Stainless Glasser

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Stainless Glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:26 pm

It works good for sure rum but the drill over heats too quickly, if I didn't have a pedistal drill out at work I'd buy a cheapy bunnings drill and flog it till it died, don't want my good drill to go up in flames.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:48 pm

I blew up my hitachi battery grinder on friday. :angry-banghead: One tool that I cant do withount.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:59 am

Forgot to put these up the other day.

image.jpg

Adding the slots to the jig meant I only had to measure once.
Cutting all 25 caps took less than an hour and are all the same( all equally bad that is!)

image.jpg

But they're done.
Plates are too but didn't get a photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Very nice work on your bubble caps mate, keep the pics coming. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodduck » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Nice caps, well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
From my experience i wouldn't bother polishing them too much more cause after the first run they loose their color, well unless you want a real nice photo before she's put to work.

I also like your bench, I'd love a nice heavy bench like that. Bench and anvil in one.

Keep up the good work
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Them som der shiny caps :))
Looking good mate keep the pics coming.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:44 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: thanks guys,
Woodduck, just trying to keep up with you!! It was pretty quick and easy to sand them to a 600 grit using your drill mount method, cheers for that. Figure you only get one chance to get that 1st picsomeone has to knock you off the featured build eventually... :shifty:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Doubleuj wrote::handgestures-thumbupleft: thanks guys,
Woodduck, just trying to keep up with you!! It was pretty quick and easy to sand them to a 600 grit using your drill mount method, cheers for that. Figure you only get one chance to get that 1st picsomeone has to knock you off the portal page eventually... :shifty:

Haha i was thinking the same thing :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
rumdidlydum

Postby woodduck » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:59 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:
Woodduck, just trying to keep up with you!! It was pretty quick and easy to sand them to a 600 grit using your drill mount method, cheers for that. Figure you only get one chance to get that 1st picsomeone has to knock you off the portal page eventually... :shifty:

About time too. You lot have been pretty slack with the builds lately :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I'm glad a few of my tips have helped :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:04 pm

^:)^ :laughing-rolling: Watch this space 8-)
rumdidlydum

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:08 pm

woodduck wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:

About time too. You lot have been pretty slack with the builds lately :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I'm glad a few of my tips have helped :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft: glad you could have a laugh at that. :teasing-tease:
Was thinking of starting a "who can out do Woodduck" thread after The Ducks Nuts.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Yer i had a good laugh :handgestures-thumbupleft: it'd be a pretty busy thread i recon :))

I've definitely had a fair run on the portal which has been great and there are some good builds in the pipeline so i look forward to seeing who knocks me off the top spot.

So come on guys get those gas torches and solder out and go hard, show us what ya can do :music-deathmetal:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Ok
Been away from this for a while because of work.
image.jpg

Had to flare the ends of my risers as the holes in the plates were too big after annealing, so I found this 10mm countersunk bolt in an old box of bolts etc and with a bit of garden hose as a centring device I was able to flare the ends out just enough.
image.jpg

This meant I could hang the plates off the edge of the bench and apply heat from underneath, found this works well
image.jpg

Made up the downcomers and soldered them in too
image.jpg

image.jpg

All in all a good weekend, still needs a good clean up of stray solder and a acid bath but feels good to make some progress
My risers and downcomers aren't really straight but hoping this won't matter too much? The caps still sit level and straight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Good work mate. Love the idea for flaring the pipe il have a try at it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Yeah it was so simple after I realised it. Worked well. Saved $50 on a proper flaring tool, and it did my job perfectly
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Got my silicon mats today :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And some malt! Now that I know what that is
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:49 pm

What ya reckon??? BLUE!!!
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Verry nice mate where did you get that from
rumdidlydum

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:30 pm

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/30x40cm-Silicone-Oven-Bake-Baking-Sheet-Mat-Liner-Clay-Pastry-Tool-Rolling-HKCUS-/151689503339?nav=SEARCH
eBay, said its silicone, feels like silicone, a bit thin for my thinking so I might have to double up. Guess it's safe to use?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm

How you going dj :confusion-waiting:
:laughing-rolling:
rumdidlydum

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills