removing the spear and circlip 50lt keg

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: removing the spear and circlip 50lt keg

Postby Konzo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:08 am

So whats the best method to clean the inside of the keg once removing the spear? Any particular tricks?
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

removing the spear and circlip 50lt keg

Postby Dominator » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:58 am

I put some warm water and dish washing liquid in mine and rolled it around the back yard then rinsed it out. Then I put a mix of half/half vinegar and water in and boiled.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Konzo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Dominator wrote:I put some warm water and dish washing liquid in mine and rolled it around the back yard then rinsed it out. Then I put a mix of half/half vinegar and water in and boiled.

Ok thanks, that's what I normally do just wasn't sure if any other tricks :-)
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:57 pm

so far today have damaged 3 screwdrivers and destroyed 2 handles of screwdrivers,clip still wont come off :angry-banghead:
pity universal key(sledgehammer) wont do it. Pension day tomorrow,I`ll just go to Melbourne,visit keg king,buy a keg with out spear,I dont need the hassle,this is hurting my arm to much. Over the years I find there are some things I just cant do. It seems removing the bloody clip and spear is one of them. Thank god the stove top pot still is still working
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby JayD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:41 pm

mate take a break and think about what you are doing ?...you do not have bash the daylights out of the screwdriver, hot water is your friend...all you need to do is get the screwdriver tigh enough to lever out the circlip...you damage nothing, then if the spear is giving you a hard time it's usually gummed up with dried up beer so hot water to loosen it up, then you turn the spear to the left or right and it while trying to lift it up and out...give it another go later once you get over your frustration, mate if I can do it so can you.
J... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby unsub » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Mate I've got one without the spear and I'm in the valley as well. I'l swap you if you want.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Gota take a break anyway mate,everytime move right arm it hurts,guess which arm has the loose bone shards up and down it.
I`ll have another go tommorow..oh yeah and I realise why you had your sleeves pushed up in the vid..yep kept head outa the way as you advised,gas shot straight up the sleeve, :))
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:55 pm

unsub wrote:Mate I've got one without the spear and I'm in the valley as well. I'l swap you if you want.
Yeah, thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: That`d be great
baysidebogan

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Another little hint when releasing pressure from kegs is to lay them on their side, sit on the keg and work on it from there to release the pressure, you wont end up with a face full of beer that way if there are any dregs left in the there.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby unsub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:42 am

Thats how I did mine SBB.

It's all good though I'm dropping a spear-less keg* off to baysidebogan tonight so he should be up and running in no time.

*Legally obtained :smile:
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Kimbo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:21 am

unsub wrote:Thats how I did mine SBB.

It's all good though I'm dropping a spear-less keg* off to baysidebogan tonight so he should be up and running in no time.

*Legally obtained :smile:

And that folks is what this forum is about.....That community spirit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby trolleyed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 pm

So I was levering away at this Lion Nathan keg after watching the video in this thread. Somehow I managed to push the rubber seal + center part right into the barrel, as the photo shows. It was rotating and can move around a little, but I'm stumped as to what I broke and how to get it out :think: Tried to rotate the assembly but I don't have a big enough pipe wrench to get some leverage on this thing!!

IMG_0494 (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trolleyed

equipment: None yet! Research phase.

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:43 pm

I have just done one set up the same way as the keg in your photo, and it turned out it has a clip up under the lip that needs to be squeezed together then levered out, once this is done you then rotate the top it it comes out of a ascending type of keyway lifts out. I'll try and upload a vid later on.
JayD

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:20 pm

I butchered mine, so I cut it off, ordered a 3" ferrule from Mac and welded that in its place. Easy! :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby trolleyed » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:28 pm

JayD wrote:I have just done one set up the same way as the keg in your photo, and it turned out it has a clip up under the lip that needs to be squeezed together then levered out, once this is done you then rotate the top it it comes out of a ascending type of keyway lifts out. I'll try and upload a vid later on.

An 18" pipe wrench and a friend made quick work of it :)
trolleyed

equipment: None yet! Research phase.

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:45 pm

trolleyed wrote:
JayD wrote:I have just done one set up the same way as the keg in your photo, and it turned out it has a clip up under the lip that needs to be squeezed together then levered out, once this is done you then rotate the top it it comes out of a ascending type of keyway lifts out. I'll try and upload a vid later on.

An 18" pipe wrench and a friend made quick work of it :)

So yours had a thread? the one we done I never saw that type before but it did look the same as the one pictured above.
JayD

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Had a keg given to me a few months ago but never got around to pulling the spear out.

It's the same as the photo a few posts further up.
Watched the video, :handgestures-thumbupleft: reckon I can have a go at this.

Well .... it didn't work as easy as I thought it might.... Sooooooo
I lifted the rubber seal with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver and cut it.
Peeled it out and then there is a thin stainless flange I popped out with the screwdriver.

The spear dropped into the keg and the spring came out

keg top rubber removed (Copy).JPG

Success :handgestures-thumbupleft: .... so far .... but to get the top flange off I needed a pipe wrench.... don't have one.
So brute force was applied.
Used a cold chisel and hammer to loosen the thread and bingo!!! it unscrewed. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Took the flange off and .... the spear dropped into the keg :handgestures-thumbdown: :angry-banghead:

Out with my ever present trusty "bit-o-wire" bent into the appropriate shape and... Voila out she came!!
keg top spear removed (Copy).JPG

So with no more than a few tools most of us have around, you can remove a spear. :dance: :happy-partydance: :dance:

DBV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Leggie » Sun May 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Well I have myself a Lion Keg and started on it yesterday after watching the vid.
Took me 5 mins.
Boom easy.
Now I'm just waiting on the element and the fill port and I'm into it.

Cheers
Leggie

equipment: Progressed from a home made keg still on a burner to a Turbo 500 Still. Have been typically buying products from brew shops (getting ripped off) and making your basic bourbon/whiskey using staves, chips and essences. Now the proud owner of a 5 Star SS Pot.

Postby Redux » Sat May 31, 2014 12:12 pm

job done!!

once i pulled out the seal, spring cap and spring it was 2 minutes work...

and rather charmingly... lion keg tops fit 2 inch clamps!!! woot! no welding there..

monday its off to the engineers to get a fill port added....

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

the build begins..(well it will once i find a stainless needle valve..)

cheers redux
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Clubby677 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Got mine out by cutting small cuts with a small grinder wheel then bang with a hammer, took the guts out and pulled it apart then shoved the main bit upside down in the two inch copper tube so it's now used as a guide when put onto the keg with a tri clamp :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Clubby677

equipment: Newbie
Keg pot still home made

Previous

Return to Tips From The Workbench