Figs

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Figs

Postby crow » Mon May 07, 2012 1:39 pm

has anyone had experience with clearing agents . The sediment in this wash is such that any disturbance even syphoning just under the surface stirs every thing up into a hell of a mess . I was hoping to run this stuff tomorrow as it is not in an air tight container and is at a substantial risk of infection , it is a case of when not if
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon May 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Photos man! Photos! We need to see it. :?:
:think:

Can you not grab a pack of gelatine and clear it up? 24-36hrs after you put the gelly in it will pull a huge amount of gunk out and settle pretty firmly to the bottom of a fermenter.

Do you have a second fermenter of the same size? I would sterilise that one, dump a shit load of gelatine dissolved in hot water, and rack into secondary (with the gelatine at the bottom).

That depends on how gunky it is though. Are we talking like tree branch size bits? Will it block a racking tube?

Gelly would pull out yeast and large particulate in no time and is very cost effective. I am speaking as a brewer and what I'd do for beer which is not likely to be as gunky as your figs but technically speaking...Should work the same.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Mon May 07, 2012 2:15 pm

cheers BB didn't think of that . I have froze wine to clear it but I don't have the time or space to do that effectively . yes it was choking the siphon hose a bit , I took about 10 or so ltrs out and by then it had become so murky and full of suspended flesh ect that I just thought fuck it not putting that shit in the boiler , never clean the shit out of it . I've been away for a few days and am anxious to get it distilled before an infection can set in . There is an opake look to the surface so I think an infection is imminent and I'll have to move on this if I'm to run it before it spoils I've got gelatine I think I'll give that a go right now . EDIT : Thanks for that idea seems to be working already :D , be neat if I can run this tomorrow should have been done friday
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon May 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Yet another example of the supermarket being the friend of distillers and brewers :D

Do you know what a HBS charge for 'finings' and 'clearing agents' compared to a pack of gelatine from the supermarket?

:laughing-rolling:

Anyhooooo - glad whacking a bit of gelly in seems to be helping. You wait, 24 hours or so and the big bits will drop out of suspension nicely.

Cheers!

PS: Where's our photos! I have a fig tree and I'm hanging to see your wash!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Mon May 07, 2012 3:45 pm

ok well the wash looked great Friday hopefully tomorrow it will look ok still worried an infection has started . This wouldn't of happened if some prick didn't knock off all my old beer brewing fermenters . I've got 2 left but they have rum washes in them otherwise I'd never had used these bloody dodgy bins . I'll take some happy snaps of the fermenting washes with caps punch the cap down and take another , just give me a couple of hrs and I'll post some up here
crow

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 2:39 pm

UPDATE : ok the gel half worked , racked off half with a drum pump . I ran 2/3rds of the sludge through fly wire and the really thick shit is in a doona sack hanging from a ladder straining . This stuff I'll bottle and tip in the next run as the still is firing up to strip now , plus the keg is as full as you'd want it anyway (3 to 4" from the flange) . Now should already asked this : For the stripping run with this stuff I just want to fun it as fast as I can is that correct
crow

Postby SBB » Tue May 08, 2012 3:54 pm

croweater wrote: For the stripping run with this stuff I just want to fun it as fast as I can is that correct

Never dealt with figs but Id say yes.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 5:11 pm

:-w :whistle: :!! :confusion-waiting: :problem: Said before and I'll say it again man I need a bigger burner
crow

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 5:44 pm

took a picture of the fig sludge staining though fly wire , the wine was the colour of camel piss or for the westies swan gold , didn't try it but I'll hazard a guess that it tasted better than Swan . The still in what passes for a shed here getting ready to strip .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by crow on Tue May 08, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crow

Figs

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 pm

As a man with a freaking huge fig tree myself I look forward to reports, progress and more photos!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Kimbo » Tue May 08, 2012 7:18 pm

croweater wrote:took a picture of the fig sludge staining though fly wire , the wine was the colour of camel piss or for the westies swan gold . The still in what passes for a shed here getting ready to strip

Hey Crow, are you gunna keep that sludge to pitch the next batch onto?
or start a new one?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Kimbo wrote:
croweater wrote:took a picture of the fig sludge staining though fly wire , the wine was the colour of camel piss or for the westies swan gold . The still in what passes for a shed here getting ready to strip

Hey Crow, are you gunna keep that sludge to pitch the next batch onto?
or start a new one?

got 2 more on the go now . I don't trust the spurious yeasts in this or the next so the last one I might . I may use the dunder if I can clear it enough
crow

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 7:33 pm

ok well this is what I've done so far : I collected about 250mm that is fore shots for certain ,am now collecting the very start of the heads ABV has gone from 60 to 50% I expect it will say there for the most of the run . Distillate is ice cold but I figure that's because of the over the top Leibig . Temp is 91' about normal for how this still has ran in the past . Just a quick question why have I got ss mesh stuffed up the Liebig , I know I'm suppose to to improve its performance but what does it do ? EDIT ok through most if not all the heads now .... Drum roll .. this stuff is nice like it is , if a spirit run is going to improve it its going to be something out of the box I can tell you :handgestures-thumbupleft: . To tell the truth I was VERY lacking in confidence last night and today what with the start of an infection and all the bloody fines rising as soon as I touched it , its been more fucking around than anything I've ever brewed before but I now think this slop is going to pay huge divot ends in regards to taste
Last edited by crow on Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 pm

It 'disrupts' the vapor or some such,giving better knockdown from vapour to liquid,I think 8-}
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 8:28 pm

My unfinished stripping parrot Imageat work
crow

Postby Sam. » Tue May 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Looks functional enough for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

:icon-lol: :icon-lol: ran out of time got the last bit soldered 10 min. before the foreshots started :roll: . I will cut 1 1/2" off the bottom when I get a cap , want my 2 cent piece back still legal tender in a bank ya know EDIT finished was going to take down to 15 ABV and just on that I ran out of gas , yeah done :)) . I'll have check how much I got in the morning
crow

Postby R-sole » Wed May 09, 2012 4:41 am

Don't throw away all that foreshot. Do your cuts on the spirit run. It's just a waste.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby wynnum1 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 am

Does bentonite work.
wynnum1

Postby crow » Wed May 09, 2012 11:15 am

Ok I was worried I'd have a lot of methanol but it was not much different to rum or TPW maybe less . It was the only cut I bothered with . EDIT well that's stuff it , one to many frosts figs are kaput might get 1/3rd of a bucket if I'm lucky which I ain't . I might have 20 odd kgs left in the fridge to do and that's it so I'll get another 200ltrs of wash to run including was I have brewing and thats it . PS got around 10ltrs of low wines last night .
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies