Cutting gaskets query

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Cutting gaskets query

Postby 1 2many » Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 pm

onmeth wrote:http://www.fluidsealingservice.com/ProGrade%20M3%20and%20M4.htm a serious bit of gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good gear but i don't think thats what Bt1 is after acouple of $ 2 blades is all thats needed i recon.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby ErnieV » Sat May 04, 2013 12:38 am

On home Distiller they don't recommend Silicone gaskets because apparently silicone has a less than acceptable resistance to acetone which comes out in the foreshots.
ErnieV

equipment: Building a 2" Boka

Postby Brendan » Sat May 04, 2013 4:41 pm

ErnieV wrote:On home Distiller they don't recommend Silicone gaskets because apparently silicone has a less than acceptable resistance to acetone which comes out in the foreshots.

This is something that I think warrants some research and discussion...

I have seen your posts on HD regarding this Ernie, and was skeptical as the only information came from one person on several threads...I have read the MSDS sheets, and the chemical resistance reports and am currently conducting my own tests with pictures and the like...

My initial thought would be though...if any material like this was prone to leeching into a compound that we work with...would it have any effect in the upward vapour path? I mean if acetone molecules have reached their boiling point and are rising as vapour, and come into contact with a material that leeches into acetone as a liquid...is it going to itself turn to vapour and bind to the acetone molecules and continue rising? I don't think so...but I'm not a chemist...

Now on the downward path, I can actually see some warrant for concern from my own tests...more to come on that later...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Cutting gaskets query

Postby ErnieV » Thu May 09, 2013 4:09 pm

It would be interesting to see a definitive answer

iPhone Tapatalk
ErnieV

equipment: Building a 2" Boka

Previous

Return to Tips From The Workbench