copper pot

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

copper pot

Postby trigger12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 pm

1st post on this site and i am new to home distilling but after gathering enough info from this site i have been able to start my own still.
I have made a still from 65mm copper tube and am looking to mount it on a 50L keg, how ever being a plumber i have access to copper Hot water systems and can easily modify the size of these as 140L are a little large for my needs. these come with an 1800watt element which i was planning on doubling up. has anyone heard of a copper pot? or atleast have any opinions on wether the copper would be suitable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trigger12

equipment: re-flux distiller

Re: copper pot

Postby crow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah mate a copper pot is no problems in fact I think they make the best boiler you can get (lucky bastard) . All the old boys back home only ever used them, do it for sure, been hassling my plumber of ages to get me one unfortunately he has the memory of a senile goldfish
Anyway can I suggest that you wonder over to the welcome center and introduce yourself to the rest of the members
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby trigger12 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:58 am

yeah true sorry bout that,

will be so handy making a copper pot means i have all the material ready to go... although our christmas party scrap metal funds might cop a hit now.

thanks
trigger12

equipment: re-flux distiller

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:41 am

If it was me i would still make the head detachable via say a flange and triclover union also a fill port on the top and a drain tap at the lowest point.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bddoinit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 am

trigger12 wrote:

will be so handy making a copper pot means i have all the material ready to go... although our christmas party scrap metal funds might cop a hit now.

thanks

The funds may drop, but with a supply of good spirits at the chrissy party you would be forgiven.
bddoinit

equipment: 2" Pot Sill, 2" Boka
Gas/Elec 50Lt Keg
4" Bubbler to get

Return to Boilers & burners.