Figs

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Figs

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 am

Would adding Rice hulls help to extract the juice Google search used for apple juice and beer.
Rice hulls are used as a "press aid" to improve extraction efficiency apple juice.
wynnum1

Postby crow » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:58 am

Have you got a press?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:02 am

Press is not used for beer so do they help to drain .
wynnum1

Postby crow » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 am

Yeah, that's for sparging good luck sparging fruit ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Figs

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 am

Rice in beer of any kind just makes me think of Budweiser ;-) worst tasting beverage ever!

I reckon that my addition of pectinase is really helping with pulling sugar out of the figs. It's why I feel ok adding more figs incrementally to the wash, I think it can break down the figs relatively easy.

Some bicarbonate is the next addition, I think it's getting quite high in ph based on the smell and look.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am

Likely is, taste it you'll know if its acidic
crow

Figs

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Well my apricots which I held such high hopes for were a disaster...but the figs which I was pretty iffy about have come up sensational !

I've got about 7 litres at 65% on heavy toasted French oak and having a sample after 3 weeks and its a very, very passable brandy.

If I can let this get to the 6 month mark then this will make up for how crap the apricots turned out.

I was thinking I might not even bother with figs next year, but time and oak has convinced me otherwise.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 pm

yeah well if you look back through the thread you'll see I did one wash with bakers yeast, I was warned not to but did anyway.the resulting low wines were just disgusting but I thought they would clean up in the spirit run especially mixed with the rest. Buzzt wrong answer, now I had these awful esters mixed with everything so I ran the lot back through and got real critical with the cuts , that'll work.
:violence-stickwhack: Buzzt ,buzzt, buzzt wrong again. the result was that I stripped more fig flavour out and concentrated the esters , a long time on oak however might just work (or not) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Figs

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Crow mine was with EC1118 spectacular wine yeast and I used pectinase to release even more sugar. I'd never go near a straight fruit brandy with bakers. Too funky for this monkey.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Fri May 10, 2013 6:34 pm

yeah i used that wine yeast on the first one and the subsequent ones had an aust white wine yeast. That stuff was good once it got going but took awhile to fire . I thought it might have been the temps but then noticed the used by date was, i don't remember but 2009 rings a bell (something a certain dodgy vendor neglected to inform me of )
crow

Figs

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Crow with ec1118 no matter how old you always always always need to rehydrate with lukewarm water and some sugar. I've had a few dud batches and you can always tell if it doesn't rehydrate and form a cream. If not the yeast is dead, no point pitching.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Fri May 10, 2013 7:23 pm

yeah mate i think all wine yeast is like that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I do this with safmalt too
crow

Postby Carree » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 am

Fascinating read guys!!! I’ve just bought a house with a fig tree and no one bloody eats them!!! Will have to freeze them as they ripen up and give this a crack!
Carree

equipment: T500 and just purchased a AlcoEngine attachment

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies