The Heart of Gold

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Zak's Heart of Gold

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:04 pm

image.jpg

It's not much, but I got the 1"-2" reducer for the top of my parrot filed out to slip over the 1" pipe tonight after work :handgestures-thumbupleft: one step closer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 pm

After a fair bit of re-research I'm going to make my RC 120mm long with 20+ 1/2" inners and use the 80mm section that I've already got cut for a gin basket in the blockhead. I want to be able to run it on a recirc setup without any issues, and will have a needle valve to control water flow. Don't want to make an 80mm RC and work out that its not enough!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby coffe addict » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:50 pm

I'm thinking similar just changed my rc to hold 9 x 19mm tubes. In the hope it will be a bit of over kill and might handle a thumper aswell.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:30 pm

coffe addict wrote:I'm thinking similar just changed my rc to hold 9 x 19mm tubes. In the hope it will be a bit of over kill and might handle a thumper aswell.

use 1/2"
I used 3/4, i reckon it's too big...
take heed of Zak's build.
Zak is the grand poobah of blockheads.
Zak knows things.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 pm

I only know what I've read mate! Across the board, more small pipes in a shotgun will be more efficient than more bigger pipes (to a certain point, I'm sure... I'm a rigger, not a thermodynamic engineer.)

I can't recall seeing anyone rebuild the RC or PC on a bubbler and go to fewer, bigger inners, but plenty rebuild and go for more, smaller ones (like rumdidlydum).

Going to pick up my drill and some 1/2" copper tonight, I might even get a start on my condensers this week :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:05 pm

i would do 1/2" but it would need to be heaps as every time you double the diameter of pipe the flow rate decreases 4 times. going from 1/2" to 3/4" the flow rate decreases 2.25 times so if you have 9 * 3/4" tubes then 20+ 1/2" tubes will have the same volume flow rate.

as for surface area the 20* 1/2" has 1.5 times more surface area than the 9* 3/4" tubes for the vapour to have contact.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby EziTasting » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I only know what I've read mate! Across the board, more small pipes in a shotgun will be more efficient than more bigger pipes (to a certain point, I'm sure... I'm a rigger, not a thermodynamic engineer.)

I can't recall seeing anyone rebuild the RC or PC on a bubbler and go to fewer, bigger inners, but plenty rebuild and go for more, smaller ones (like rumdidlydum).

Going to pick up my drill and some 1/2" copper tonight, I might even get a start on my condensers this week :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think you'll find its all about surface area & the resulting cooling effect. Few larg pipes = lots of steam passing thru, not a lot of it touching and cooling Dow. Heaps of small pipes = smaller amounts of steam going thru and lots of it touching the cooling steel, hence greater capacity to condense the steam into liquid alcohol!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Like I said, I just lift heavy things... But doesn't more surface area = better cooling capability? So 20x 1/2" is 1.5x better than 9x 3/4"?

Ezi is onto it.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby coffe addict » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Points taken, however it's been knocked up now.
I'm fairly sure it'll handle a standard 4in and if I build a thumper it might need revisiting.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Also depends on your cooling water supply and temperature, and if you're going to do back to back runs...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby bluess57 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:After a fair bit of re-research I'm going to make my RC 120mm long with 20+ 1/2" inners and use the 80mm section that I've already got cut for a gin basket in the blockhead. I want to be able to run it on a recirc setup without any issues, and will have a needle valve to control water flow. Don't want to make an 80mm RC and work out that its not enough!

How's your soldering skills? More pipes, could be troublesome.
With my skills, no way I'd attempt it.(That many inner pipes in an RC)
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:26 pm

bluess57 wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:After a fair bit of re-research I'm going to make my RC 120mm long with 20+ 1/2" inners and use the 80mm section that I've already got cut for a gin basket in the blockhead. I want to be able to run it on a recirc setup without any issues, and will have a needle valve to control water flow. Don't want to make an 80mm RC and work out that its not enough!

How's your soldering skills? More pipes, could be troublesome.
With my skills, no way I'd attempt it.(That many inner pipes in an RC)

take your time, clean each join before you solder and dont burn the flux and there wont be a problem. its when people rush they get problems and leaks
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:27 pm

That's the tradeoff... I'll be hard soldering my condenser internals, it's a fair bit less finicky.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby EziTasting » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:13 pm

coffe addict wrote:Points taken, however it's been knocked up now.
I'm fairly sure it'll handle a standard 4in and if I build a thumper it might need revisiting.

Guess you can always pull some SS wool up in to the larger pipes. That way you'll reduce the size of the larger pipes AND increasing the conductive condensing power...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Go for it zak :handgestures-thumbupleft: Fyi I made a sprinkler with 20 1/2inch internals thats being used as a paper weight :oops: I have yet to get motivated and have another go.
Have a go at soft solder first, I used hard solder and I managed to flow it fine, the problems were when it cools down and you get Double Uj 's blody tinks :laughing-rolling:
(As the inner pipes cool and due to diferent thermal mass colling at diferent rates they crack) which is when you re try soldering and end up making sprinklers :twisted:
But hey you could be gifted with a steady hand and a patient mind to comlpete it. :O)
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:30 pm

EziTasting wrote:
coffe addict wrote:Points taken, however it's been knocked up now.

Guess you can always pull some SS wool up in to the larger pipes. That way you'll reduce the size of the larger pipes AND increasing the conductive condensing power...

Yes this is my intermidate repair, its a small increase in cooling but not the way I wanted to do it :?
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up Rummy... I'll have a go, see what happens. I did the 9x 3/8" in 2" shotty for my pot still no worries, how hard can it be? :laughing-rolling:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Dig Brinker » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:59 am

I soft soldered my 19 X 1/2" RC and only had a small leak at each end which was easily fixed. And I'd never soldered before. You'll be right Zak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:08 am

Good to hear mate! I'm sure I'll be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Got half an hour in this afternoon...

Finished cleaning up the downcomers, drilled a hole for the parrot outlet and found a use for a shiny thing I found at work!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Parrot has a 1" body, 1"-2" reducer for the top and a 1/2" outlet. Inlet will be 1/2" with a bit of 3/4" at the top to hook up to;

image.jpg

This 1" OD to 3/4" SS SwageLok union. I've got to take a couple thou off the OD of the stainless so it fits in the 1" reducer at the bottom of the PC, and find a 3/4" brass (will never come into contact with vapour or spirit) swagelok nut to fit the theme of the build and I'll be off! The parrot will be vented underneath this using a 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/2" tee to prevent surging.

Home for 4 days tomorrow, I'll try to get my PC and parrot done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills