Hard soldering. Brazing. Silver.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Hard soldering. Brazing. Silver.

Postby scythe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Hence why i used the inverted commas around the word purge.
Probably should have used the word displace instead.

But then why are we talking about welding, this is a brazing thread.
Either way it should work.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:25 pm

Silly question: some say silver Brazing/Soldering is as strong as welding...

Now I am not convinced, BUT I have skills (like using a welder to cut steel - don't ask :angry-banghead: its genetic) so I am going to play with Silver Soldering/Brazing by brazing a 2" SS ferrule onto a fir extinguisher as a funky storage device, but would it be strong enough to use in building a modular boiler/still or not?

I understand that welding is stronger, but is it necessary? :think:
Last edited by EziTasting on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby scythe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Would you glue a bookcase together without nails or screws or dowels?

Similar concept really.
Brazing is just metal glue.
You can get quite a good join with silver brazing as long as your joint is designed correctly ie not a butt-join.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanx that makes sense (even to me)!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:08 am

hillzabilly wrote:No different to any of the others,citric bath,scrub with scrubbies another citric bath,then sak run and your away.And it will do stainless to stainless.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Hi Hillz, just a quick one please.

I'm putting together bits for a Gin head basket, rather than hassle my boily mate, is it possible to tack these SS elbows to my 4" end cap, just making a little handle for the top? There will be practically no weight or stress, it's just a handle for changing botanicals mid run.
Would soft solder do or I've got a stick of 15% silver brazing rod, and 2%. Have used a LPG torch for everything so far.

Cheers,

Chocko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Using those fittings is a waste ta me ,I used 6-8mm stainless bar in a ''u'' shape,I would just be patient until you have some other bits for welding,otherwise I would go with the 15% brazeing rods but you may struggle ta get the lpg torch up to temp,cannot comment on soft solder as I have never used it on stainless.I use a couple of caps with handles,one on top of my assembled plates for storage and transport,and another on the packed section for the same reasons,with seals I would use the silicone ones over the black EPDM as they stick and can be hard to remove .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:48 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Using those fittings is a waste ta me ,I used 6-8mm stainless bar in a ''u'' shape,I would just be patient until you have some other bits for welding,otherwise I would go with the 15% brazeing rods but you may struggle ta get the lpg torch up to temp,cannot comment on soft solder as I have never used it on stainless.I use a couple of caps with handles,one on top of my assembled plates for storage and transport,and another on the packed section for the same reasons,with seals I would use the silicone ones over the black EPDM as they stick and can be hard to remove .cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Thanks for that, I'll see if I can find some rod.!

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Another option would be a stainless drawer handle or knob like https://handlehouse.com.au/our-products ... l-handles/ may work and be cheap.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:26 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Another option would be a stainless drawer handle or knob like https://handlehouse.com.au/our-products ... l-handles/ may work and be cheap.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Good idea, I'll see what I can find.

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:05 pm

The handle or knob could be another material as its not in the vapour path,but use stainless screws washers and a silicone seal(silicone washer under the stainless washer) to retain it,if not welding or brazeing it on.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby Chocko6969 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:50 pm

hillzabilly wrote:The handle or knob could be another material as its not in the vapour path,but use stainless screws washers and a silicone seal(silicone washer under the stainless washer) to retain it,if not welding or brazeing it on.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Hillz,

I've done this, all 316SS with washer cut from a food grade silicone sheet. Looks the goods I reckon!
Gin Lid 01_resize.jpg
Gin Lid 02_resize.jpg

Chocko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:37 pm

Good easy diy solution :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm

That will doozy just fine I am thinkin.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby nanuk » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:55 am

I read a lot of older threads... and sometimes, a piece of info goes by without much response

scythe wrote:Would you glue a bookcase together without nails or screws or dowels?

Similar concept really.
Brazing is just metal glue.
You can get quite a good join with silver brazing as long as your joint is designed correctly ie not a butt-join.

I've done some woodwork, and I consider myself purely amateur.
But I can say without a doubt, a properly glued joint is stronger than a joint with nails/screws. and dowels appear to help a bit for alignment, but overall strength? not so much. they just move the torque to other areas of wood, and it is that area that is weaker than the glued joint.

Now, Question:
how much joint is required for a certain amount of strength?
ie// for a butt joint, how much thickness is required for a soldered joint to be as strong as the pipe itself?
how about for hard/silver solder?
Brazing?

I believe in welding, if done well, the weld is stronger than the pipe, probably due to annealing

perhaps the same phenomena in copper and solder? I do know copper starts to soften at rather low temps.
nanuk

equipment: 2" Pot still head on a 20L pot

Postby Vickypoint2003 » Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 pm

For brazing 50mm copper pipe will a Bernzomatic ts8000 generate enough heat for a successful job or would a oxy/mapp torch be required. Just thinking because of the length of pipe a lot of heat absorbtion would be happening.

Anyone purchased one of the clone torches ts8000 from ebay they look identical except for the trade name.

Thanks
Vickypoint2003
Site Donor

equipment: Harrys crossflow condenser. Boka. Pot still

Postby RC Al » Sat May 27, 2023 9:36 pm

Any Map torch will do the job, I doubt the brand will make much difference beyond longevity - provided the orifice is the similar size, its the gas itself that matters most. Gas used = Torque (what gets done), Handpiece used = Horsepower (how fast you do it)

It will be mich easier if you pre heat the large bit first, a gas bbq with a plate removed is good for that, or just use the map
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 27, 2023 10:06 pm

As copper is such a good heat sink when soldering it is good advise to warm the whole secion as the heat will wick it's way in both both directions so once the whole part is warmed concentrating on the heat on the soldering part will do the job everytime nicely.
MAPP gas is purely a trade name for LPG and nothing more and it one needs needs more heat just add some oxy to the mix.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby chipboy » Sun May 28, 2023 3:27 pm

And make sure everything is clean before fluxing, dirty areas will not take well forming oxides under things.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby RC Al » Sun May 28, 2023 10:42 pm

Thanks Ruddy, made me go and read...

So they stopped making the good MAPP 15 years ago, it burned nearly 1000c hotter than the yellow bottles currently sold (they are 1950-2000ish), the new stuff dose burn a small amount hotter in temp, varies by brand, but the thing they bang on about is the 10% extra btu/energy in the flame, the old mapp was 25% higher again in btu, not proportional to the temp at all, isn't physics fun?

Where dose that leave us amateur soldering plebs? Dunno, but im going to dig my unused aldi map torch out and see how it stacks up against a lpg torch as soon as the opportunity presents (don't hold your breath folks lols).

Adding oxy is the best answer, but it pushes the cost out for most here who are really only wanting to build a still or so.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby harold01 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:54 pm

My brazing setup, the oxygen generator also doubles as an aerator for my wash when I first pitch the yeast
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Previous

Return to Tips From The Workbench