Joining pipe

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Joining pipe

Postby googe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:27 am

Hey all, need some help with joining same size pipe end to end. Have tried puting angles on each join, works to a degree but not good enough. Cant find joiners for this size pipe either, before you ask. Any ideas?. Thanks.

Cheers
googe

Re: Joining pipe

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:35 am

Good one googe 8-} (more imfo) You didn't say what size the pipe is or if there will be any load on it and if you intend to hard or soft solder it , kinda how longs a piece a string question pal
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:48 pm

32mm, 36mm, soft solder, no weight.
googe

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Yeah ok soft solders not something I know a lot about I was going to suggest flare it and silver solder or anneal and belt a pipe in to expand it some but soft sold might need more lap than that might pay to get a plumber to expand it for ya unless someone has a better idea, take it you don't have a pipe expander coz ya can shim them if you have to. The only other trick i can think of is buy a reducer to fit and cut it down to suit as a sleeve
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby mullamulla » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:49 pm

If it doesn't have to be strong and pretty what about chopping a bit off the end, make a cut across it, slide it over the join and solder it up :think:

Something like this over the join...

mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby JayD » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm

I soft solder my pipes end to end, if you look at Tinkerbell you can see where I added sections...after all you are only stacking the pipe not swingin off them. It has held for me. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby JayD » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

mullamulla wrote:If it doesn't have to be strong and pretty what about chopping a bit off the end, make a cut across it, slide it over the join and solder it up :think:

Something like this over the join...

nothing wrong with that idea either...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:56 am

I might try a flare crow thanks, i tried that a while but mulla but didnt work for me :-x , i think i ll have to try that one again and do it slow and ultra clean. i always get small holes jayd, driving me crazy!. Thanks fella's.
googe

Postby mullamulla » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Bummer... did you make sure everything was scrubbed back nice and bright fluxed up well?
I'm a big fan of Bakers Soldering Fluid myself, I find its harder to burn than other stuff.

Expanding one of the pipes like Crow says would be the optimal solution if you could find someone to do it..
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby crow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:30 pm

yeah the largest head i have for mine is one inch but I might have to invest in an 1-1/4 as I have miles of it here
crow

Postby googe » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Someone give me an uppercut please!, the pipe fitters at work will have all that gear, cant believe i didnt think of it :angry-banghead:
googe

Return to Tips From The Workbench