The Everythinger Still.... Tes

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Here's a build completed for a member, it's the one I posted about the gin basket the other day.

5 x single bubble cap plates
packed section
gin basket
2 thermo ports
Shotgun condensers
L Plater cooling/reflux system
parrot and extension for neutral mode fit's with 3/4" tri clamps

This rig will do everything from gin and neutrals to a heavy rum depending on how you configure it.

I'm really wrapped with how this one turned out :D

IMG_1097.JPG

:happy-partydance: :D :happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: The Everythinger Still.... Tes

Postby stilltryin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Mcstill...that looks almost as sweet as the poster on your fridge 8-) 8-) 8-)

I`m sure the lucky owner will be more than happy with it :smile:
stilltryin

equipment: at the moment...only a beer keg..lol!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Where is this gin basket? I don't care for rums but I want an upgrade from my reflux to do grappas and gins.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby googe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Awesome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , certainly something you don't see on any stilling site. That gin basket fits in nice and discreet. Good job
googe

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:34 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Where is this gin basket?

Just under the top thermometer, between the two clamps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 pm

... this still is so versatile, here's a pic of it in "flight mode" :teasing-neener:

IMG_1102.JPG

:laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Comes with a free vice, bargain!!.
googe

Postby MattyC » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm Excited :music-deathmetal:
MattyC

equipment: 50L Keg Boiler (2400w and 3600w elements)
McStill TES (5 plate bubbler with neutral and gin basket extensions)

Postby emptyglass » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 pm

:auto-dirtbike: :banana-jumprope: :character-beavisbutthead: :happy-bouncycyan: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :obscene-smokingjoint:
emptyglass

Postby poompy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 am

where is the still in the picture? all i can see is a blonde :teasing-tease: :teasing-neener: :D
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Well judging from the phone calls I've been getting this rig will be worn out soon, 4 runs in 3 days amongst the floods n tornados is a pretty dedicated effort :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MattyC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Ha ha ha - yeah was a sh!t weekend for stilling, but still put in some long hours to give TES a good run. Thanks for the fast turn around on the building of it, and i have been trying to get it going since xmas, but had to source a keg, wire up the element, setup the cooling etc. As a result i had 80 litres of TPW, 40 litres of a modified UJSM, and 40 litres of MacRum - ready to go :happy-partydance:

I have been making my own spirits for many years, but mostly with the same setup, and think i have pretty much pushed it to its limits and outgrown it. I was a little unsure of how much benefit this setup would bring, but based on the feedback these plated columns receive on the forums, i knew that there were to many positives to outweigh the unknown (since i have never seen one in real life /nor in operation). So i jumped in the deep end, and started discussions with Mac.

I really wanted an all round still that:
  • I could make lots of different brews
  • A still i could grow into and would allow me to add to in the future as ideas develop and techniques improve.
  • A still that would reduce my current run time - as life gets busier and time is becoming scarce :violin:
  • I also have limited space during down time (no shed :(), so i wanted a still that would pack away to be nice and compact

Anyway how does it run, I have to say i am really impressed. I know that there are a lot of members on here who have used these setups for a while, and i have no intension of preaching to the converted, but i thought i would post my thoughts for those that might be interested.

I did 4 runs in 3 days and managed to fit in a crazy weather system in there as well with fallen trees etc, but the show must go on right :-D I certainly blew the cobwebs out of it anyway. :music-deathmetal:

First run was a 40L TPW and 3.5L of 80% Neutral Feints. I setup the still with the neutral column and five bubbler plates. I followed the operating instructions mac has put in the plate column section of the forum (which rant to different to how i run my old reflux still). 50L Keg came to the boil in 100mins using a single 2400w 10amp element. Distillate percentage and temp was high in the parrot and as the heads started coming of i realised with all that was going on i had hooked up the cold water to enter the reflux condenser first instead of the product condenser :violence-smack: I thought i would let it run and see how it went. I set the cool water flow at to keep a nice stream of distillate coming without making it stall and finished at around 2L per minute of 20^C water - and this ended up being virtually the same for all runs. The result was a 4 hour 15 min run that netted (after cuts) around 3.5L of 94% neutral and and 2.8L of feints. So 7L in 4 hours - around 1.75L per hour. Flawless run and the temps and ABV were amazingly stable the whole time.

Second run TPW - reuse the last runs feints and another 40L of TPW. Switched the house round to feed the base of the product condenser first, out the top and into the base of the reflux condenser. This cut the run time by 1 and 1/2 hours :D. Super pumped :dance: So the time from the first take of to the end of the good tails (at 20%ABV) was 3 hours 15mins. Finished with 3.4 L of 94% spirits and 2.8L of feints. 6.2L in just over 3.25 hours takes it to 2L per hour. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Nearly identical outcomes - great consistency, and high percentage clean neutral.

3rd run was an UJSM - for which i took of the neutral column extension and left the 5 plates in place. I tried something different with the recipe as i like wild turkey sourness and after some reading found that their recipe was based on malt barley and wheat as well as corn. I loaded the still up and it was only 10 mins in when I was interrupted by the bloody Oswald storm which nearly tore the roof of our house, and flooded the bottom floor of our house. Anyway after a 12 hour hiatus, i poured the wash back into the still (I had removed it for its own safety ;-) ) and when i put it back in the still it had gone from the lovely clear yellow colour to a browny yellow colour. Not sure what happened whether the air spoiled it (even thought was in a sealed container overnight), or starting to boil it then cooling affected it, but regardless i went with it. The end result of the first generation was quite low in sprirts. After talking with mac it might have been the high grain - low sugar contact of the wash, but the end result the 45L still run finished with 3.85L at 94% avg ABV of heads, hearts and tails, of which i haven't done cuts yet.

4th run was a Mac Rum, which i was looking forward to the most all weekend. I pushed on, and put down a 45L rum wash with high expectations and wasn't disappointed. The wash followed the recipe exactly - and in my opinion - didn't smell or look that great ha ha ha ha. I removed the 5th plate to get a stronger flavoured spirit, and ran it with just the 4 plates, the reflux and product condensers. The final product - well it has had much positive feedback, and i agree it smells and tastes pretty good - can't wait to try it in a month after oaring. Again i haven't done the cuts yet as i only finished it last night and as it is my first rum run, i want to get them right. Total heads/hearts/tails collected down to 20%ABV was 4.8L at an average of around 94%. Temps stable and again the run was faultless. Clean sweet rum, and plenty of it. No stripping run required...

So am i happy - hell yeah.

:text-thankyoublue: Mac

Next stop - get some generations going with the UJSM and Rum, and play with the neutral and Gin basket x_x
MattyC

equipment: 50L Keg Boiler (2400w and 3600w elements)
McStill TES (5 plate bubbler with neutral and gin basket extensions)

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 am

Great outcomes Matty, I'm sure you'll dial it in even better as you get to know the rigs little habits & get the ABV's and output rates to improve.

Glad you're happy mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Good results mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: Glad its all worked out well for you :smile: .
googe

Postby Goldie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Good write up Matty and TES is a rippa bit of gear. Isn't awesome not having to do a stripping run!
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Return to Plated Column Stills