diy boiler

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

diy boiler

Postby googe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 am

Hello ladies and gentlemen, there is alot of boiler talk lately and it's making me edgey. I've always wanted a drain on my boiler so I can get some sort of permanent setup happening. My biggest problem is height, my boiler sits on a ring burner mount about 100mm high, which means if I had a drain, how could I collect dunder for future ferments?. I need ideas to either get the dunder out at a low height or raise the burner. Any ideas?. any ideas of a non weld fill port too?, I've seen some.things but there fucking expensive!.
googe

Re: diy boiler

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 am

Howdy,

hydraulic pressure will push dunder to the same level within the boiler. If you had a flexible hose fitting on the drain port you could collect up to the same level....given it drops...Otherwise it's connected to the hose or sink and off to those poor bastards at the Waste Water Treatment plant.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:07 pm

That's true bt, could get something that way, thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby punchy21 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Can you raise the boiler and burner with a custom stand? I made one up at work for mine with 3 legs that can be adjusted for level but I'm electric so it's a bit easier... Surely someone has done the same with gas?? :think:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby googe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Empty has done it punchy, bit out of my price range though due to saving for houses and holidays!. I like the idea of a stand though, would want something rock solid and not to high due to still heights!. Maybe I need to look at the scappies.
googe

Postby crow » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Wheel rim
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Fuck I was.going to do that a year ago crow, lazy fucker I am!. Now I just need a fill port that's not welded in.
googe

Postby Jonno » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

would say a 25 or 32mm nipple with an end cap on it work well for you? i suppose it depends on how you fill.
Jonno

Postby googe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Good idea Jonno , ive decided I want a big port with a sight glass in it though. empty! right now ive got your attention, is that part of the keg flat enough to put a furelle reverse wise do you think?. Ive got an idea :-D.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Depends on the sizes used and if its a cub or tooheys keg. You might get a 2" one to work, but if you also have a 4" fill port, this pushes the position out a little bit more towards the curved part. And the flat bit isn't really flat, just less curved than the rest, plus with triclamps, you have to allow room for the clamp itself to function.

You might want to consider a bulkhead fitting, or tank fitting and use a nut and a cap (like macs)
emptyglass

Postby googe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks empty, just had a looksie at my cub, I reckon I might be able to just squeeze a 3' in, if I cut the top lip away like you Do. was thinking of making 2 3' flange d short pieces and joining them, then bolting to the.keg :think: . What sort of bulkhead fitting are you talking about?. I was wondering what the thing was on Macs boiler, thanks.for.clearing that up :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Return to Boilers & burners.