Xmas Still build, community effort.

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Xmas Still build, community effort.

Postby JayD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 am

I was going to pose a question on how do we pick the lucky person ? however it seems to me, we really dont have to pick out one person in particular...why you might ask ? well folks are coming forward with a short story why they should be in the running for this still. I feel, and this is only a suggestion, the folks that post their reason why they would like to receive this community gift their name should go in to the hat and be drawn out by Mr E. what think you?

J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby MR-E » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:59 am

JayD wrote:I was going to pose a question on how do we pick the lucky person ? however it seems to me, we really dont have to pick out one person in particular...why you might ask ? well folks are coming forward with a short story why they should be in the running for this still. I feel, and this is only a suggestion, the folks that post their reason why they would like to receive this community gift their name should go in to the hat and be drawn out by Mr E. what think you?

J

That's the idea I posted before, looks like we have a list of names started :happy-partydance:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:17 pm

I would love it, But I would be able to build one myself as by the time I save up for one I surely would of figured out how to build one, Cant see that being in the next few years though but can only dream
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Yep I'll put my name down. And my sob story. I injured my back at work, was sent to the office for admin duties, shortly after was made redundant, I trained up in another profession only to find there is extremely high unemployment rate in the career path I chose, I was unemployed for a while before bagging a job as a metro truckie.

Chose not to go thru the work cover BS as I don't want that on my resume! Treating back injury privately, Mrs has 2nd baby due 24th dec, no still builds on the horizon for a long while yet.

But I am happy and still have my house and lovely family, incl mc pot :)

Edit: my shed was signed and sealed before I got my redundancy.

We not struggling as such but it's hardest times I personally have had in a very long time.

This is a very generous thing u guys are doing and every member involved needs to pat themselves on the back for committing to such a selfless deed.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Jonno » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi all,

Im in the same boat as a few here. Relatively new here, been doing my reading on home brewing for about 18 months. My minister of finance wont allow me to spend the dollars to buy a still. Im as useless as tits on a bull
when it come to tools....

Why i want to turn my xmas upside down and happy forammy self and the family? My brother was recently diagnosed with schitzofrenia and moved in with me, brother in law with depression and moved in with me. Mother in law house went up in flames recently so she moved in with us. Im trying to support not only myself but the rest of the family. So finances are as tight as can be. This would turn my frown up side down for sure!

I wish all a happy and merry xmas!

The generosity of the blokes on this forum is fantastic and hopefully one day i will be able to contribute as much as the rest!
Jonno

Postby Lupus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 pm

This is one of the reasons why this is a cool forum that gets me returning often.The sense of community is very real, with senior members looking out for the new guys, and not simply a place to show off how good a stiller they are.

Would love the chance to play with a bubbler, but there are other more deserving members out there. Besides, I got a boka to pay with now :)

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby Goldie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:39 am

Been a lil quiet of late with our new bubba and just read this. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Another great idea from Mac and ANOTHER big effort from MR-E. If I had any free time I would have offered to help (haven't even stilled in weeks).

We all know a well deserved member will end up this still, end of story. The important thing here is that we all need to remember who will be benefiting from this build.......The Salvos. AGAIN a member from this forum will be making a donation to a charity. It's a great reflection on our community that we can come together and put aside our own interests for the good of the wider community. Cheers everyone :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby MR-E » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 am

We'll just got some good news :happy-partydance:
I wasn't real happy sending the still with the 4" seals I had & WineGlass has offered to supply
some new ones :happy-partydance:
Onya, E.G

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

Postby googe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:54 am

Well done empty :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:38 pm

only a few days left folks, get your submissions in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Goldie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 am

Hope Santa doesn't find out what's in MR-E's present or he may just wish to keep it for him. Someone is going to have one hell of a christmas!
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby stilltryin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 am

I`ll throw my name into the ring for this most generous christmas give away...and thank you all for the chance. :smile:
I don`t have a job now, I applied for a real good one and I know I was more than qualified for it because I`ve done the job before. It was with the government here, Mineral Resources, but I was told by someone I know that the powers that be already wanted a particular person, a woman who will have to be trained up to do the job, but as usual here It`s not what you know but who you know when your looking for a job. :sad:
So now we live on what my wife earns so I have no idea at all when I`ll be able to build a still...or buy one.I have everything I need except for the copper pipe. ;-) I`ve read just about every page on this whole site and I have a good idea of what I would have to do to build one now, I was going to have a go at a double reducer Boka, from the plans i`ve seen for them here I reckon it would have worked out ok...even though I havn`t soldered anything since about 1997 :))
Ah well, back to searching the job ads,but with the economy like it is here I`m not going to hold my breath. :crying-blue:
stilltryin

equipment: at the moment...only a beer keg..lol!

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 pm

WineGlass wrote:I also nominate mac, as he dosn't seem to have a permanent still :mrgreen:

Yer it's just happened again too, brought a tear to my eye packing the Slayer up for postage tomorrow :violin:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:55 pm

So, if I got this right, Mr E will be chosing the winner
*from a hat?
*from a need/merit judgement?
Am I anywhere close here?
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 pm

WineGlass wrote:So, if I got this right, Mr E will be chosing the winner
*from a hat?

I think that's how it will work, unless someone comes up with a decent bribe for Mr E in the next 48 hours. :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 pm

When's he drawing a winner?. IM very excited to see who it is, imagine getting a bubbler for Chrissy!!!!!!!!. Best pressie ever :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby crow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:01 pm

C'MON FELLA'S must be more on here that would struggle to build or purchase one of these great stills, times a wasting get ya name in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 pm

It's crazy hey crow, I.thoughtthere would be tons of people.jumping at this!!!.
googe

Postby MR-E » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 pm

WineGlass wrote:So, if I got this right, Mr E will be chosing the winner
*from a hat?

A name will be drawn from the list of those that expressed their interest.
Mrs Mac has gracefully excepted to draw the name on Xmas day :happy-partydance:
MR-E

Postby Mrs Mac » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 am

Ok Guys & Gals,

Right now its about a 1 in five chance to have this great still, you all need to either suggest someone or put yourself forward for this great opportunity.

I will be writing all names down that are suggested or put forward and on Christmas Day I will draw from a hat.

Get your names in now cause Santa Claus is coming to town :occasion-santa: :occasion-santa: and he's carrying a big bag of copper :happy-wavemulticolor:
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills