Oranges

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Oranges

Postby Dominator » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:01 pm

I have an orange tree out the back and the fruit is good to go at the moment. I am thinking of fermenting it. I would say i could get 6+ Kg of fruit from it. Is it worth me mashing it and fermenting in say a 20L wash (with sugar) and running it through my pot still to see what I get or is going to be a waste of time?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: Oranges

Postby JDB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Just did something very similar with a box of mandarins I got for free. Zested the fruit to make a Mandarincello liquor, and then boiled up the fruit with a bit of sugar and DAP then fermented with some champagne yeast. After two weeks of furious fermenting I ran the stuff through my boka as a single run, pulling 94-95% alc out. End product is nice neutral with a hint of citrus in the 2L of hearts recover, and a heads and tails both with a stronger flavour that I'm airing out for a few days before deciding what to do with.
JDB

equipment: McStill 2" Bokka
Heaps of beer making stuff

Postby crow » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Yep orange juice makes a nice brandy I'm told and the marc and peel fermented with sugar makes Contreu and triple sec type drinks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Yeah there is a fruit and veg joint here that have oranges for 1c each :wtf:

The thought crossed my mind...then I thought what if I wanted to buy just one orange? :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:15 am

well Sam old son ya wouldn't get much piss out of one orange I fear :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:15 am

:laughing-rolling: My point was how the fuck was I going to pay for it? :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:57 am

sam_and_liv wrote::laughing-rolling: My point was how the fuck was I going to pay for it? :laughing-rolling:

EFTPOS :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Oranges

Postby Sam. » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 am

MacStill wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote::laughing-rolling: My point was how the fuck was I going to pay for it? :laughing-rolling:

EFTPOS :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There's always that but I wanted a free orange! Or twenty tones!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Oranges

Postby droo1966 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 am

Crow, what is "Marc"? Being a cook with 20+ years experience I have never heard of any part of a citrus fruit called "Marc", only zest, pith, flesh, seeds and juice.
droo1966

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 am

First ever Wine I made was Orange .I make it quite a lot .Also Grapefruit .Because we have several Trees of them as well

One year I mixed two parts Orange wine with one part Grapefruit .The Bottles had GOO written on them .Sons mate lovers the shit and always wants to drink goo when he comes around .Never distilled any though .

Like JDB said ,use a wine yeast .Not Bakers

Juice of about 12-14 oranges
1.5Kg sugar
teaspoon yeast nutrient
1-2 teaspoons wine yeast
top up with water to 5 liters
1-2 teaspoons Pectinaze if you want wine (don't bother if you're going to distill)
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 am

droo1966 wrote:what is "Marc"?

It's a wine making term for what's left after pressing the fruit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Oranges

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 am

droo1966 wrote:Crow, what is "Marc"? Being a cook with 20+ years experience I have never heard of any part of a citrus fruit called "Marc", only zest, pith, flesh, seeds and juice.

Perhaps you've heard it called Pomace? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomace

When talking grapes It's the only product by law in Italy you can make authentic grappa from.

When blond.chap and I made cider earlier this year we kept all the apple marc, added it to sugar, water and yeast and made some pretty fine calvados with it.

Waste not, want not:)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Fruit & Vegies