are in the 4” bends, all other connections are easy flanges, once you get past making the first one they become really quick to make. I rushed a lot of the joins and was a bit heavy handed with the solder a few times, might clean them up better when I get a chance. I found the hardest part of the build to be making the 3" SG flanges that mount onto the 4" pipe, I nearly thru in the towel but managed to get them sorted on the second attempt. Only managed to get vinegar and cleaning run in before the bubba arrived.

What I learnt from this build;
Copper flanges are easy to make and very rewarding when completed
Boilers need fill ports or at least a fill port on your column
PTFE tape makes great seals as does cork
Having a baby due is great motivation to finish a build
Cutting 3" holes into large copper pipe isn't that bad once you get past the first nervous attempt...

Thanks has to go to the guys who first scaled down these columns for hobby use :clap: :clap: (I wouldn’t have ever come up with this design) and Mac for his help and tips.
Next to be built is another bubble T section and packed section for neutral runs.
Then maybe work out a plate to mount the needle valves on.

Downcomer working
Plate in action during cleaning run
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Re: Goldie's first born - Jett

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 am

Jett is beautiful mate, you should be proud of yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Goldie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks mate, the first time I connected it all up to the keg I was beaming with pride.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby crow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 am

Very cool 8-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 am

Great job mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: I bet you won't mind cleaning up after this one :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby SBB » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 am

Nice job Goldie, Congratulations on both new arrivals.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:12 am

Congrats...great build, very motivating.
J :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:34 am

Congrats on your Avirvals mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: hope there both doing we'll, and mum. :D . Very nice setup mate, nice and neat :handgestures-thumbupleft: . :mrgreen:
googe

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:40 am

Very impressive mate, gotta be happy with that!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 am

I love those 4" 90's they look awesome :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 am

Well done Goldie, thats an awsome looking rig mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:14 am

Nice work Goldie! :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Goldie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 am

SBB wrote:Nice job Goldie, Congratulations on both new arrivals.

Thanks mate reading your builds motivated me to try my own.
Goldie

Postby Goldie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 am

First spirit run for Jett tonight. Ran well expect the top 3 plates loaded up but the bottom plate never loaded. The wash was UJ.
Goldie

Postby Goldie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:12 am

Even without the fourth plate, these columns still show what they can perform.......
Goldie

Postby Goldie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm

So couldn't resist and have a taste test of Jett's first brew, a UJ with some rye added. MMMMMMmmmmmmm god it tastes good! Only been on oak for 4 weeks but it already has so much flavour, alot more depth to it. :handgestures-thumbupleft: This is easily my best brew to date, so happy with Jett.
Goldie

Postby emptyglass » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Small tip if I may, UJ at about 30%, one teaspoon, and bubs asleep. A lot more natural than some of the tinctures avaliable. Depends on how mum is going as to how seriously you take that.
Just a thought.
Sweet looking still mate!
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:36 pm

The end of a build is very rewarding, but that's just the start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Goldie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:55 am

WineGlass wrote:Small tip if I may, UJ at about 30%, one teaspoon, and bubs asleep. A lot more natural than some of the tinctures avaliable. Depends on how mum is going as to how seriously you take that.
Just a thought.
Sweet looking still mate!

Thanks EG, bubs is sleeping well still so no need to grab the UJ yet but I keep suggesting it to mum :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

McStill wrote:The end of a build is very rewarding, but that's just the start :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah I thought when I finished my pot that was the end..... Never thought I would be building then running my own bubbler.
Goldie

Postby bt1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:59 am

Nice!

one question the close shows the gasket..is it a compound cork i.e. automotive..Like would it have rubber in it....seems way to dark in colour and fragments of cork?

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills