Grapes

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Grapes

Postby crow » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm in SA (read gods country) and Grape season is under way :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: I was thinking I would put some wine down and take it back home for running, unless I run some here to show the brother in law how to run the old pot still
So who else has grapes in their sights for this season and what varieties are you looking at/have access to
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Grapes

Postby emptyglass » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:54 pm

No grapes here, but I've heard you can use the same method/recipie for slivovitz and you will make pisco. Not sure of the best varietys though.
emptyglass

Postby invisigoth » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:56 pm

mudgee isn't too far away for me. i know there is cab sav and chardonnay out there, but i had heard there was also some italian and portuguese vines kicking around out there too. i had some metaxa once. i'd be keen to do something similar. :dance:
think i need access to muscat for that.
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby crow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:28 am

Pisco is made from muscat varieties, but the fortified wine known as muscat is often made from gordo's which I believe is somewhat similar to white muscat as is palamino's . I will take what I can get cheap or free and it will get made into brandy.
Peeps if you can only get black grapes don't panic , you can still make a nice clear white wine and here's how. when you press/crush the grapes make sure you strain out the mark (skins and flesh) as soon as possible, the longer you leave it the most tannins ect will leach into the juice. Ok now once strained of pitch the yeast and you will very soon see any remaining mark and colour drop as sediment on the bottom of the fermenter, whul la : bianca vino :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Goldie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 am

I am interested in putting some wine down, wanna try a red first up but unsure what is a good grape to begin.
I Have been looking at grape prices here and everything seems very expensive, haven't had much time to explore and find something decent but hopefully will be able soon.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby bt1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 am

Crow,

Not sure on grapes ...it's new area for me so is it poss to get a basic method for doing grapes so got some ideas on what's needed how it's done sorta stuff.

I guess what are the normal drinks made for distillers would be a good start to work out if it appeals.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am

@ Goldie try aproaching growers in the Swan Valley , they may let you clean up the vines after mechanical harvesting for free or quite cheap
@ bt Just make a very basic white wine for distilling . Just crush the grapes, strain if they are not white grapes
(You can strain anyway if you wish). There will be no need to add water or sugar and try to pitch with a wine yeast.
There is wild yeast on grapes but this is more often slow moving . Depending on the variety you may have to adjust the pH
crow

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 am

Goldie wrote:I am interested in putting some wine down, wanna try a red first up but unsure what is a good grape to begin.
I Have been looking at grape prices here and everything seems very expensive, haven't had much time to explore and find something decent but hopefully will be able soon.

Cheap Grapes WA :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Goldie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:10 am

Cheers Mac, all my last gumtree searches have been dismal.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Interesting comment on Bob Katters Facebook page" Kevin McCarthy My neighbor will be dumping 150 tonnes of Rhine Riesling on the ground shortly. No wineries want them, even though they are top quality. They have to be harvested , if left on the vine they continue to draw next years nutrients, so on the ground they will go. Anyone know anyone who wants them?"
wynnum1

Postby blond.chap » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes please
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Your kidding , wheres that? Yeah bloke working at a winery here was talking but yeast , said I need to get some wine yeast does that mob sell it he laught and said he'll bring me in a sandwich bag of it tonight :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I've been to busy to get on to any growers yet, got a 60 ltr bucket of apples to do as well (no fucking way to crush them though) :roll:
Edit reisling is top shit for brandy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Grapes

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:16 pm

60L of apple ? I'd do half as cider and half as apple calvados brandy.

Lucky mongrel!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:53 pm

crow wrote:got a 60 ltr bucket of apples to do as well (no fucking way to crush them though)

Anything wrong with running them through a juicer Crow????
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Grapes

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:10 pm

SBB it's tedious and time consuming and you end up with a lot of pulp that's fine if you're doing cider, but really hard to filter for a spirit.

I've done a lot of pears for perry cider from our tree through the juicer and it took forever to do and forever to clear and filter.

Crushing would be work heaps better.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Well I got grapes , late yes I know but I'm amazed at how much juice they still have and being so late very very sweet
crow

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Whats the plan??
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 pm

maika de vino den maika da grappa :D
crow

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm

If anyone can, the brandy man can

The brandy man can, cos he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good.

You got just the still for the job mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu May 09, 2013 9:02 pm

yeah but not here I don't hmm might be carting low wines home and all my wine making stuff has been re purposed :roll: .
Datsa ok we do it lieka day do in de old country .
crow

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies