Tools of the trade

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Tools of the trade

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:54 am

Hey all, thought it might be nice to know what sort of tools people are using for what job. I have stuff all tools but do with what i have. I use a flapp wheel on my drill for cleaning joins, (yeah i know your not ment to put side load on drills), a flapp disc for sanding down parts. Domed head die grinder bit is the perfect fit for 1/2 inch tube when putting a 1/2 inch pipe into the side wall of a pipe. Would like to know other peoples ideas to use.

Cheers
googe

Re: Tools of the trade

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:42 am

Tools ha you are talking to tim the tool man here at my age and a life time of collecting i probley have every tool that was invented [except a lathe ] i worked with them all my life and i have a mate who has one
But the most usefull tools and the ones i use all the time is a Makita drill driver set [one drill one driver ] with the drill it will take so many drills small grinder discs rotary burs AAnd the driver will drive a screw or bolt in to any thing
This set o got 12 months ago and theres not a day i dont use some part of the set
the other tool that gets a lot of use is a small hand held linisher [belt grinder ]1/2 in wide its and old black and decker it rattles so bad you need ear protection to use
If it goes i see bunnings has new ones $99.00
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby bt1 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:20 am

reason i'm build the 4" bubbler is a test for one's thinking exercise (how the F can i do that without having that tool....) in reality....
What I'd call the essentials list

13mm keyless drill
4" brass drill wheel for cleanups
Flat and round Mill bastard files, cleanups shaping
Engineers hammer, general, easy flanges
Vice, Grinder, mapp and Butane guns
Ozzito cheapy Dremell, with cut off disks, grinder tips
2 x 6" lightweight G clamps
1/2" and 3/4" drills, normal Suttons or cobalt drills
A car wash spounge...yep you read it right!...perfect to hold/take weight of a drill for precision drilling ie perferated plates and the 2000+ 1.5mm holes
A old workmate to hold larger work, provide easier access
A stack of wet and dry in various grades.

Done!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 am

Lucky you aussie!, wish i had lots of tools. Is that linisher like a dyna file?, got them at work and there great!. What are them cheap dremels like bt1?, was going to get one the other day but wasnt sure.
googe

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 pm

googe wrote:Lucky you aussie!, wish i had lots of tools. Is that linisher like a dyna file?, got them at work and there great!. What are them cheap dremels like bt1?, was going to get one the other day but wasnt sure.

Cheap for the occasional job ok
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:19 pm

yeah Aldies sell those cheap taurus dremmels every now and then for $29 have looked at buying one but wasn't sure how much I'd use it and bt1 ya forgot to add 30 pack of cans, how ya spose to pay ya old work mate :whistle:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Goldie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:31 pm

One tool an old builder showed me- Spirit Level

Costs little but makes a huge difference to your final product.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby mullamulla » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Does having the column on a very slight lean cause problems?
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby Goldie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:43 pm

The level of the column can affect the distillate traveling across the plates. You want the liquid bath on top of the plate to be level so the whole bath gets equal amount of vapour travelling up through it. This can be easily controlled with the use of adjustable boiler legs.
I like using the spirit level to keep the quality of my jobs. No use spending time soldering on a ferrule for it to look like a 2yr old put it on.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Return to Tips From The Workbench