veg nutrients

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: veg nutrients

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Some nice ideas coming through good to see and it truly is a bit of fun.

Crow if you have any recall on recipe for a lillypilly I'm on cos i like them straight off the bush. btw how would i sterilise the composter? :D

Gee Frank you have been around bit :-D guru on malts as a bonus...malt+ which fruit I wonder ground almonds or store bought almond meal? ...I'd like to try these one day

Good pt Multi especially for Law's strict will it ferment by itelf washes...keep this in mind when i crank up the next...Fennel to go into a to a Ouzo product.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 pm

bt1 wrote:Some nice ideas coming through good to see and it truly is a bit of fun.

Crow if you have any recall on recipe for a lillypilly I'm on cos i like them straight off the bush.Yep the main fella doing this died a few months back the his 2 side kicks are round and his son is a good mate btw how would i sterilise the composter? :D bt1

See there you guys go again wanting a sterile wash , ( beer brewers :roll: ) ya know the ole flogs use t chuck horse shit in as nutrient hey ?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:14 am

I have done a coriander seed wash for thai terror but i added a nutrient bomb.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby googe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am

Taste good 5Star?, did the flavour come through much?.
My missus is an aromatherapist and makes her own products, i was talking about nutrients cause she knows a bit about it with her business, she mentioned she has pure vitamin A, E, and C in liquid form. Needless to say my ears pricked up :)) , how would i be able to work out what amounts to use if i did?, if they were appropriate?.

Cheers
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Been a bit busy the last week or so,a word of warning! Be careful doing a mango wash.....the end product tastes great. It turns out very expensive when you turn around and the missus has gone and bought a new Dyson :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby grumpthehermit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Started another experiment fermenting yesterday.

Playing with some supermarket bought whole green dried lentils ( Google searching, supposed to be high in Nitrogen ), soaked them in water for two days then measured out 1 metric cup full and put into the blender with a cup and a half of the water they were soaking in ...

Blended the crap out of them, ended up with a foamy lentil milkshake lol ... :))

Dumped into my fermenter with 500 grams of passionfruit pulp (the vine here has been going nuts), 6kg's of sugar and a tablespoon of epsom salt and filled up to 25L with 90 grams of Lowans.

Smelled so good I started a second one ... lol.

Have them both sitting on 27 degrees and they are both kicking along just fine.

Was thinking, how can I make a passionfriut vodka, searched for high nitrogen foods with the intention of using as a DAP substitute. Hoping the bland weak flavour of the lentils works as a suitable yeast food and is totally overpowered by the passionfruit flavour?

If it tastes like crap after a double or tripple potstill I'll just make it into a netural ...

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Jesiah » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm about to start making a boat load of liqueurs / infusions / elixers from native herbs and fruit, got a lot of stuff already from herbalistics.com.au, Quandongs are on the top too as we get a lot native to my area. Mango wines and liqueurs have been done before.

I won't be using any of them through the wash though but there is a really nice sugarbeet vodka from france so that should work okay, not sure the difference between sugarbeet and beetroot though.. Albeit I will be making a beetroot and chocolate liqueur and a avocado and chocolate liqueur.
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby googe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:45 am

That sounds yum grump!, love passionfruit!. Keep us posted about how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Beetroot and chocolate jesiah!, not sure if that should be nice or nasty :)) . Good luck!.
googe

Postby Jesiah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Have you never had beetroot and chocolate cookies? They are amazing! So moist and full of flavour.

After distilling the lentil passionfruit wash would much flavour be left? One would assume that you would need to infuse the flavour after distilling. passionfruit and blood orange go well together also.
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby grumpthehermit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Jesiah wrote:Have you never had beetroot and chocolate cookies? They are amazing! So moist and full of flavour.

After distilling the lentil passionfruit wash would much flavour be left? One would assume that you would need to infuse the flavour after distilling. passionfruit and blood orange go well together also.

The whole idea of the potstilling it is to carry over the flavour.

I just have no clue how it will turn out, the lentils may make it taste disgusting ...

There is a Mc Still post here somewhere about citrus vodka, "citrus anyone" where the wash contained the fruit.

I have made macerated passionfruit and used the simple sugar recipe to sweeten it, but it only tastes nice at a low abv for me and I don't like too much of it as I find it too sweet.

If this does not work, I might macerate in neutral then potstill instead and see how that goes.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Sounds like a bit of fun...not sure about a lentil milkshake :puke-huge:

reckon I'm tempted to start matching veggie wash types to end products so my next will be the fennel (spicy/licorice/anise bulb type veggie) to go to a Ouzo...common flavours idea.

Malt and almond paste/meal for Frank... have a crack!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Im currently saving all the veg water from our meals and going to do a full wash with it, im guessing it might be to nutrient rich, will see.
googe

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 pm

I ran the Passionfruit / Lentil Milkshake wash.

Got a good volume from it and no weird smell in the distillate or from the boiler afterwards from the lentils.

Lentils worked very well in my opinion.

Just airing now then tasting to see how much flavour came through and see how good or bad it tastes.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby grumpthehermit » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Post airing ...

No lentil taste :D no off tastes at all.

I think I have Passionfruit notes but I don't thinks it's enough to be drinkable like this.

Have made a 40% bottle up and put it in the freezer for tonight for "science", have also macerated 6 more passionfruit in another bottle of 40% passionfruit spirit and will leave that for two weeks before straining and tasting ...

In my opinion the lentils are a winner.

I'm going to use them when I make my next neutral wash instead of a TPW and see how it goes.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby googe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Good stuff mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , who would have thought lentils could be put to good use :)) . Let us know how your science experiment goes ;). Given me an idea toight, the missus brought some little tins of passtionfruit for cooking, might have to steal one :shifty: .
googe

Postby googe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Put this down today
4.5kg white sugar
100 bakers yeast
500ml Campbell's liquid veg stock
googe

Postby googe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Sg was 1078, just checked it before, bubbling away nicely and no tom stink. The smell is very neutral.
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Spose you could mix it with carrot juice for the full on vegan experience :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Vegan Vodka :clap: :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Hmmmmm hairy armpit woman :puke-huge:
googe

Postby crow » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 pm

Jokes aside I did here of some recipe somewhere that involved that V8 juice and carrots if ya can get feed carrots cheap enough are very high in both sugar and neut's. Some commercial vodka is made solely from carrots. might be hard to get them cheap enough but it wouldn't be too hard to source the recipe :twocents-mytwocents:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies