Building a shotty PC, tutorial video

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Building a shotty PC, tutorial video

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:29 am

While I was building my PC the other day I thought I'd have the camera running and show you blokes how I build them. It might be helpful for anyone thinking of building one.

There's 3 videos all up, an intro/part 1, finishing off/part 2 and one on how to draw and make the end plates. About 40 mins all up. They might be a little long but I thought it was important to show how long it takes to solder stuff up so to know if your traveling ok and it can take a while.

First up I would like to thank this forum for it's massive knowlage resorce that allowed me to start building stuff like this. If it wasn't for the great blokes here posting their trade secrets, especially Mac, I would never have built any still. This tutorial is nothing new, I learnt it from mac's thread here http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewt ... =41&t=3087
I just put it in a vid and just hope I did it justice.

Some things I should mention are,
If your doing the easy flange, solder the ring on before the end plate.
Cut your plates bigger than needed with tin snips them use a grinder/file to get them to a neat fit.
This method will work on 2,4 and 6" pipe maybe others and is the same for building RCs aswell.
If your holes and or plates are too small just hammer around the hole or edge to spread the plate to size.

Thats about it for now any questions let me know :handgestures-thumbupleft:

https://youtu.be/4aZ4Ls2_gL8

https://youtu.be/KAMMfUmP-Qc

https://youtu.be/QfI6A-JnSK8
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: Building a shotty PC, tutorial video

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Watched 2 and am waiting to get into #3 (Dads' taxi time). Love it, no BS very human and easy enough to follow... not that I will in the near future - too many projects ... something about a pool?!?! :teasing-tease:

Keep it up - we need more of these! Everyone...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:05 pm

EziTasting wrote: too many projects ... something about a pool?!?! :teasing-tease:

You mean a water recirculation pond :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 pm

bluc wrote:
EziTasting wrote: too many projects ... something about a pool?!?! :teasing-tease:

You mean a water recirculation pond :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:

Hehe looks like the pool just jumped the que... :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Sorry guys I was ment to post this a while ago but forgot.

For those wanting to do a 2", I put 5 1/2" tubes in. One in the centre then 4 on a radius of 16mm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:49 pm

I thought that since there are a few members thinking of building lately that these video's may be of use so I've moved them out here to the open forum for all to enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Happy building
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Fatguts » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Nice job. I've built a couple recently and wish id seen your videos before I started. I've been making the internal tube assembly first, soldering the tubes to the flange from what will be the inside and then guide it into 2" pipe with a very gentle interference fit and then solder it in.

Tube assembly.jpg

Inside.jpg

I guess as long as the desired result is achieved it doesn't matter how its assembled and ive had lots of failures up into this point (bad leaks, wrong measurements and geometry, soldered one using leaded solder by accident and dropped one and smashed off the tap fitting) Cheerily, mine are nearly finished, just got to get some ferrules or make some easy flanges

Nearly finished.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Return to Tips From The Workbench