internal plate disabling valves

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

internal plate disabling valves

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi i see on another forum [i haven't been there long enough to ask questions ] a story on internal plate disabling valves
can somebody explain then and a drawing would be good
Looks like an interesting set up
Also i see somebody [bt1 i think ] mention wavy plated thingoes more info on that topic would be good
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Re: internal plate disabling valves

Postby emptyglass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Plate disabling valves can be internal (hard to do) or external.
The idea is that when you open the valve, that plate then drains to either the boiler, thumper chamber or any other plate below, depending on how its plumbed.
Its so guys can muck arround with different plate counts, different flavor profiles for different drinks.

From that you can see they are not much use if you only make one sort of drink. Great if you want to reproduce the entire top shelf of a bar, but that can be limited to how they are plumbed.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm

I saw an idea by olddog posted yonks ago on HD some where about setting the plate up like a carborater butter fly. It seemed very logical to me and way less fucking around than the disabling system but I haven't read yet of anyone trying it
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 pm

I'd thought of that one too crow, trouble is a butterfly like a carby has never gets back to horozontal, so you would have to set up the coulumn on an angle for the plates to end up flat and able to hold liquid.
I don't want to call my still "ilean".

You could possibly set up ledges in the column so that they worked more like a butterfly valve. Top on one half, bottom of the other half and so on...

You would have to use j traps on any plate that tilted. downcomers in cups wont work :-B
emptyglass

Postby crow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 pm

No from memory (not that good I know) they were kinda threaded and had a seal and external nut that you turned to disable and turned back to enable , so you sorta set the level yourself. I would think a score on the nut and a corresponding punch mark on the column would suffice for this ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Devil's in the detail. Would only work with perf plates, and only if you allowed for the bypass when you drilled the holes.
emptyglass

Return to Plated Column Stills