Bubbler Chat

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Bubbler Chat

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:49 pm

G'day all,

I've been getting a fair few PM's from members regarding bubbler builds recently, it's good to know my passion in this hobby has some interest and thought this type of still design deserves it's own catagory.

Instead of answering everyones questions multiple times I though a topic where you guys could discuss your intentions and ask each other questions would be good, of course I will answer anything I can in this area, but it should save me answering those same questions numerous times via PM :)

While I dont pretend to know it all, or build the best out there, I do have a good understanding of this design and can now say I've refined it enough to keep these things reasonably cheap to build without all the hype of the unnecessary extras people are going on about elsewhere.

So here it is... :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Bubbler Chat

Postby 8-ball » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:21 pm

well ive officially started my build on sunday while stripping a rum wash just cut some 4 inch and marked out my plates starting working on my drop in condenser ect need to sell that 4m of 4inch to help fund it
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm pretty sure there's about 3 members building these now, well about to start at least.... thank you for your confession :text-lol:

Care to expand on any details yet or are you making decisions as you go?

Go oversize down comers, I use 3/4 for mine now... reason being that 1/2 inch tend to flood then puke through the product condenser with 90% ABV and I'm not the only one who's had a fucken big fire from following/using another design elsewhere ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Ive notice that most of these builds have very different plates.
Question 1: What works best and why???
Question 2 :Obviously the perforated plate is going to be easiest to build and cheapest.....how does it compare to the others performance wise???

P4111420.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:13 pm

That bubble cap plate was a failure SBB, it either needs to be soldered to the column walls or have a weir around it... I put a weir around those because I wanted the plate tree removeable and it worked great.

I've read a lot about different plate setups and tried a few different kinds, to be honest I've found the differences to be not worth worrying about and went back to perforated plates for a while.

I'm using bubble caps on my newest build but this build is a whole new ball game, but for 4" rigs perforated plates are just as good as any ;)

On my last couple of builds I've drilled holes every 5mm in a grid pattern, hole size was 1.5mm and works awesome.... out of all the plate trees I've built the last two work best, Big Don has one and I have the other.

All trees have performed the same as in ABV% but the last two have had better take off rates, but I think that's only because I can really throw some heat at it without flooding because of the over sized down comers, and I've not noticed any difference in flavor from any type of plate design.

I've built 3, 4 & 5 plated columns in 3" and 4" and the best of the lot for flavor while still getting 90% + ABV is the 4 perforated plate I'm using now, this rig is the best I've built yet and I'm totally happy with it in every way.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 8-ball » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:26 pm

ima making it up as i go depending on funds at the time its going to be a slow careful build, im going the perferated plate with 3/4 downcomers as you suggested, 4plates thinking about removable depending if i go straight 4in connection to the keg or just keep the 2in and use a reducer

i may upload pics and start a build thread once i have something to show
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Mac, extremely helpfull.......which one is it that your using now :laughing-rolling: .....you build so many Ive lost track :(
Edit:......Ok this one isnt it ??? http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=549
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Good move 8 ball, you wont regret the larger down comers on perforated plates & 4 plates is great. I've also started thinking that removing the plate tree is not really needed, I've never bothered to change the number of plates so why bother building around it is where I'm heading ;)

SBB, the one I'm using now is this one ;)

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=549
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Oye! how come i cant see the attached pics? :cry:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 pm

kimbo wrote:Oye! how come i cant see the attached pics? :cry:

He has this little editing problem :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

And I thought it was just me :(
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Check at the top of the page to see if your logged in.
Does it say "you dont have permission to view the attachment" or some such?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Stig.....Im logged in on this page....hit the link to the other page and Im not logged in :o :think: :think:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I thought so, working on it.
Just click login again.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby R-sole » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:11 am

Commercial Interest Declaration

Not to splash my ads all over the board, but it looks like Artisan Copper Works is getting very close to production boroscillate glass lenses for you bubble guys. ATM they are working on 50mm and 40mm glass lenses with silicon 'O' ring seals. Testing is still going on to find a way to seal these direct to a ferrule without a backing ferrule atm.

It's looking good so far and i'm hoping we'll be introducing larger size lenses and 'O' rings. 8-)

I wil post in the ad downstairs when they arrive in the country. Will be a few weeks yet :hand:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:40 am

That is good news 5Star, it would be great to be able to buy the whole unit from one place.

It would be even better if they were done with the copper ferule ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 am

stainlessbubble1.JPG

I was actually asked this morning if there would be any interest in these with a bubble plate and a sightglass installed...

Could work out to be around the $200-250 mark landed. 8-)

Lot cheaper than the copper balls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:28 pm

A quick question before I grind to much of the plates Im making.
What is the maximum amount of clearance you can have between the plates and the pipe wall. Is a couple of thou ok or do they have to be a perfect fit.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Yeah a couple of though is fine, the closer the better but no need to be perfect
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:35 am

G'day Mac, before I start marking out and drilling a gazzilon tiny holes I want to check on something else.
The photo below which is of your current stills plates shows 5 holes either side of the mounting rod in the centre row. In other words there are ten holes in the longest row excluding the center hole that the 6 ml rod goes through.
Using the measurements that you've given for a 5ml grid patten Im going to end up with 7 holes each side of the threaded rod, or 14 holes in the longest row. Hope this makes sense...dont want to drill a heap of holes and find out Ive stuffed up. Im presuming that the 5 ml grid is correct and for some reason you did that one differently.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills