Soldering A Custom Element Guard

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Soldering A Custom Element Guard

Postby Brendan » Fri May 10, 2013 11:25 pm

A few weeks ago I mentioned the idea of soldering the end cap for the element guard onto the base of the elements itself. Here's a run-down of what I did for those looking for an effective and permanent solution :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Here's the pieces from Mac's custom element guard (minus the 32mm piece of pipe)
1.JPG

When sliding the 50mm end cap over the thread side of the base, I found that I lost too much on the thread and was not able to screw it into the socket in the boiler well enough...it would leak even done up as tight as I could get it, and there was a fair bit of wobble still in the element at this point.
2.JPG

Because the method shown in the previous photo, holds the 50mm cap against the socket...using it on the back of the element base would require it to be fixed permanently...and step in soft soldering an element :D
3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Re: Soldering A Custom Element Guard

Postby Brendan » Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 pm

I gave both surfaces a good clean and roughing up with some emery paper, I wanted it to stick real well so I could get the heat in and out quickly
4.JPG

Once soldered, it will go together with the reducer with 2x screw/nut assemblys, one of which will be used to earth the guard
5.JPG

Fluxed up the contact surfaces
6.JPG

Apply a light heat to the very side of the copper to avoid burning the flux. I also used the little Bernzo pencil tip torch for this to achieve a slow, soft heat up of the element base. Notice in this pic that I have used some steel wire to hold the end cap in place on the base. The element is being held in a bench vice.
7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brendan on Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Fri May 10, 2013 11:37 pm

After soldering, looks a mess but solder flowed nicely and didn't apply too much heat to the area
8.JPG

After a cleanup, nice and neat...
9.JPG

Looking in at the terminals...
10.JPG

The end cap will then be fixed with the use of 32mm pipe, and a cable gland installed at the back of the end cap to keep the cable steady and prevent easy twisting
11.JPG

Then it just screws into the welded socket in the boiler nicely with that extra bit of thread now available, and looks tidy too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Sat May 11, 2013 1:08 am

Great stuff Brendan, no chance of leakage into the guard there :clap:

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby karrotbear » Sat May 11, 2013 7:52 am

I just have a question about these element guards.

I made one a while back, but what I was finding was that I needed to reconnect the element everytime otherwise, if it was connected, when you screw it in the wires would eventually twist and snap. Am I just retarded, or do you guys also have to reconnect it everytime?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby Brendan » Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 am

KB, when I wind mine in, I turn the whole cable with it so that this doesn't happen. This is very detrimental to the cable! :p

A solution to his which I am implementing, is to make the cable very short out of the element with a plug on it, then use an extension to that.
Brendan

Postby 1 2many » Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am

Brendan wrote:KB, when I wind mine in, I turn the whole cable with it so that this doesn't happen. This is very detrimental to the cable! :p

A solution to his which I am implementing, is to make the cable very short out of the element with a plug on it, then use an extension to that.

Yeah good idea mate i like the idea of not having to have a power lead permantly connected to the boiler. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Tips From The Workbench