welding stainless steel ??

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: welding stainless steel ??

Postby JayD » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:14 pm

and heres a sample of the weld before it gets picklednpolihed up...

ssweld.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:31 pm

JayD wrote:and heres a sample of the weld before it gets picklednpolihed up...

ssweld.jpg

Great stick weld JayD Lets have a peek at the pickled job :D

Ps how many amps do you run welding kegs

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby aliced » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:58 am

That is a real nice job with a stick.

They can be challenging till you get used to them.
aliced

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:19 am

G'day Guy's,
I made my 2 stills out of 2" SS and tig welded all the pipe together, now to get a food grade weld one has to purge the pipe( meaning tape one end off and supply argon at low pressure to expel any air) when welded correctly the inner part of the weld will be like the out side with no slag on the inner pipe. It may sound daunting at first but really it is pretty easy and the results speak for themselves.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby aliced » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Good call Bryan, although, and call me presumptuous, but, the welds we are using in the main do not need to be full penetration welds, there should be no pressure (someone correct on what the flutes do, I think there is a little pressure) I mean if you can, and purge it great, but is it really needed? I think it would be easier for the guys that are a lernin on the torch just to fuse the top two thirds, which on 1.6 is plenty, in my opinion.

If you are a practiced welder, on the other hand, you would no doubt purge weld it.
aliced

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 am

There should be negligible pressure in any still if constructed and run correctly :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:53 am

G'day Guy's,
On reading the updates to this thread and having my pot still dis-assembled I decided to take a pic of the inner weld after purging. Ok the weld isn't 100% uniform but it does the job.....

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Previous

Return to Tips From The Workbench