Cleaning Copper the Easy Way

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Cleaning Copper the Easy Way

Postby SBB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:58 pm

After the bubbler build I started to clean off the muck that had accumulate on it throughout the build. After about 3 minutes of scrubbing and trying different methods I decided there had to be an easier way.
This is how I ended up doing it , from start to finish it took about 15mins with little to no effort involved.
How well this works for you is going to depend on how grubby your copper is, mine was pretty filthy and cleaned up better than I imagined it would.
The bad news is that CLR no longer has Phosphoric Acid in it and so doesn’t work quite as well as it once did. I used a brand new bottle to clean the bubbler and it worked well, If you have an old bottle laying around treasure it as its probably the better stuff.

What Ya Need:
1 x bottle of CLR
1 x spray bottle or garden spray.
Garden hose
Green scrubber (those square ones)
Cold drink, Rum UJ, what ever tickles ya fancy.
Fold out chair or something to sit on.

Method
1: Fill spray bottle / garden spray with CLR…don’t dilute.
2: Attach still to keg so that you have access to all sides.
3: Spray with CLR
4: Sit in chair and have a drink while waiting a couple of minutes.
Continue steps 3 and 4 for at least ten minutes
5: Squirt with garden hose.
Repeat if necessary and give stubborn grime a quick rub with the green scrubber.

Another Method that works well and will work on really stubborn stuff given time and some effort is a mix of equal parts
Salt, White Vinegar and Plain Flour, make a paste and rub it on with your hands put it on thick and keep rubbing it around. Wash off with a hose from time to time and re-apply if necessary.

For the photos I used a second hand piece of 2.5 inch pipe
The streaking means its starting to work
After 10 mins and a few squirts
After a very quick light rub with the green scrubber.

SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Cleaning Copper the Easy Way

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:58 pm

That comes up a treat hey, I'll try it on my next build when I retire :laughing-rolling:

Thanks for posting this, well done again :handgestures-thumbup:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kji52 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:37 pm

A much cheaper and easier way to clean copper is to go to ya local pool shop and buy a 5litre container of hydrochloric acid about $12 , Mix 1 part acid to 10 parts water spray on and hose of.
kji52

equipment: Home (self)made stainless 50mm dia 900mm long reflux tower with copper packing on a 50litre boiler

Postby R-sole » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 pm

kji52 wrote:A much cheaper and easier way to clean copper is to go to ya local pool shop and buy a 5litre container of hydrochloric acid about $12 , Mix 1 part acid to 10 parts water spray on and hose of.

Perhaps i can add the extremely important safety tip of adding the acid to the water and not the other way round if you value your eyes/skin/clothes etc. :think:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:31 pm

5Star wrote:
kji52 wrote:A much cheaper and easier way to clean copper is to go to ya local pool shop and buy a 5litre container of hydrochloric acid about $12 , Mix 1 part acid to 10 parts water spray on and hose of.

Perhaps i can add the extremely important safety tip of adding the acid to the water and not the other way round if you value your eyes/skin/clothes etc. :think:

YES + 1 on 5Star !!!

even then be aware tipping the acid into the water gives off a gas that is nasty, do it well ventilated with gloves and safety glasses and shoes etc not thongs and beer in hand...

i have a auto acid dose machine for my pool PH and hate diluting the acid into the water / acid drum. i even hate going to buy it in the car ...

it is an effective cleaner but
maheel

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:41 pm

I get bulk citric acid powder mix it up in a tub, soak the copper in it over night, reuse over and over till its not doing the job over night and then mix up new stuff, just a quik polish with Brasso is all thats needed then :D
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby The Stig » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:48 pm

I use the stubby method :text-thankyoublue:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby SBB » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:46 pm

You might find that too strong a mix of acid can and will not only clean but can etch your copper. Ya dont want any etching or its gunna be a real bugger to get really shiney after. Ill stick to the CLR thanks
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Modernity » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Plain old white vinegar is not only very safe, but also cheap and not harmful to the environment. :teasing-tease: But then who would want to use a limp wrist-ed kitchen product? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: when there is a chance to shoot rabbits with a canon. :laughing-rolling:
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 pm

+100 Mod,don't do things by halves :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby R-sole » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:30 am

A good free way to clean your copper is to drop it into a bucket of hot backset, straight from the still.

Leave it overnight and either neutralise with bicarb and water or just plenty of water. It'll do the same job for free. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 am

I originally posted this method because not everything will fit in a bucket of backset or citric acid.......it was mainly aimed at those wanting to clean something like a completed bubbler or reflux still.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby law-of-ohms » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:09 am

Did these last night...

Cleaning copper experiments with photos...

Citric acid = 15mins
BAM! = 15sec

I would use the citric acid as the BAM had to be repeated as it was very patchy, plus its harsh shit.

law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby googe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am

Did you hold the bottle at arms length and talk really loud when you did it law? :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby crow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:26 am

hmm thing is I could drink a cheese glass of my citric acid solution when I'm finished and it would have the same affect as eating a lemon would ya care to try the same with that stuff , just saying :whistle:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:13 am

Cheese comes in glasses?

Wow.
The things i don't know.

Don'tTellEagleBoysPunkin
R-sole

Postby Fermi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 am

I tried citric acid and dilute hydrochloric acid.
Both work great on copper and bring it up to a pinky copper shine.

I found though, that on solder (I was cleaning finished parts) that it developed a dull grey surface which wasn't too easy to get off. I lost my shiny silver solder joint.
It's only cosmetic, but if anyone knows why this happens and how to fix it, I'm all ears.
Fermi

Postby stilly_bugger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:46 am

I thought I'd give the citric acid a go. Here are the results.

Fouled condensor coil:

condensor-coil-1.jpg

2 teaspoons of citric acid dissolved in a glass of water. Soak:

condensor-coil-2.jpg

The next morning:

condensor-coil-3.jpg

Not quite "BAM! And the dirt is gone", but not bad. Bit more of a clean and she'll be as good as new. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby jdonly1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 am

I like my copper dirty like my women lol :laughing-rolling:
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:39 am

Hot backset works just as well.

Next time you do a stripping run just throw the coil in a bucket of stuff straight from the boiler and leave it overnight :dance:
R-sole

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench