65L digiboil seal problem!

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

65L digiboil seal problem!

Postby McCraggen » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 pm

I hear this is a common thing but its just really annoying to me, the silicon seal keeps popping out of the lid, is there any safe way to glue it in place so it wont come out all the time?

Cheers brains trust!
McCraggen

equipment: pot/reflux

Re: 65L digiboil seal problem!

Postby McCraggen » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:44 pm

bumperino!
McCraggen

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:39 am

Not many here using digiboils or similar I think. The lids are a bit thin for tall or offset stills unless you have a pelican neck style pot still. I have had a small still in the past with a silicone sealant on it that worked OK. Didn't know what they used but a food grade RTV silicone should be OK. IMHO.
Cheers
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby howard » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:03 am

i have the 35L lid and have to dig the seal out with a screwdriver.
has the lid warped or the seal deformed?
some of those seals have different shape sides i think.
new seal for $12?
a smear of food grade silicone lube?
a hammer?
i can imagine it would be a PITA if it keeps falling out.

BTW peter c. the lids can handle the weight, they just aren't rigid enough to handle the sideways movement.
i have S/S fishing wire through a piece of silicone tube under the top, connected to a small pulley system, connected to the roof.
i can raise and lower the whole rig on & off the still, or leave it dangling while i clean the boiler.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby McCraggen » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks guys, its a mega pain, will be upgrading to someone more substantial when funds allow!
McCraggen

Postby Scotty304 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:28 am

You can buy a lid of eBay au from still mate,it's has a 3 inch outlet,temp gauge and glass view glass..I'm running a 4"played still ontop no issues, however I swapped seals over
Scotty304

equipment: Reflux

Postby claytong » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 am

Hi,

It is possible to get the seal to fit and stay. You need to insert the seal in the outside lip of the lid first and gently push it in. My mate figured out the knack while we were having the same issue. It now stays put, however it still is a little fiddly to insert.
claytong

equipment: Pot Still
Re-flux Still

Postby BigRig » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:51 pm

You could also wrap the seal with teflon plumbers tape to help wedge it in if needed.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Fishboy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:04 pm

I’ve had massive problems with the 65 litre Digiboil lid.
Bloody thing leaks like a seive.
To help with the seal I bought a second silicone gasket and laid the two together then wrapped them with Teflon tape.

This helped with the retention of position, but still did not solve the sealing problem.
I’ve been holding the lid down with a heap of spring clamps as the only way I could get the damn thing to seal properly. :angry-banghead:
I have ordered one of the heavy duty lids from brew wizard, so I’m hoping that’s going to fix the problem.
Next step after that is to fit a heap of stainless clamps to the oiler and lid to give me 12 points of pressure instead of the standard 4. I have a heap of clips lying around, so that’s a reasonably low cost option for me.

I will post once I’ve had a run with the heavy duty lid.
Fishboy

equipment: nothing any more :(
Sadly found I don't have the time or patience to do this justice.

Oh well... Next Hobby !! :D

Postby deep44 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:05 pm

You can buy an extra seal and put it on your boiler and use the seal you have got atm at the bottom of the lid. It is going to insulate the steam and will solve your problem.
deep44

equipment: I do not have any atm but am interested in learning the art.

Return to Boilers & burners.