Backyard and blonde's apple adventure

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 am

Yeah that meet up was great, good to share skills and resources.

Also trying to filter the figs and apricots has been the worst task ever, so a press was starting to make damn fine sense.

However if we do a sugar head using all the pressed apple march (loads of flavour & aroma still) then it's back to filtering all the apple scraps out before a run - but seems crazy to waste them...worth it you think?

Now for a good supply of grapes!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Backyard and blonde's apple adventure

Postby blond.chap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 am

Why not just mix the dried Apple with water, soak for a week, then run through the press again? Or were you thinking of fermenting on the apples?
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 am

blond.chap wrote:Why not just mix the dried Apple with water, soak for a week, then run through the press again? Or were you thinking of fermenting on the apples?

Yeah on the apples was my thinking. As there's a bit of moisture in the apple pressings I worry they'll go moldy before being dry enough.

Sugar and apple flesh was my thinking, more of a flavoured sugar wash than an actual fermented cider.

If the consensus is we're wasting our efforts then perhaps it's chook feed and compost?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Partly boil the flesh and do a sugar head brandy fermenting with the flesh in, It might taste really good if not well you'll have loads of neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I'll sell you my tractor crow, you might need a pto to use the press....
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Crow: we added absolutely tonnes of march last week to my compost bin, I opened it up for a stir after all the hot weather this week and my compost bin smells just like apple brandy!!

Won't be missing an opportunity to try a sugar head after smelling the sweetest compost bin ever today.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:20 pm

[quote="BackyardBrewer ] However if we do a sugar head using all the pressed apple march (loads of flavour & aroma still) then it's back to filtering all the apple scraps out before a run - but seems crazy to waste them...worth it you think?[/quote]
you could just discard the last quarter and that would save alot of straining, thinking of doing that with this 44 gal drum of apple wine
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Could you put one of those strainer bags in the press and use it as a filter?
Sort of like a liner and fill it with whatever?
Or would it just burst?
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 pm

WineGlass wrote:Could you put one of those strainer bags in the press and use it as a filter?
Sort of like a liner and fill it with whatever?
Or would it just burst?

From the way this works it would just crumple as the press wound down. I could add a strainer or filter over the bucket collecting the juice. It actually does a great job of filtering 98% of solids out.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Hmm just returned from uptown,I really should have left the ute at home :angry-banghead: Was talking to an acquaintances' missus who runs the fruit and veg dept at Woolies,trying to sus out a cheap supplier of apples etc :handgestures-thumbupleft: She said " don't be so fucking stupid",called her equivalent from groceries over and I walked out with 156l of pure apple juice for the grand total of $110 :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: Fuck pressing the apples :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat May 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Score cuppy! What did that come in? Cubes? Or did you take home 150 bottles of juice?

Hit it with some wine yeast and you'll have a fine calvados in no time. However it won't be as spectacular as our batch of hand pressed fresh juice. :teasing-neener:

The juice was unlike anything I'd ever tasted. Absolutely unlike mass produced pasteurised stuff.

:character-beavisbutthead:
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Na 13 cartons containing 4x3l bottles,backed the ute down the driveway to the shed,all the missus did was shake her head :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
The Sheila that sorted it all out for me is gunna make a few inquiries to their supplier about juice in bulk,either cubes or she said that she has seen on the order forms,drums of juice,wether or not she can order it remains to be seen.but she is gunna find out and maybe find out if I can order straight from the supplier :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
May not taste as good mate,but just a quick question and not trying to be smart,but how many kg's of apples did you have to press to get 150l of juice?
Cane Toad

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat May 11, 2013 7:40 pm

1 - if I had a dollar for every time the missus has shaken her head at me over this hobby of ours I'd be a rich(er) man:)

2 - 400kgs, cost $100 and a shitload of time & effort.

Did you see that bulk wine/grape/juice site blond.chap posted? We're investigating either buying bulk wine or bulk juice for this same reason. Heaps quicker!
http://www.grapesforsale.com.au/jadehttp.dll?GrapeSales
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 pm

That looks the go mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: maybe Crow ^:)^ ^:)^ could put up a list of what wine would be preferable to use for putting through the still :handgestures-thumbupleft: I don't spose cheapest is always best :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 11, 2013 8:06 pm

I spose with the whole apples though,you get 2 cracks at the title,whole juice and then you can use the march and some sugar and go again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But if you can get 100% juice for the right price,saves a heap of effort :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Maybe it's time to motorise the press fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby Stinger » Sat May 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Apple juice and concentrate is the route for this old-fart. :teasing-tease:

Very rewarding to make a good apple-brandy, which I prefer to grape-based brandy. More rewarding if you've done your own scratting and pressing though. ;-)

In my next life life I'll plant an orchard - when I'm young. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stinger

equipment: 3" CM/pot still, 4" bubbler

Postby blond.chap » Sat May 11, 2013 9:18 pm

OK just did a quick early taste test with the cider from this. The conclusion was that the one we watered down a bit tasted light, yeasty, musty and slightly like urine. The other one however was absolutely awesome, needs more carbonation obviously, but I think it'll make a fine drop.
blond.chap

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat May 11, 2013 9:41 pm

blond.chap wrote:OK just did a quick early taste test with the cider from this. The conclusion was that the one we watered down a bit tasted light, yeasty, musty and slightly like urine. The other one however was absolutely awesome, needs more carbonation obviously, but I think it'll make a fine drop.

You hoofed in after a week? No wonder it smelt like piss!:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Sun May 12, 2013 8:00 am

Last year I bought fresh apple juice from a place in the hills for $1.20 a litre to make cider, can find the name if anyone is interested
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby blond.chap » Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Just as a quick trial, I know you have self restraint BYB, but I'm too curious.

S&L that might be worth looking at next time, not too far off the cost of just buying the apples.
blond.chap

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies