Figs

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Figs

Postby crow » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 am

UPDATE : The next batch is finished , this lot was done with lowans yeast . I'll still put it in with the rest of the low wines I think . The wash has a gravity of prox 1.003 making it around 15% very similar to the first and is beginning to clear so I will run it tomorrow or Wednesday
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Wed May 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Ok doing another stripping run on the next batch this time I didn't get all anal on clearing wash . i was nearly going to buy some clearing agents for it as I won't be using the dunder on this one and then thought say who gives a toss , not like I'm going to mix the backset with lemonade and skull up . PS not that it would be worse than the pickled olive rum :puke-huge:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Wed May 16, 2012 7:41 pm

:whistle: :!! :angry-tappingfoot: :confusion-waiting: :teasing-poke: fucking really really REALLY got to get a bigger burner .turned the burner on about 3 column temp has gone from 12' to 13.9' Wizz click click click its 7:40 can still touch the keg without realizing the burner is on . Just so much bullshit , hear ppl on here saying oh 2 hrs turn to packed up :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: The really sad part is those bloody airstill wouldn't be any slower :crying-blue:
crow

Figs

Postby Sam. » Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Look up beer belly on their site is an Italian spiral burner put a high pressure reg on it and watch it go (and have a good supply of gas)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Wed May 16, 2012 9:08 pm

yeah well its 9 pm now and its just starting to drip the first drops of fore shots so thats six hrs to get to 60 ' fucking way beyond ridiculous . Just a bad joke really
crow

Postby MacStill » Wed May 16, 2012 9:35 pm

BD 747 wont take long to heat a keg up, maybe 45 seconds if your conservative :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 pm

croweater wrote:yeah well its 9 pm now and its just starting to drip the first drops of fore shots so thats six hrs to get to 60 ' fucking way beyond ridiculous . Just a bad joke really

Are you using a cigarette lighter? :laughing-rolling:

Sorry mate, feel your pain I started with a shit camping burner on a low pressure reg but that still got 50L to boil in just under 2 hours :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 pm

2 ring camp burner bbq reg so there lies the hass :roll: but yeah just sickening yes I think Don's contraptions is on the cards EDIT Well would that bite the crutch out of ya nannas best nightie was dripping out at about 1/4 the rate of the reflux still when it decided to puke sediment shit all up the lyne arm and down the Liebig man o man its going to be one of those nights , Some fucking strip run this is :roll:
crow

Postby R-sole » Wed May 16, 2012 11:36 pm

I have burner nossles in stock if you ever decide to make your own.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 12:00 am

yeah well i don't know whats going on here . I have insulated the hell out of everything and its gone from one drip every 2 seconds to say 4 drips every 3 seconds so I have about 40mm in a jar in 3 hrs just don't know why feel like shutting it down and trying to work out WTF is happening . I mean to say this is a fucking strip run and if the reflux unit was ever this slow I'd've booted it across the yard > things don't pick up this would take days and days to do a 50 ltr strip . At this rate I'm looking at between 9 and 12 hrs to fill one single fucking jar that equates to over a 100 hrs to do one 50 ltr strip , about 98 hrs too fucking long . Got me fucking fucked bloody fucking thing worked fine before , I mean a little slow more towards the end but pencil lead stream most of the time not like this bullshit . I check on it again and if there's no improvement I can't see the point in continuing
crow

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 12:38 am

Mystery solved just as I was writing that last post it occurred to me the only thing that could cause this is a blockage , and didn't that make me scoot sure enough temp was over the boiling point107' gee sus shut it down tried to remove the liebig big mistake . I reckon it puked shit up that is trapped in the 3/4 to 1/2 reducer I'll have to let the pressure subside before I can deal with it . big night for the crow tonight :doh: ha might have been bigger ifen I blew the shed to friggen pieces EDIT right Mods want to move this to move these last posts to fuck ups be cool with me . While I was waiting for the pressure to subside it blew the blockage out along with 2 to 5 ltrs of wash low wines mix , Lord God what next shit everywhere . So why wasn't I watching it ok well you know the saying ya know god really has it in for ya when he answers all ya prayers . lady friend turned up just as I had shut it down , I got distracted then thought hell better check on it , said I'll be 2 min . 20 min latter here I am back she's got sick of waiting and is sleeping not 3 mtrs from me . fuck my life sux sometimes :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: told ya one of those nights . anyway its up and running again so I better get out there and check it CYA the stunned Crow
Last edited by crow on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crow

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 am

Righty oh it cruzing out at a nicer pace now girls still snoring :angry-banghead: ah well better keep an eye on this anyway . So anyway its coming out about 50% same nice flavor hope I didn't lose too much hells bells its squirted 2ft up the wall a mtr away and filled to overflow an ice cream container that was 3ft to the right of the out let , come to think of it fucking glad in wasn't in there when it happened , under pressure lord only knows how hot it would have been good lesson for me , got a problem stop and fix it . fucking 20 past 5 cold as charity why why why didn't I twig to what was wrong paying dearly now , wishing it was over now let me tell ya.... 6:20 and this nightmare run is far from over oh gawd....7:30. Worst run EVER possibly by anyone EVER just finished so 16 hrs to do a stripping run of 50 ltrs . one quarter of that would have pissed me . anyway got about 7.5 ltrs of low wines so I guess I lost between 2 to 3 ltrs totally rooted now be asking the boss if I can start work after smoko :)) luckily thats me ATM #:-s
crow

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 pm

With the benefit of hindsight I can't recommend bread yeast for this type of ferment , it won't clear and produces too much sediment . The end product seems ok but its not worth the shit you WILL go through , use a wine yeast . I had to try it to see but I never would again . I should have taken pic's of the last 3 different ferments , I didn't so take my word on it
crow

Postby Frank » Thu May 17, 2012 9:17 pm

youre right Mr S Aus
wouldn't have happened if you were using an AIRSTILL ;-)
Frank

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Jesus Crow, sounds like its a good thing you didnt have a bigger burner or there might not have been a shed left :shock:

Thats one of the big downsides of using gas is that you need to watch the fucking thing constanstly, I hate leaving my stills for more than a minute cos if a cooling line disconnects or the pump shits you are pumping out ethanol vapour right next to the flame. :handgestures-thumbdown:

The other problem is what you had and a blockage which is even scarier, imaging if you had done the same thing with a bigger burner? Just kept cranking it cos the out output was shit then the pressure got that great that BOOM :angry-extinguishflame: fuck knows what damage that would actually do......
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Yeah went through my mind . will strain all washes before putting them In the boiler from now on , I mean it would only take 2 min. and the other silly thing is I put a thermometer in it so this couldn't happen and when it pointed towards a problem I just thought say thats weird wouldn't be restricted in there would it and thought well we'll see what it does . i mean if ya go through my posts ya can see how I was thinking and yet I let it go :teasing-knob: any way i won't be so fucking stupid again (lucky break) I'd say . PS just like to add that it is my belief that what averted what very well could have been a major incident was having the long liebig , I made it long just in case something like this happened because I can tell yaz from when I attempted to remove the condenser I found the still was highly pressurized with ethanol vapor . My condenser is almost 1800mm long so most of the vapor would have been blasted out the shed door (I always face the outlet at the door way)
crow

Postby R-sole » Fri May 18, 2012 3:35 am

croweater wrote:With the benefit of hindsight I can't recommend bread yeast for this type of ferment , it won't clear and produces too much sediment . The end product seems ok but its not worth the shit you WILL go through , use a wine yeast . I had to try it to see but I never would again . I should have taken pic's of the last 3 different ferments , I didn't so take my word on it

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I told you that back on page 1 :teasing-neener:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Fri May 18, 2012 11:48 am

5Star wrote: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I told you that back on page 1 :teasing-neener:

yeah I know but I'm one of those clowns that see a wet paint sign and still got to touch it and see , oh fuck so it is where's the bloody turps
crow

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 am

UPDATE : okay putting down the second to last batch today pitched on Selezione active Cerevisiae yeast from 5Star . seems to be well and truly the most suitable yeas for this .
crow

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 2:05 pm

hey is a picture of a wash that that finished fermenting today beginning to clear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies