Jumping on the Bandwagon

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Jumping on the Bandwagon

Postby R-sole » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:58 am

Trying my hand at parts of a bubble column build for one of the members here.

I've had the idea in my head for a while of being able to pull a branch from the 4" column with a branchforming tool for a while now. It seems to go OK, although it's a lot of work, but gives some dents and deformities where the tool sits..

bubbler1.jpg

bubbler2.jpg

I think it's still going to be OK without panelbeating, but won't be able to tell for sure until i get some plates cut and try em in there.

More piccies as work progresses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Re: Jumping on the Bandwagon

Postby maheel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:10 am

got a picture or a link of the tool your using, i did a google but nothing for that application showed it;s picture.

looks very natural and with some good weld / brazing and polishing would look smick
maheel

Postby eminiM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:12 am

sieve or tray column?
are you brazing in the ferrules or welding?
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:24 am

If you did a J type, or 3/4 tube into a 1" cup type down comer setup on each plate you could solder all the plates in, soft soldering the plates in by heating from the outside works really well and any small imperfections wouldn't matter.

The tree wouldn't be removable like this but there's never any real need to remove them anyway.

P4111420.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 am

Love the work bench 5Star....reminds me of mine...everything in its place :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:40 am

maheel wrote:got a picture or a link of the tool your using, i did a google but nothing for that application showed it;s picture.

looks very natural and with some good weld / brazing and polishing would look smick

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rothenberger ... _500wt_949

Save up if you want one :laughing-rolling:

I'll be brazing, but polishing is not my cup of tea.

I'm doing this modular atm, as i'm trying to avoid building the plates. I need to price to get some plates cut for the condensor anyway, so may negotiate further with the owner about putting them together and soldering them in. Would certainly save some expensive fittings if i did the plates as well. :crazy:

I do have an idea about press forming dish plates, but i don't know whether it would work.

Bench is sorted in chronological order.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:45 am

5Star wrote:Bench is sorted in chronological order.

lol

thanks for the link for too now i understand
maheel

Postby bang300 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 am

I have a different take on the cluttered shop...I used to clean everything up and put it in rolling tool boxes every night, until thieves wheeled it all out the door one night. If they want to steal my stuff again, they'll have to pack it themselves!

Pipe looks great
bang300

equipment: Condenser Controlled VM

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:07 pm

G'day 5Star
I'm just thinkin' out loud here so forgive me if this is a fucked idea.....
those indents in the column that the tool leaves behind are they on annealed copper ? what would be wrong with placing a piece of unannealed tube section ie: a piece of 4" cut in half length ways with say a 2 1/4 hole in it where the branch is gunna pull thru, would the tool handle that thickness under where the tool sits ? leaving protected annealed tube after the branch is pulled thus no dents !!.........would that work ???

nuthin' wrong with that bench either, looks homely to me ( just like mine)

cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Tracker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Sounds like a plan Stan

Cheers.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Postby R-sole » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:47 am

stubbydrainer wrote:G'day 5Star
I'm just thinkin' out loud here so forgive me if this is a fucked idea.....
those indents in the column that the tool leaves behind are they on annealed copper ? what would be wrong with placing a piece of unannealed tube section ie: a piece of 4" cut in half length ways with say a 2 1/4 hole in it where the branch is gunna pull thru, would the tool handle that thickness under where the tool sits ? leaving protected annealed tube after the branch is pulled thus no dents !!.........would that work ???

nuthin' wrong with that bench either, looks homely to me ( just like mine)

cheers
Stubs

You're right, that'd work making a guard. I have to anneal the pipe in order for the tool to work, but i could do what you said in future.
R-sole

Postby olddog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:58 am

I never thought I would see the day when 5Star builds a Flute :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Go Gaz Go..
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby MacStill » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 am

my spirits wrote:I never thought I would see the day when 5Star builds a Flute :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Go Gaz Go..

He's not ;)

He's building a bubbler :teasing-poke:

:teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:10 am

The old saying...."If ya cant beat them join them" ;)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby olddog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:15 am

McStill wrote:He's building a bubbler

Ya can give it whatever name makes you happy :text-lol: :text-lol: :text-lol:
It's great to see how this concept has now been accepted by the hobby distilling community.
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby MacStill » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:26 am

my spirits wrote:It's great to see how this concept has now been accepted by the hobby distilling community.

yep sure is, and if it wasn't for OD we'd all be left in the dark ages ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Atm i'm building bits of one. I am getting swayed by the new buisness in town (opened this week) doing cnc.

Problem is that my job broke his plasma cutter :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

The plates i was spossed to pick up yesti arvo aren't done and he doesn't know what's going obn with his robot and why it's on strike.

Interesting times, and lucky the eventual owner is not in a hurry. Seems it may well end up cheaper and easier for me to build the whole thing than it would be to put all the joints in it so that someone else who doesn't want to build it has to :D 8-)

If i can get a system down pat using ACW parts and local suppliers there may be a way to do these regularly, It'd just look so fuking awesome on one of festers boilers. :o
R-sole

Postby R-sole » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:05 am

Well it's a fail. The tool warps the column too much to be able to fit a plate down there properly, let alone a whole tree.

There's just too many hours in constructing these the long way for me to be able to find, let alone charge for. :oops:

WandersoffStageLeftMutteringPunkin
R-sole

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 am

That's a real shame about the branch forming tool, I thought you were on a winner there :crazy:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 am

Yeh me too! :( :(
and the way it rolled out the branch looked pretty darn smick to me
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills