Friut Brandies

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Friut Brandies

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:55 pm

G'day Guy's,

Making a Fruit Brandy in the big picture of things isn't hard and the purpose of this thread is to detail just how we all do it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now lets say you have a fruit tree at home and only get about 5-6 kg's of fruit off well one can make brandy off it although only a small amount.

First we need to get some EC1118 yeast as this yeast will ferment just about any fruit :handgestures-thumbupleft: it does take it's time though but the end result is complete ferment will a very small trub.

Dicing and freezing the fruit will bring out more sugars so we can get the most out with this simple step.

Now after the ferment is finished it does need to be stripped so we can get the low wines to do the spirit run.

The whole concept of doing this method is " Hurry Up and Wait"so expect 12 months or more for your project to get that top drop so beware this is set and forget project.

Apple Brandy is one of my favorites so I will describe how I did my last batch.

Go to the fruit market and see the apples are on special and i got 5 buckets where each bucket weighed 5kg's, this was put thru my corona mill where I got close to 15 litres of juice :handgestures-thumbupleft: a tea spoon of meta bisulphate was added to kill off any wild yeast present and i did get that tip from a book on making apple cider. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now add the same volume of water and check the brix or SG in normal terms and want a starting SG f no more than 1070, the purists will hammer me for saying this :angry-banghead: invert some sugar to get to that target SG as we are not making cider we are making a wash and yield is the king out of a wash without going overboard. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I did get enough for a boiler run in my keg boiler so i setup my 4" pot still and stripped the wash, this gave me enough to do 2 spirit pot still runs in my 2" pot still with a 5 litre boiler. The final spirit was after cuts temped down to 65% and put down with toasted/charred French Oak. I decanted a bottle after 12 months and it is just starting to get that apple taste so more aging is needed. The angels have taken a third of the liquid and honestly we didn't want to drink anyway did we.

As we do have quite a few fruit trees I have made quite a few fruit brandies where they are put away to age, then when coming up my shed just having dram can see just how they are going.

So give this a try and for those that have done this with fruit post away with your method :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Friut Brandies

Postby Nathan02 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:54 pm

Mandarin brandy I have aging. Heavy toast French oak, fermented on ec1118, distilled over 3 plates
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Return to Fruit & Vegies