Element placing

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Element placing

Postby Geeps » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:54 pm

G’day all,

Making up a boiler out of a 50L keg and have just purchased 2 x 2400w elements from fsd.

My question is does it matter where they are placed?

As in one on top of each other separated by 50mm. (looks better) will always be doing a full charge so will be covered.

Or side by side but staggered in height so they don’t meet in the middle of the keg?

Also do you think I will need any kind of voltage control when doing a spirit run with one element going on the keg using a 3” L/M Bok.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Re: Element placing

Postby 1 2many » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I had the same thoughts myself about element placement, but I was looking at half charge option anyway in your case you will be going full boiler so to make it a lot easier to build I would stack the elements rather than side by side. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby OzKev » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 pm

I'd also keep them as low as you can get them. Your plan is full charges, but what about if you change your mind in a years time.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby Geeps » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks, 1 2many and OzKev :handgestures-thumbupleft: think i will stack them with the top one being about 150mm up from the bottom that way if i havent got enough wash to cover the top one it isn't worth running it any way.
Geeps

Postby 1 2many » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:51 pm

OzKev wrote:I'd also keep them as low as you can get them. Your plan is full charges, but what about if you change your mind in a years time.

That's what I was saying, but at the end of the day you will more likely use a full boiler and want a bigger one seems to be natural progression .
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby zombie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:17 pm

My response is more for conversation on the idea.
Do you think it possible that the boil bubbles from the lower element could cause a partial dry fire or super heating of the upper element? Specifically if they were placed too close together.

I would sure like to see that experimented with to be positive about what if anything happens.
zombie

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:21 pm

If you do end up running a small amount of wash just put enough water to cover the element first before adding the wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:57 pm

just a question - iv'e no experience with electric boilers. so forgive my ignorance if it is so.

would placing two elements at 180 degree opposite be more beneficial to boiling given that the elements would then cover more raw space??
so you'd be heating two sides of the boiler as apposed to two parts of the same side.
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 pm

I like them parallel beside each other in a keg, bit of piss farting around but worth it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Brendan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:24 pm

Hey mate,

Element placing is not a critical variable. Put one as low as you can in the boiler, and the other just spaced enough so that they don't touch (maybe a little extra). The orientation I think will have no effect...I put mine 90 degrees from each other with the thought of spreading out the heat distribution, but I don't think it has any benefit, many out them above each other or beside each other if the sockets can be welded on an angle... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Personally, I think you will need a controller no matter what. Some people get lucky and find that one element on full is a sweet spot for their rig...but I really don't believe it's a good idea to try and distill (well) without power control. It's a major variable on a run that you would lose the ability to manipulate...

edit: sorry I wrote this before anyone else replied, and forgot to hit 'submit' :shifty:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Brendan wrote:
Personally, I think you will need a controller no matter what. Some people get lucky and find that one element on full is a sweet spot for their rig...but I really don't believe it's a good idea to try and distill (well) without power control. It's a major variable on a run that you would lose the ability to manipulate...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point, at 2400w with good control of your reflux condenser you'll be distilling just as well as anyone else without a controller..... unless I've been making gear the "not well" wrong way for the last 4 or so years with all my rigs I've built ;-)

Start simple and work your way up, all these fuckin variables just create confusion....

KISS.

:romance-kisscheek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frothwizard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 pm

MacStill wrote:
Brendan wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point, at 2400w with good control of your reflux condenser you'll be distilling just as well as anyone else without a controller..... unless I've been making gear the "not well" wrong way for the last 4 or so years with all my rigs I've built ;-)

Start simple and work your way up, all these fuckin variables just create confusion....

KISS.

:romance-kisscheek:

Agree with this 100%. I just run 2400W flat out and keep my RC working at it's limit the whole run. I do agree that a controller will have a more perceptible degree of control than would a gate/ball valve or whatever you've got, unless you have a flow meter and you've got that sorted also, but it's definitely not necessary to control the still and get a quality product out.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Brendan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:01 am

I'll give it to you blokes, I'm just theorising.

I've never done spirit runs flat out and just had the idea that there would be problems with most rigs without the control. My only flat out runs have been stripping runs, but on pot and bubbler I find I have to wind the controller down...would be easier on a bubbler, but I'd be concerned with running too hard on a pot run?

You sure are right about the KISS though, don't want to over-complicate things. A lot of it is luxuries and looking to optimise...I'm sure you can make good drink a thousand ways :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby OzKev » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 am

So are you saying that you can run a 4" 4 plate bubbler and also a 6" 6 plate bubbler both of the same 2400w? I thought to have equal reflux level the 4" would need less power?
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:51 am

OzKev wrote:So are you saying that you can run a 4" 4 plate bubbler and also a 6" 6 plate bubbler both of the same 2400w? I thought to have equal reflux level the 4" would need less power?

a lot of people.. possibly everyone has a control box for them to adjust the power input.
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Element placing

Postby Dusty_ben » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:46 am

Image my set up As advised by mac. Have about 100mm between ends if the elements. But of stuffing round with the tig welding with a small Gap in the middles. Works great with both
On. Very quick heat up. Runs great with only one on.
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby Geeps » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 am

MacStill wrote:I like them parallel beside each other in a keg, bit of piss farting around but worth it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just spent two hours with the dremel cutting the element sockets in side by side. ~x(

Bit of a bitch making the elongated holes but recon it will be better in the end.
Geeps

Postby Geeps » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Hey Dusty just seen ya keg thanks,
I just cut the holes for mine but put them in the rear of the keg in case i spill shit over them when using the filler port.
Geeps

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Geeps wrote:Hey Dusty just seen ya keg thanks,
I just cut the holes for mine but put them in the rear of the keg in case i spill shit over them when using the filler port.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Good thinking Geeps
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Element placing

Postby Dusty_ben » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:28 pm

If I did it again I would put the rain in the rear so I could tip it to pore easier. We used a plasma cutter and die grinder was very easy.
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.