Banana

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Banana

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:08 pm

Finally found cheap nanas, 15kg boxes for $5 each, got 2 an put them in freezer. Had to take them out to defrost tonight. Will put them in fermenter after work tomorrow an post the way I do it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Re: Banana

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Just be careful and make good cuts, there was a thread here a few years ago about banana washes and they can produce high levels of foreshots. I’ll try to find the thread tomorrow.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Got home early from work an started on nannas. About 35kg of them with the others in freezer. Added 10l of water an hit with mixing drill. Sg was 1.045 and added pectinase and will leave it for 24hrs for it to do its job.
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed May 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Got a bit busy and left the pectinase to work for 2 days :teasing-tease: , all good. Added ec1118 and big pinch of citric acid. It’s bubbling away now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

Postby bluc » Wed May 01, 2019 8:49 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby invisigoth » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:03 pm

it's been a few months.. how did it go? i ran my own version today.
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby garouda » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:Got a bit busy and left the pectinase to work for 2 days :teasing-tease: , all good. Added ec1118 and big pinch of citric acid. It’s bubbling away now :handgestures-thumbupleft:

We have lots of bananas different varieties here, so thanks for the input. Why pectinase? There isn't that much pectine in bananas. If the purpose is to break down starch molecules why shouldn't we use amylase?
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 pm

The ripening process converts the starch to sugar so amylase isn’t needed. There is pectin in bananas is I use it but that is up to u wether to use it or not.
I still haven’t run it, been busy with ag bourbon. Will run it soon 8-}
Wobblyboot

Postby invisigoth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:The ripening process converts the starch to sugar so amylase isn’t needed. There is pectin in bananas is I use it but that is up to u wether to use it or not.
I still haven’t run it, been busy with ag bourbon. Will run it soon 8-}

hehe mine is the other way around. the nana's finished before the ag bourbon...it's been going for 2 weeks so far :o . i don't use pectin because it promotes additional methanol production. does make it clear a lot faster though. by the time you have done your cuts, oaked it and diluted to drinking abv it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans... but i err on the side of caution :-p . if your's is nice and clear you probably won't have a foaming problem. at one stage looking through the view port into the boiler, it looked like the perfect 20l mug of beer :)) . I got lucky and the foam started to collapse just as it reached the top of the boiler....glad i had a 100mm spacer before the first plate :scared-eek: ! the fact that there was no heating of the must and no added sugar may have also contributed :think: .
invisigoth

Postby invisigoth » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm

invisigoth wrote: i don't use pectin because it promotes additional methanol production. does make it clear a lot faster though.

edit: that should read pectinase, not pectin :violence-stickwhack:
invisigoth

Postby EziTasting » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 pm

invisigoth wrote:
invisigoth wrote: i don't use pectin because it promotes additional methanol production. does make it clear a lot faster though.

edit: that should read pectinase, not pectin :violence-stickwhack:

Theres been loads of discussion raging about this I'd check out the facts ... as I remember it, it CAN lead to more methanol production, but that depends on how you use it. Of the top of my head, it depends on what temperature you have the pectinase working on the fruit as to how much methanol it produces ... been trying to find the link, to no avail :angry-banghead:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby JayTee » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Hi - I've been trying to get banana flavour / smell to come through in the distillate rather as a flavour enhancer rather than produce a banana spirit per se.

I tried fermenting with Hefeweizen ale yeast (White Labs WLP300) at the top of its temp range (c. 25degC) because that's meant to produce banana flavours. As an afterthought, I added half an extremely ripe (almost totally black) banana including half the skin. This was in a wash of about 45L.

Although the fermentation smelled great, nothing came through in the distillate.

I'm obviously way off the mark with my "half a banana" (LOL). Does anyone know approx how many bananas I need to start tasting / smelling banana? Cheers
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Postby db1979 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:58 am

The banana flavour/smell comes from the ester isoamyl acetate which has a boiling point of 141 degrees C. This doesn't mean your boiler needs to get to 141 before it'll come across because water and ethanol as a mixture with isoamyl acetate will together have a lower boiling point than 141. Since its boiling point is so high, it won't start coming across until into the tails. So I think you'll have missed the banana due to too tight cuts. Perhaps next time you try, run it faster to encourage more smearing, or you could try macerating bananas in your hearts cuts, then run through a pot still nice and fast (after getting rid of foreshots/heads again).
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby JayTee » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:52 am

db1979 wrote:Since its boiling point is so high, it won't start coming across until into the tails. So I think you'll have missed the banana due to too tight cuts. Perhaps next time you try, run it faster to encourage more smearing, or you could try macerating bananas in your hearts cuts, then run through a pot still nice and fast (after getting rid of foreshots/heads again).

Thanks. I think I'll try the hearts cut maceration with banana - then fast pot Still. I'm deliberately trying to avoid taking tails as I'd like to be able to drink this pretty much straight away (i.e. with no oaking & carbon filtering).
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Return to Fruit & Vegies