starting to build a plated column

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

starting to build a plated column

Postby Canuck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:06 am

I'm starting to fool around with the idea of making a plated column, right now I'm just going to slide a couple plates in a 3" to see if there is any effect? need to work on finding glass, hard here in Canada. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm just in the design/experiment phase. I made this plate this afternoon with 3/4 inch caps on 1/2" tube. not 100% on all dimensions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Re: starting to build a plated column

Postby Canuck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:49 pm

never mind, throw four plates in and see what happens... on to a glasser I think, can get borosilicate 4.5" *4.5" for about 17 dollars. cheers :greetings-waveyellow: :greetings-waveyellow:
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Ah the glasser bug has bitten again :laughing-rolling:

That's a good start you're done there. That plate looks really good. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate I'm not sure on sizes either, I just gathered what info I could from this site and just winged the rest. It has been said that in these small scale stills there is a bit of tolarence. Keep posting lots of photos and hopefully someone will point out if you're not on the right track.

Well mate best of luck and I'm sure it will all come together ok :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Hey Canuck
I think the reason no one answered is there are very few running 3".

All the best with the 4.5"
Keep us posted and don't forget......

:text-worthless:

:D :D :D .

Looking forward to the build :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Linny » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey mines a 3" LOL , and im very happy with it. though i probably so far pull about 1.8 L/H rather than the 2.5 like i used to on the 4. . . I think it comes down to what can you get your hands onto. So go forth and produce !
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Canuck wrote:I'm starting to fool around with the idea of making a plated column, right now I'm just going to slide a couple plates in a 3" to see if there is any effect? need to work on finding glass, hard here in Canada. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm just in the design/experiment phase. I made this plate this afternoon with 3/4 inch caps on 1/2" tube. not 100% on all dimensions.

Hey mate throw some design specs out there and you might get some design advice, the more you put into your post the more likely people are going to answer.
Well that's what I think anyway.

There isn't really a lot that can be advised if your just going to slide some plates in :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:

Give us your ideas, sizes, restrictions with your environment etc. You're in Canada so it gets bloody cold, so I guess your running indoors? What are the roof restrictions?

All the info on plate ratios is here, and some guys know it off the top of their head but unless you give some information to them they aren't just gonna spill the beans IYKWIM

Not trying to give you a hard time just a gentle nudge, I want to see this thread become a great build, so tell us your plans ;-)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:38 am

thanks for your input, this is my third try at this post :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: every time i get to the end i get booted! anyway I've read through the almost wordless build and the Woodduck glass build great stuff major skills! the reason for the original post was an interest in the bubble cap technology, how difficult it would be to build etc. did'nt want to do a whole now build so thought this 3" idea might work, I found building the plate fairly easy and quick, so I would like to try my hand a a glass still. I've found a 4.25 *4.25 *3mm Coleman lantern globe and am wondering if you guys think that would serve? after posting I reread it and it seemed rather stupid to ask for advice on this experiment... that was the never mind moment. I will finish the other plates cause now I'm curious, then on to the new still. dimensions for 3" plate: caps are 3/4", 1/2" pipe sticks out 13mm, they just sit on the plate. the slots are 5mm *1mm, there are 4 10mm holes drilled in the top of each 1/2 " pipe. downcomer is same design with 50mm of tube above the cap, cap is slightly flared above the plate.
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:42 am

tried to add pics.. still booted me again.. got smart third time around and saved the post. the glass is visible in the second pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:49 am

hello Linny, I would be interested in hearing more about your still any dimensions, or info on how you run yours, pics... would be welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Canuck

Postby bt1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:39 am

Canuck the plate diameter seems to be equal to the glass diameter.

How did you intend to bolt/clamp it together here?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:53 am

3" bubblers work a treat, I built a beauty of a semi modular one a few years back.... I'll try find the thread on it, I think it's on this forum somewhere.

Basicaly modular with a slide in tree, single large bubble cap with 20mm bath depths.... one of my prettiest builds to date that worked really well, not fast but it was not a slow performer either :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby sp0rk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:42 am

Mac, do you think a 2.5" bubbler might be pushing it with getting too small?
I've seen around that 2" is too small and 3" is pretty good, so just curious if I could use up some of my spare 2.5" pipe on a small bubbler
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 am

I think you could do it but that bit of 2.5" would better suit a product condenser for a nice 4" rig :D

Anything less than a 3" plater just wouldn't be worth it IMHO, for the amount of work involved anything less would be a backwards step ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby sp0rk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:04 pm

Lucky I made my PC so it can be swapped between my future rigs (I'm a cheap bastard) :D
Alrighty, might just use the rest of the 2.5" for a VM/LM and build or buy a bubbler a little further down the track
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:13 pm

bt1 wrote:Canuck the plate diameter seems to be equal to the glass diameter.

How did you intend to bolt/clamp it together here?

bt1

I think two different builds, I'm screwing around with a 3" mod VM/ pot and putting some plates in it as a shits and giggles thing but want to make a bubbler. want to use flattened 2" for the plates but am concerned about their rigidity thoughts?
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:28 pm

what I'm doing right now is putting blind bubble caps no (4 no windows) in a 3" column, just noodling with the cap thing. second plate was quick about an hour from start to finish while wife was doing dinner... cutting caps is very zen wax on wax off, wax on wax off............
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:54 pm

my thoughts outpace my intellect, plate rigidity comment was about bubbler, glass is 4.25 * 4.25" *3 mm thick. want to do a round plate build like woody. wow honestly.. hero build.
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:04 pm

MacStill wrote:3" bubblers work a treat, I built a beauty of a semi modular one a few years back.... I'll try find the thread on it, I think it's on this forum somewhere.

Basically modular with a slide in tree, single large bubble cap with 20mm bath depths.... one of my prettiest builds to date that worked really well, not fast but it was not a slow performer either :handgestures-thumbupleft:

hope this is OK have been speaking with Mrs Mac re some caps lenses etc, she has been terrific shipping kills and I'm making caps and considering a glasser please let her know noot to spend any more time on me, thx. ill send a note as well.
Canuck

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Hey canuck,

Thanks for your kind words :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

I used 2" flattened out and it was only just big enough for my 114mm dia glass, so you will need to check if your glass will fit plus room for bolt, washer, nut etc. It will pay to draw it out on paper so you can get a good look at it in full scale. As for rigidity, my plates seem good at this stage the only movement in my column is the top of the keg ( am thinking about some braces from keg to column to help). I found not to heat the 2" up to much when anealing, just till you see a bluey wet look, it doesn't seem as soft as when it gots red hot imho.if you are worried i have seen someone solder 2 plates together, sandwich like, this apparently strengthens the plates alot.

Just wondering, how will you know how well your plates work or your still is running if you can't see them. From what i hear you really need sg's on at least plate number 1.

Keep up the good work :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm keen to watch this build.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Linny » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Canuck wrote:hello Linny, I would be interested in hearing more about your still any dimensions, or info on how you run yours, pics... would be welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Canuck here is my build thread :http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5643

I ended up buying hole saws etc off ebay for once off jobs , elements i got off mac ... and my shotgun after i gave up on my welding skills. If i was to do this again i would have made the condensers out of copper , but i would have tigged them and filled holes with soft solder HAHAHA. But overall im extremely happy with still.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills