Keg price querry

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Keg price querry

Postby WTDist » Tue May 19, 2015 9:24 am

Everyday i drive past these kegs in the pic below and they have been sitting out the back of a restaurant for over 8 months now not moving. I'm thinking of hitting the owner of them up (if i can find the owner, its a large building) to see if the will sell the lot for $50 or something as they have been next to the bin area for 8 months.

Ive done searches on gumtree and eBay over time and i assume $50 is good for the larger one at the back but im wondering what is a good price that i would expect to pay for the others singly?
I figure the have been sitting for so long that they mustn't want them, also my missus said the restaurant is now closed and has been for a little while so im hoping they really dont want these and maybe they wern't allowed to put them in a standard bin.
keg pic.png

Would be good to know what they are worth before i offer them money (If i even do). They may want to negotiate a higher price
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Keg price querry

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue May 19, 2015 9:49 am

If you can get the lot for $100 you'd be doing very well. Those postmix kegs (little ones with the black top) are pretty desirable for guys kegging beer, or for ageing spirit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby sp0rk » Tue May 19, 2015 11:17 am

Technically they still belong to the breweries, so the business owner can't sell them to you as they don't own them
I can't say I don't have kegs of questionable origin, but my personal preference is that if the keg belongs to one of the big boys (CUB, Tooheys, etc), I offer to buy it from the establishment or I wait until a dodgy mate drops it on my doorstep (not that this has ever happened...)
If it belongs to a micro/craft brewery, I leave it alone as stealing kegs from a small business is a huge knock to their profits, it's like stealing a big ticket item from your local corner shop
On the other hand, if they're marked from an overseas brewery, 9 times out of 10 they won't be shipped back home and they just get sent to scrap, I see these as fair game to being purchased from the establishment who's got them
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby WTDist » Tue May 19, 2015 11:40 am

sp0rk wrote:Technically they still belong to the breweries, so the business owner can't sell them to you as they don't own them
I can't say I don't have kegs of questionable origin, but my personal preference is that if the keg belongs to one of the big boys (CUB, Tooheys, etc), I offer to buy it from the establishment or I wait until a dodgy mate drops it on my doorstep (not that this has ever happened...)
If it belongs to a micro/craft brewery, I leave it alone as stealing kegs from a small business is a huge knock to their profits, it's like stealing a big ticket item from your local corner shop
On the other hand, if they're marked from an overseas brewery, 9 times out of 10 they won't be shipped back home and they just get sent to scrap, I see these as fair game to being purchased from the establishment who's got them

Yes i am in no way wanting a stolen product. Not a good example for my kids. even though this hobby isn't legal :laughing-rolling: but they don't know about it

I heard once that they ship them back to the brewery but i think these may be from over seas as they have been sitting for over 8 months now in a bin area and the restaurant is a Korean restaurant that had imported beers, i don't know this for sure but its what i have been told. I might have a look this afternoon at them closely when im there again. Will there be markings indicating a brewery owner on them? i guess ill find out this afternoon.

Twice a day i look at them (from inside the car though) thinking i want them and no one is moving them :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Return to Boilers & burners.