Brandy Flavor's ???

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Brandy Flavor's ???

Postby Konzo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:04 am

What various flavors of Brandy have people tried and what are their opinions?

Obviously there is apple, pear and plum, but what else is good?
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Re: Brandy Flavor's ???

Postby Summie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Banana.
Summie

equipment: Pura distilling reflux and boiler, 2.5" stripping pot still.
4" modular 4 plate bubble cap with 50 litre keg boiler.

Postby blond.chap » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 pm

...how about grape?
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Mangoes work a treat :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: and it looks like a bumper crop here this year :D
But I can't wait to try the lychees,got a customer who dumps about 30 tonnes of 2nd grade fruit each year,it'll only be about 29 tonnes this year :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Need more fermenters me thinks
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 pm

blond.chap wrote:...how about grape?

Nah, don't reckon that would work :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Brandy Flavor's ???

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:46 pm

I got a bunch of fig brandy ageing at the moment. Figs cost a fortune in the shops but if you know someone with a tree (I've got a prolific fruiter in my yard) they'll tell you that they need no care, no water and no fertiliser and they produce tonnes of high sugar fruit.

It was a little rough tasting as white dog but a little oak and time and a handful of raisins then you've got yourself a very nice fruit brandy. Just be patient and don't run it too hard and leave it to air and make harsh cuts as all that fruit sugar means methanol.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Konzo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Mmmmmmm so many good ideas. Especially Mango :-) yum
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby crow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 am

about any sweet fruit will do the trick, actually if you add sugar you can change that to any fruit at all, Plumbs are good and by all report so is pears, oranges, apricots and peaches.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Brandy Flavor's ???

Postby Lupus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 am

Pinto bootleg
Keep us up to date about how the lychees go. That is a very subtle flavour but amazing. Tried some lychee liquor in a martini and loved the taste!
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby DaveZ » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 am

I'm liking the idea of a mango brandy, especially seeing as I have a huge mango tree in my back yard. What sort of yeast wouldiI use for that? Is it just a matter of working out how much mango I need to get a 10% wash, peeling them and slicing them up and let it go?

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby greenguy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:15 am

Mango sounds good pitty there like $5 each over here in New zealand gues you would peel em de pip them and mash it all up
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Brandy Flavor's ???

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:37 pm

If I had that many manngers I'd try a brandy but honestly steeping them in neutral would be more cost effective I reckon. You could flavour a lot of neutral with two manngers.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby DaveZ » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:52 pm

I reckon sourcing enough to do both won't be a problem up here. Going by the way the trees are flowering this year I'll have to find something to do with them. A couple hundred litres of mango wine to run sounds like enough work for me, but I'll try steeping some in neutral as well, that's worked a treat on all the other fruits I've tried it with.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby crow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:17 pm

greenguy wrote:Mango sounds good pitty there like $5 each over here in New zealand gues you would peel em de pip them and mash it all up

Maybe try Kiwi fruit then :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Brandy Flavor's ???

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 am

DaveZ wrote:I reckon sourcing enough to do both won't be a problem up here. Going by the way the trees are flowering this year I'll have to find something to do with them. A couple hundred litres of mango wine to run sounds like enough work for me, but I'll try steeping some in neutral as well, that's worked a treat on all the other fruits I've tried it with.

Yeah I'm concerned this run will turn out badly and taste awful. Best you run that couple of hundred litres of wash and then send all the 90% final product down to me in SA for some quality control:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby DaveZ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 am

Hahaha you're probably right BYB, I need to work out what sort of yeast to use first. Will probably have a look around later today and see what I can find online. Then I need a decent sized fermenter...
DaveZ

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey Dave,isn't there a drum recycler in Mackay somewhere??? If not,I'm gunna be ordering a few from tilkeys in Brisbane,I think I payed about $30 ea last time,not sure,but I'll let you know :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Dominator » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:38 pm

DaveZ wrote:Hahaha you're probably right BYB, I need to work out what sort of yeast to use first. Will probably have a look around later today and see what I can find online. Then I need a decent sized fermenter...

EC1118 is a fantastic all round yeast. bt1 started a thread recently on yeast for fruit washes here.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby DaveZ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Not sure Don, could be, I don't get to mackay much at the moment, but could be worth a trip for a couple of cheep 44s I reckon.
DaveZ

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:40 pm

crow wrote:
greenguy wrote:Mango sounds good pitty there like $5 each over here in New zealand gues you would peel em de pip them and mash it all up

Maybe try Kiwi fruit then :laughing-rolling:

Frozenthunderbolt has just about nailed feijoa . I have been trying them a few ways but its easy for the spirit to end up way too sour. I am pretty certain his recipe is bang on will be trying it next season..
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies