Blondie's Modified Barbet Still

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm

This is a modification I've been thinking about making to my bubbler for the last few months, briefly mentioned in another thread a while back, but I think I've got the idea worked out to the point where I can start building. I've got the copper ordered and I'll start building in a couple of weeks.

It's based on a Barbet continuous still, which is used for molasses based washes to make white rums neutral spirit, here's the design of the stripper:
Barbet Stripper.jpg

And here's the concentrator:
Barbet Concentrator.jpg

I'll be using my existing 4 plate bubbler as the stripper, and a 2" packed section as the concentrator (rectification column).

The design aims are:
- Easy switching between wash flavoured and neutral spirit (without dismantling)
- Easy gin production
- Faster output rate (meaning shorter runs)
- Higher % neutral
- Doesn't need a lot of headspace
- No combination of valve closing allows the column to be pressurised

Without further fucking around, here's the design:
Pippy Design (don't delete).jpg

Ideally I would like to have the excess reflux from the concentrator being fed to the top plate of the stripper, however that would need a pump, and I can't think of a pump in my price range that wouldn't have the spirit in contact with undesirable materials.

I'm considering whether to add a ball valve to the excess reflux return, it's a toss up between 1. the vapour bypassing and entering the concentrator at the start of a run (before the liquid lock is there) and 2. Forgetting to open the ball valve and flooding the concentrator

Hopefully, when the still is in flavour mode (direct vapour to PC), the vapour won't pass into to the concentrator (because pressure would build as the 3-way valve will be blocking the flow), from either the reflux return or the large 50mm section. I'll be testing this sort of thing before finalising the construction as I'm not totally sure of my logic and understanding of pressure.

The feed to the concentrator will need to be insulated as it's a large surface area and condensation in there needs to be minimised.

I'm thinking of calling her "Pippy", because it kinda looks like she has pigtails (pippy long stockings).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Re: Blondie's Modified Barbet Still

Postby googe » Fri May 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Ill be honest and say I have no idea what the diagrams are lol. Will have to have a look online or something. Well done trying new things mate, good luck with the build, will be interesting.
googe

Postby bt1 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:12 pm

howdy,

It''s a batch still for mine... I can't see the design feeding wash in separately and there's only 1 wash loaded boiler unlike a continuous would have ...or am I missing something here? Is this pinching the take off design and applying to a batch still...seems better to me.

seems the aim is to have two off take methods for ease, tailored to the drink prefs ...minimising efforts....in which case it's be a "Variable Take off-plated-batch still" yes?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Yeah those diagrams aren't that simple. The idea is that the value goes through the first rc, which reduces the volume to about an eighth of what it was, the roughly 80% then goes to a second column of reduced diameter for further purification. There is then a second rc, so its like feeding the product of a plated still into a packed still. Or alternatively you can switch the 3 way valve, bypass the 2nd column and and use it as a 5 plate bubbler for rum etc.
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 17, 2013 6:18 pm

bt1 wrote:howdy,

It''s a batch still for mine... I can't see the design feeding wash in separately and there's only 1 wash loaded boiler unlike a continuous would have ...or am I missing something here? Is this pinching the take off design and applying to a batch still...seems better to me.

seems the aim is to have two off take methods for ease, tailored to the drink prefs ...minimising efforts....in which case it's be a "Variable Take off-plated-batch still" yes?

bt1

Yep exactly, just taking the concept and applying it to my batch still. Nothing continuous about my plan.
blond.chap

Postby googe » Fri May 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Think I understand it a bit better now, just one issue, where is the takeoff for the concentrator?. When you said you would like the reflux to be coming into the top plate instead of lower down, could you turn your 3 way value around vertical and have the Lyme arm going up higher then down and into the top plate?. Be a bloody high still though lol. into the concentrater
googe

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 pm

The takeoff from the concentrator is the 50mm curve. The feed to the 3 way valve is just a pipe passing through the curve.

Yeah I'd do that to feed the top plate, but most of the reason for doing this is to keep the height low.
blond.chap

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Well done for thinking and posting blondie.
Can you give a bit better "schematic"? I think I can see what your doing, but applying the detail of the text to the picture is pretty difficult and I'd hate to think I'm missing something.

You already own a pretty good concentrator. I can say you will need some fliud locks in your plumbing once you work out which parts are going to have vapor and where the product will end up going.
emptyglass

Postby blond.chap » Sat May 18, 2013 5:46 pm

WineGlass wrote:Well done for thinking and posting blondie.
Can you give a bit better "schematic"? I think I can see what your doing, but applying the detail of the text to the picture is pretty difficult and I'd hate to think I'm missing something.

You already own a pretty good concentrator. I can say you will need some fliud locks in your plumbing once you work out which parts are going to have vapor and where the product will end up going.

Cheers EG. As far as fluid locks, there is one liquid lock on the excess reflux return, but I was thinking of either putting a U bend or a ball valve on the return. Problem with the ball valve is I could forget it and flood the column.

Here's a block flow diagram of the process (click on the images to enlarge):
Pippy Design BFD.jpg

And here's the diagram with full detail (the red numbers correspond to the diagram above):
Pippy Design (don't delete).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 pm

So the build has started and come along a bit. Here's some pictures:

Mock-up, concentrator will be to the left, product condenser to the right
WP_000331.jpg

3- Way valve
WP_000332.jpg

Plates
WP_000333.jpg

Bottom plate fed from concentrator (detachable by stainless union)
WP_000334.jpg
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

I think I lost these progress pics in the server move:

WP_000000.jpg

WP_000001.jpg

WP_000002.jpg

WP_000008.jpg

WP_000009.jpg
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

WP_000011.jpg
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Slow progress:
WP_000013.jpg

WP_000017.jpg
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm

I've now added the feed pipe to the 2nd column, and all of the sight glasses are ready to go. She's still a bit uneven, so will need a little percussive maintenance. I'm hoping to have it doing a steam run by the end of the week. (depending on how much time I spend making cider. Final items are, excess reflux return to 1st column, cooling line adjustment, and testing/cleaning. Should be running within the fortnight.
blond.chap

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your first real run, I reckon this rig is going to be awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. I'm still a bit uncertain on how its going to run, I flick between thinking it will fail, to it won't be any improvement, to it'll take high speeds and still make good stuff, then back to thinking it'll fail. The proof will come soon enough...
blond.chap

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Well the big day came today, pretty excited seeing this baby go. It's pretty much finished, has been soaked in vinegar and had the first steam run (video below). There are a few leaks to fix up, and I've got a few gaskets and 1 more triclamp in the post, which will help.

It's pretty cool switching the valve and watching the vapour pass through the 2nd column.

Here's some pictures:
WP_000036.jpg

WP_000037.jpg

WP_000040.jpg

WP_000041.jpg

WP_000031.jpg

Sorry for the abrupt ending, see if you can guess why I stopped mid video.

blond.chap

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Looking good!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 pm

All sorts of crazy shit happened when I watched that vid but looks to me like the lid poped off the gin basket
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Yummyrum wrote:All sorts of crazy shit happened when I watched that vid but looks to me like the lid poped off the gin basket

Close, but the gin basket door was already off (missing a triclamp).
blond.chap

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills