Phil's 2" Perforated Plates on Boka

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Phil's 2" Perforated Plates on Boka

Postby Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 pm

I've been running my 2" boka slowly for neutral and flat out for whisky/bourbon etc... The mesh packing works great however I wanted to try something new and build something interesting. So with inspiration from this forum I'm trying to make a set of 4 perforated plates that I can slide into the bottom of the column interchangeable with the mesh packing. The goal is good UJSM, whisky and hopefully rum.

Don't have much money to splash on this atm so i've utilised what I have rather than what would be best, for example the diameter of the down-comers is not really in proportion to the column. I would love to get a 3" or 4" build going with sight glasses etc.. but that will have to be down the track. The coil condensor above the boka plates isn't really the norm for this type of setup, I'm sure it will work but how well?? Here is some progress so far:

IMG_1320.JPG

Cut and file the disks as close as possible then jam them in the press and round off with a file

IMG_1318.JPG

3/4" pipe almost round with 18 x 1.5mm holes at roughly 8% of surface area

IMG_1317.JPG

1/2" down-comer with 6.5mm hole in the top, did it like this to save a little space

One question. I'm thinking of spacing the plates about 15cm apart and the column is 135cm from boiler lid to take off plate. Would it be best to sit the plates in the middle of the column or towards either top or bottom of the column?

I have some 4th gen UJSM fermenting at the moment and I hope to run this one weekend before the end of the month.

I have no idea if this is going to work and haven't seen much info about 2" plates or what they are capable of, ideas, criticism and pointers most welcome!

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

equipment: Boka Reflux and some mods in the works.

Re: Phil's 2" Perforated Plates on Boka

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Just looking plates dont seem to have enough holes
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:24 pm

I think it will work Phil, how well I dont know.

Seem to recall over on HD someone tried this and didnt have a great deal of success, maybe someone else knows where that thread is.

I would have the plates at the bottom and the packing above, the plates give you ABV & the packing scrubs the flavour.

See how it goes & keep us informed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Cool, I'll check the area of the holes again.

I was thinking plates without the mesh packing. So maybe I'll try plates below just a couple of scrubbers.

Cheers.
Phil

Postby Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Plate diameter = 47mm = 1734mm2
Centre hole diameter = 6.5mm = 33mm2
Down-comer diameter = 13mm = 133mm2
Available plate area = 1734 – 33 -133 = 1568mm2
1.5mm hole = 1.767mm2

8% of 1568 = 125mm2
And 125 / 1.767 = 70 holes for the required 8% meaning at the moment I only have about 2% :angry-banghead:

Seems like many holes but does this sound better? Lucky I posted this, maybe I don’t have any idea what I’m doing.

:text-thankyoublue:
Phil

Postby bluess57 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Yes you want more holes in there.
Afaik as it is, you will have a high vapor speed (ie pressure) which will be undesirable.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 pm

MacStill wrote:Seem to recall over on HD someone tried this and didnt have a great deal of success, maybe someone else knows where that thread is.

Think it was usge this link should help http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=28592

Still,don't be discouraged ,just because some didn't like the results doesn't mean you won't :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looks like you're doing a good job anyway :dance:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Phil ,just had a closer look at your J traps .

At first it looked cool but I can't see how it will work as there is no "pool" of liquid to stop vapor just going in the hole and straight up the downcomer
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Phil ,just had a closer look at your J traps .

At first it looked cool but I can't see how it will work as there is no "pool" of liquid to stop vapor just going in the hole and straight up the downcomer

:text-+1:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for taking a look guys, I've gone with 50 x 1.5mm holes for the moment which gives me around 5.6% plate area. It is probably more than this as some holes may be a little larger + the small gap around the plate. Easier to drill more holes later so will try this first.

Here is tonights progress
IMG_1335.JPG

Yummyrum wrote:Phil ,just had a closer look at your J traps .

I thought the J would fill with liquid as the hole is on the top or end of the J?

I'll have a read of that HD thread thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Postby crow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 am

Just out of interest how have you sealed the end of the J cup
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Phil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 am

Hi Crow, it's just some off cut copper worked into a rough circle and soldered in. Hopefully I get a chance to run this in a week or two and I'll update with results.
Phil

Return to Plated Column Stills