Blond bubbler preliminary design

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Blond bubbler preliminary design

Postby bt1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:13 am

Howdy,

A few follow ups

with the regulator burner...it's a case of spacing I reckon in that I'm using a 6" rim burner stand and on a std regulator the flame is still compressed not burning cleanly...it needs more space me thinks...like cut the rim and add a 1- 2 inch band so gas flame does not lick around the keg base.

Local for a burner:

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html
caution the 32 jet is over kill imho

Soldering in the plates seems logical to me because It takes no space..i.e. gasket plate gasket plus easy flanges could be close to tri clamp ferrule clamping width max???
Soldering won't require what I think would be needed 2 extra gaskets in the vapour path...I'm just nor sure here on Mac's idea as I can't visualise it.....clearly it works just hesitate on the sealing issue...best if ask Mac on how this is done before making a decision.

I'm on a new 500w pump with 19mm poly feed to still. Already have 3 x 19mm off takes for pressure reduction and looks as if I need another 2 at least...bugga!

btw this is worth a good several reads before you start cutting and dicing

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2756

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby blond.chap » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks again bt1, I'm not totally clear either on how the plates fit into the triclamp, thoughts mac?

The mongolian burners look pretty good, the regulator I have should be ok, it has a pretty wide range so should be fine with a bit of playing. I was going to go simple and sit the keg on clay bricks, but I'll have a look into car rim burners, might be a bit safer.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:42 pm

blond.chap wrote:Thanks again bt1, I'm not totally clear either on how the plates fit into the triclamp, thoughts mac?

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_0985x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:37 am

Ah!

very nice..yep that's the winner imho

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby blond.chap » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20 am

Ok, after a bunch more reading, I'm considering putting electric elements in rather than running on gas (just a niggling safety concern). From what I understand 2* 2400W elements are sufficient for a 50L boiler with a 4" bubbler. From what I understand, I can plug the two elements into either side of a double wall socket (not both into a double adapter).

The problem I have is a lack of knowledge about electricity and a desire to remain unelectrocuted. To add to the issue I don't have any sparky mates. I'm thinking of welding 1" BSP threads to the boiler and using McStills DIY element guards. I'd like to use the 2400W elements from the recent group buy (if McStill is able to hook me up), but I'm stuck on wiring them up, so are there any good 2400W elements that are already wired? Or who do I speak to to get one wired?

Any thoughts, am I on the path of electrocution? or am I a few steps away from a safe boiler?
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:00 am

Bump, any advice?
blond.chap

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:09 am

Sorry mate I must've missed this, it's silly season here 8-}

I'm not sure about hooking both elements up to a double power point so cant advise on that one, but I can help with elements in a couple of weeks.

Hope your holiday away was a good one, now your back I'll post your clamps off in the morning :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby olddog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 pm

You can only plug one 2400 watt element into a 10 amp circuit. You multiply the volts by the amps which gives you the maximum watts for that circuit, eg: 240 mutiply by 10 = 2400. A double adapter or double plug on the outlet does not increase the output, it will only divide it.

OD
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Hey OD I think he means a double power point, the ones with two outlets.... I'm not sure how they're wired so cant advise, can you?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby olddog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:39 pm

A double power point is usually still wired off a single circuit.
olddog

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:42 pm

If that's the case then "NO" 2 x 2400w elements cant be run from it safely
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby olddog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Even on a 15 amp circuit, multiply 240 by 15 = 3600, so on a 15 amp circuit you could a 2400 watt and a 1200 watt which gives you a total of 3600 watts.
The only way you can run 2 2400watt elements is if you have two separate connections individually fused in your meter box, then each fused circuit will be capable of 2400watts.

OD
olddog

Postby punchy21 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Old dog is on the money...

The only way you can safely/legally run 2 x 2400W elements in your home is off separate circuits. A double power point is fed from 1 circuit only. Each house 'normally' has at least 2 10A circuits that you can plug in any appliance that can draw up to maximum of 10A, and is protected by a 16A circuit breaker. So if you identify in your home which power points are on separate circuits you will have no dramas safely running your proposed setup. However, if when you are running your 2 x 2400W elements and then missuss fires up the kettle and the toaster and whatever else, the circuit can quickly reach over 16A and trip the circuit breaker.

If you have a 15A circuit, then these are normally 1 power point only on a circuit.

Hope that makes sense... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah olddog is right, When I rewire my shed it is having its own switch board and each double power point will have 2 circuits to it. Still havnt talked to the sparky if I can get 50A to the shed and have 2 x 20A circuits and a light circuit. I think he said if you go over so many amps the wire size jumps and cost alot more and I think 50A was where I needed the bigger wire.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby blond.chap » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Great thanks guys, that's really helpful, looks like it might be gas for me then, ill be running it up in the garage so can't see it having two circuits. From what I understand 1 2400w element will take too long to heat up.

Cheers again
blond.chap

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:51 pm

one easy way to find out is look in the meter box if there is 2 or more 15A lines flick one off at a time as see where its not working. This will tell you where the circuits run, But I would not be using a extenstion lead longer then say 10m unless you know it can handle full load for long periods
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby olddog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:13 pm

blond.chap wrote:Great thanks guys, that's really helpful, looks like it might be gas for me then, ill be running it up in the garage so can't see it having two circuits. From what I understand 1 2400w element will take too long to heat up.

FYI I changed from gas to electric for my Flute which is attached to a keg boiler, I usually ferment around 25lts of wash, when I distill this wash it usually takes approx 45 minutes to reach boil, and the flute will run quite happily using a 2400 watt element although I would probably improve the output with gas, the advantage of being able to use the still in winter with the doors of my workshop closed makes electric more suitable for me although a touch slower.

OD
olddog

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:20 pm

I will never go back to gas :naughty:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby blond.chap » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Yeah, I'd prefer leccy, just took a look a the fuse box and there's 2*15amp circuits for power in the house. If I can avoid peak times in the house this could just work.
Mac, how long do your runs take from element on to elements off? - 4" bubbler, 40ish litres of wash, 2*2400W elements for warm up and 1 for the run.
blond.chap

Postby emptyglass » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:10 pm

I love the consistancy of electric, but I do like the grunt that gas gives.
Sorry, I prefer the V8 to the prius :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:
emptyglass

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills