Placement of sight glasses

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Placement of sight glasses

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 am

I'm working out the position of my sight glasses at the moment, and I notice in most non-modular columns that the sight glasses are sitting around the level of the plate. ie. The window is in the bath depth...

In my modular pieces (145mm tall), placing them central seems too high and far away from the plate...if I bring them down a little, I need to work out where to put them.

If I put bottom of window at height of the top of the downcomer, will I see anything? Do the bubbles surge higher than this point while they "pulse"?

I'm sure having them lower and in the bath would not affect it in anyway (the distance from column to glass is fairly small), but want to make sure they are not too high and I'm missing the action! :))
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Re: Placement of sight glasses

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 am

Brendan wrote:If I put bottom of window at height of the top of the downcomer, will I see anything? Do the bubbles surge higher than this point while they "pulse"?

This is what I do mate, you get to see all the action, gives you an indication of flooding & you see the downcomers working too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Placement of sight glasses

Postby tickle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm

115.jpg
:text-+1:
Listen to the man, he knows! I like to see it pool, I kinda wish I set mine a bit higher, i like how it looks up high
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Return to Plated Column Stills