Figs

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Figs

Postby R-sole » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:50 am

That's just how they are mate. They ripen over a period of a month or two. They seem to go from a small hard fruit to a big soft mush overnight.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:56 am

okay yeah I never took much notice of them :oops: , use to pick a bucket or 2 for my neibours to make jam and thats about it .
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I've been toying with the idea of knocking up a basic 2" pot still on a ss keg and burner to run this stuff as I have all the shit laying around here to do that but my concern is this stuff will most likely have loads of sediment in it , how hard will it be to clean this crap out of the keg afterwards
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Croweater,
i would suggest racking the wash off the sediment then put it into the still.
or strain it to reduce the sediment as it could burn in the boiler.
to clean out, remove the potstill and give the boiler a good rinse :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Right got everything together to start this . The brew shop recommended wine yeast CY17 for white fruit and flowers . I'm not sure if I should add water to this as well as figs are not that high in water as far as fruit goes
crow

Postby crow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi all can anyone see a hassle with adding water and sugar to this , it has the consistency of over cooked porridge and is to thick to even get a hydro reading . Basically there is no liquid as so to speak of just a gooey sludge
crow

Postby Kimbo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Croweater,
definatly add water, sugar as well if you want.
use the rule of 5's to start with, then fine tune it later to suit.
5kg sugar
5kg fruit/grains
25L water
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:02 pm

I now have aprox 55ltrs of fermentable materiel but only enough CY17 for 25 ltrs , can I put in other yeast as well or just leave as is
crow

Postby Kimbo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:12 pm

you can try some bakers yeast with it
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:23 pm

yeah cool will do then . I wasn't sure if i could mix the different yeasts . I'll try to be a bit more scientific with the next lot this turned into a bit of a cluster fuck
crow

Postby Kimbo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 pm

No better way to learn than fucking it up a few times ;-)
Oh, gotta give credit to OD for the rule of 5 thing, its a pretty good benchmark to start with ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 pm

geez I should learn heaps then :laughing-rolling:
crow

Postby R-sole » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:55 am

Give me a PM about the yeast. I carry a large range of yeasts, one that will suit you for this too.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Update on whats happening: The ferment is going ballistic , rose about 150mm in a 44 gal . I got home just now to find the solids had formed a thick cake on the surface , was going to scoop it out but thought there would be too much yeast marooned amongst it also worried I'd lose to much of what is going to be a very light flavor I feel so stirred it all back in . Was very despondent yesterday looking promising though now :smile:
Last edited by crow on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby R-sole » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:35 pm

You can either punch the cap down or just leave it to fall by itself after fermentation.

Don't throw your hard work away for fuck's sake.
R-sole

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:38 pm

hell no its going to be ok I think smells fantastic , bit like wine a bit like dried fruit . Need to get my arse into gear with this pot still build
crow

Postby Frank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:41 pm

So...Croweater
I assume you are going to do a rakia? If so, how so (a la Punkins suggestion perhaps)??
Hope its a winner... for sure it'll be a mighty fine drop if it is :handgestures-thumbupleft: :smile:
Frank

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:44 pm

what would be the longest I would want to leave this after it has fermented out before distilling
crow

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Frank wrote:So...Croweater
I assume you are going to do a rakia? If so, how so (a la Punkins suggestion perhaps)??
Hope its a winner... for sure it'll be a mighty fine drop if it is :handgestures-thumbupleft: :smile:

yeah pretty much as suggested to me fingers crossed it will turn out great going by the ferment so far i'm happy I will have to use the backset I think as the flavor will be light on I'd say . Definitively need a pot still my reflux will piss all the flavor away for sure
crow

Postby Frank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 pm

croweater wrote:what would be the longest I would want to leave this after it has fermented out before distilling

IMHO if its airlocked/airtight and out of the sun (and cool) it'll be ok for a 'good while' (for sure, weeks...and I don't get why you want it to sit in the fermenter BTW).. . It'll settle well and truly; and completely ferment out (I think :think: help 5Star/somebody).
Frank

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies