gas leak?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

gas leak?

Postby googe » Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 am

Hey all, I use a high kpa reg And 3 ring burner. The last few runs I've had trouble keeping the flame stable, I set it on 40 kpa middle ring, the flame is maybe 10mm in height, 10 mins later it's dropped to almost half the height. I've done leak tests everywhere and couldn't find.anything. Has anyone experienced this?, or why it might be doing it. Thanks for any help.

Cheers
googe

Re: gas leak?

Postby BareKnuckles » Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Pressure regulator may be going bad. Also the gas bottle may have a bad valve...

-BK
BareKnuckles

equipment: 2 Plate 4" into 2" Hybrid

Postby BareKnuckles » Fri May 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Also, gas bottle could have too much moisture in it... Do you open the valve fully on the bottle? If you don't that could be the issue...

Just throwing things out there...

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Give the bottle a shake. If too much condensation builds on the outside it will slow the flow :?:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby JayD » Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Is the bottle about empty ?
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Fri May 10, 2013 3:13 pm

You could be right knuckles, will try some things to. Eliminate it. Thanks Uzzaeb, ill give that a go. Full bottle Jay.
googe

Postby crow » Fri May 10, 2013 6:23 pm

10 mm is a very small flame for a hp reg buddy hell mine is normally 150mm high and half that 5mm is the hight my bbq flame is at just before the bottle runs out . i think you have some serious issues with that reg sport in fact i would say its had the fritz
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Fri May 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Its small cause ive got the reg turned down crow, like I said ;-) . Full tilt its early over a metre high.
googe

Postby crow » Fri May 10, 2013 8:20 pm

googe wrote:Its small cause ive got the reg turned down crow, like I said ;-) . Full tilt its early over a metre high.

Ok see what a bit of extra imfo can show, Now I know why ya flame is to low you need to turn ya reg up a bit :O)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm

crow wrote:
googe wrote:Its small cause ive got the reg turned down crow, like I said ;-) . Full tilt its early over a metre high.

Ok see what a bit of extra imfo can show, Now I know why ya flame is to low you need to turn ya reg up a bit :O)

Haha cunny funt :lol::lol::lol:
Urrazeb

Postby JayD » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 pm

onya Googe... :roll:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 pm

I thought it was a pretty simple question :roll:
googe

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 10, 2013 9:47 pm

When ya doin a run next googe? I seem to think it's condensation slowing ya flow, let us know how ya get on!
Urrazeb

Postby crow » Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 pm

googe wrote:I thought it was a pretty simple question :roll:

Yes your right sorry googe : if I turn my reg down that low it splutters and the flame with go down and up , I don't know what causes these variants at extremely low pressure possibley air to gas ratio but I do know increasing the pressure a bit will fix it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby BareKnuckles » Sat May 11, 2013 12:29 am

Something to consider is the propane is not the best burning gas especially at very low pressure. It's very flammable but under strict regulation it can be a bit unstable...

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby googe » Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 am

Maybe on the weekend Uzz, I'll try what you said and let you know. Thanks crow, good to know it's not just me. That's a really good point knuckles!, I might give a gas joint a buzz and see what sort of info they can share.
googe

Postby BareKnuckles » Sat May 11, 2013 12:58 am

Propane Boiling Point - Water boils at 212°F meaning that it becomes a gas at this temperature whereas water is still a liquid at 200°F. Propane is a liquid at -50°F and boils at -44°F. In other words, at 10 degrees below zero, propane is well past its boiling point. What does this mean to ordinary people like us? It means that propane is cold enough freeze your skin (and tissue underneath) to the point of severe damage.
Specific Gravity of Propane Gas - One cubic foot of propane weighs .1162 lbs. and one cubic foot of air weighs .07655. Dividing .1162 by .07655 equals 1.52. What does this mean? Propane is heavier than air and will seek the lowest space available.
Specific Gravity of Liquid Propane - One gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs. One gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs. Dividing 4.24 by 8.33 equals .51. This means propane is less dense than water (lighter than water) and will not sink in water, so to speak.
BTU - As defined, a British Thermal Unit is the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. It takes about 143 BTU, or .0016 gallons of propane, to melt one pound of ice (at 32°F). Most all installation requirements and decisions revolve around BTU ratings and demand.
Propane Combustion Characteristics
Lower Limit of Flammability
Upper Limit of Flammability
Flash Point
Ignition Temperature in Air
Maximum Flame Temperature
Octane Number

-156°F
920-1020°F
3595°F
Over 100

Propane Combustion Characteristics Explained

In order for propane to burn, ignite or go through combustion, the criteria listed above must be met. Below are explanations of propane gas combustion characteristics.

Propane Limits of Flammability - The lower and upper limits of flammability are the percentages of propane that must be present in an propane/air mixture. This means that between 2.15 and 9.6% of the total propane/air mixture must be propane in order for it to be combustible. If the mixture is 2% propane and 98% air, there will not be combustion. If the mixture 10% propane and 90% air, combustion will not occur. Any percentage of propane in a propane/air mixture between 2.15% and 9.6% will be sufficient for propane to burn. However, an improper air/gas mixture can produce Carbon Monoxide (CO) that is a deadly product of incomplete combustion.
Flash Point - The flash point is the minimum temperature at which propane will burn on its own after having been ignited. This number states that below -156°F, propane will stop burning on it's own. In other words, if the outside air temperature is -155°F, propane will burn on it's own. If the outside air temperature falls to -157°F, propane will no longer burn on it's own. However, if a source of continuous ignition is present, propane will burn below - 156°F.
Ignition Temperate in Air - This number states that propane will ignite if it reaches a temperature between 920-1020°F. If propane is heated up to a temperature between 920 and 1020°F, it will ignite without needing a spark or flame.
Maximum Flame Temperature - A propane flame will not burn hotter than 3595°F.
Octane Number - Without presenting a chemistry lesson, the Octane number of propane being over 100 means that it is a very engine friendly fuel.

Pulled form Propane 101

A little long winded

-BK
BareKnuckles

Postby bt1 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:23 am

howdy,

Use the same rig 3 ring burner and HP regulator outdoors clearly.

Thought it was getting a bit variable and flame height was all over the place. It would blow out, spit back, vary as it warmed up.

Put that heat shroud round the keg(see post) ... hey presto no more dramas.

I was thinking it was jets, ring rust in holes, HP itself etc etc. ...saved a lot of time and effort.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Urrazeb » Sat May 11, 2013 10:25 am

Csn you elaborate Bt? Why does the shroud help? Shields the wind?
Urrazeb

Postby googe » Sat May 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Interesting read thanks BK :handgestures-thumbupleft: . That would be just wind shield wouldn't it bt?. Mine sort of has a orange tip on the flame and then disappears leaving a shorter flame if that makes sense 8-} .
googe

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.