starting to build a plated column

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: starting to build a plated column

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:59 pm

woodduck wrote:Hey canuck,

Thanks for your kind words :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

I used 2" flattened out and it was only just big enough for my 114mm dia glass, so you will need to check if your glass will fit plus room for bolt, washer, nut etc. It will pay to draw it out on paper so you can get a good look at it in full scale. As for rigidity, my plates seem good at this stage the only movement in my column is the top of the keg ( am thinking about some braces from keg to column to help). I found not to heat the 2" up to much when anealing, just till you see a bluey wet look, it doesn't seem as soft as when it gots red hot imho.if you are worried i have seen someone solder 2 plates together, sandwich like, this apparently strengthens the plates alot.

Just wondering, how will you know how well your plates work or your still is running if you can't see them. From what i hear you really need sg's on at least plate number 1.

Keep up the good work :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm keen to watch this build.

got a bit of 2" 1.5 doesn't cut it unfortunately, have a en foot stick of it! thank you for the tips. I figure nothing is soldered, so no big bang theory happening. I guess I am looking for an ABV bump.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Canuck » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:01 am

thx Linny I will be reading that thread today! :smile:
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Canuck » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:23 am

MacStill wrote:3" bubblers work a treat, I built a beauty of a semi modular one a few years back.... I'll try find the thread on it, I think it's on this forum somewhere.

Basicaly modular with a slide in tree, single large bubble cap with 20mm bath depths.... one of my prettiest builds to date that worked really well, not fast but it was not a slow performer either :handgestures-thumbupleft:

so .... I have made two of these cute little bubble plates for my 3" fit tight figure two more, just experimenting a bit no glass. plan to run like I think DBV looks to product to judge...
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:53 am

just found your thread Linny! love reading this stuff. want to go round on plates but more $ pipe or plate is sparse on the ground in these parts.
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:01 am

did a 5 gallon malt wash yesterday with two bubble plates in the column. bumped the ABV nicely compared to last run. This distilling thing might be habit forming. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

Postby 1 2many » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:45 pm

You must have the same camera as bt1 he can only post thumbnail size pics too. :teasing-tease: :teasing-neener:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bt1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Easy 1 2,

I felt that... :D

btw changed phones so all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Here's the proof
WP_20141013_18_51_47_Smart[1].jpg

So crisp picy like the beer a AG American light Lager, with wonderful balance, well lagered for several weeks, 1micron filtered, ployclar, good background bittering = Simcoe and some very fresh dry hopped Citra & Centennial with a touch of Nelson Sav ... produced for Bathurst .. Good race ...great beers

Trust the picy conveys the aroma :teasing-neener:

bt1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby 1 2many » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Mate that is much better, beer is looking real nice bt1. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby lsydd » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:39 am

Coleman.jpg
Canuck wrote:
bt1 wrote:Canuck the plate diameter seems to be equal to the glass diameter.

How did you intend to bolt/clamp it together here?

bt1

I think two different builds, I'm screwing around with a 3" mod VM/ pot and putting some plates in it as a shits and giggles thing but want to make a bubbler. want to use flattened 2" for the plates but am concerned about their rigidity thoughts?

First off, Canuck, thanks for sharing your work. I notice you have the Coleman bell-shaped lantern globes. When I went to Wally-Mart that was all they had too. I happened to be in the camping/outdoor section of Canadian Tire and happened upon these. They are straight-sided about 4-1/4" wide and 4-1/2" high.
Your glasser build looks like a classic....you are inspiring the ever-livin' bee-jay-zuss in me. Time to get off my bony ass and get busy. Gotta get my priorities straight...grandkids, leaky roof and a big ol' honking tree branch sticking in my barn roof will have to wait! :laughing-rolling:
lsydd

equipment: 55l SS potstill, vm and hopefully a glasser....soon

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills