Cub keg top ring removal

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Cub keg top ring removal

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi Guys , I have one of the later style CUB kegs where the top and bottom handle/base rings are welded on differantly than the usual older style and i was wondering if anyone has removed this style of ring top before and not caused any keg damage. Cheers

my keg.jpeg

Also do these kegs have a flush opening where the ferule meets keg :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Re: Cub keg top ring removal

Postby emptyglass » Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 pm

I found if I cut in just above the weld, square to the keg, not too deep, I got the section out easy, then polish the remaining weld metal off with a flap disc.
Careful in the corners.

fill portB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby JayD » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 pm

JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby 1 2many » Tue May 21, 2013 6:38 pm

WineGlass wrote:I found if I cut in just above the weld, square to the keg, not too deep, I got the section out easy, then polish the remaining weld metal off with a flap disc.
Careful in the corners.

fill portB.JPG

Thanks EG , Makes sense , Might have to try and rig up a try hard depth gauge.
Scared of going to deep and cutting the keg. :scared-eek:

Did your find any undercuts in the actual weld,
dont want to be filling if i can avoid it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby emptyglass » Tue May 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Yeah, thats the tricky bit. Just take your time. It is easy to go to far, but if you dont cut through the keg you should be ok to polish it out.
Aim for just above the weld, not through it.
emptyglass

Return to Boilers & burners.