Calvados Melbourne Request

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Calvados Melbourne Request

Postby fergal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi Guys,

First time poster here so apologies if this thread is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.
I have been making cider for a few years now and this year I would like to take some and turn it into Calvados/brandy. I certainly do not need another hobby so I was wondering if somebody experienced on here would like to distill the cider and we share the spoils..
I am located in Murrumbeena (near Chadstone) in Vic.

Cheers,

Fergal.

p.s. what quantity of calvados would we be looking at from a 19l keg?
fergal

equipment: Nothing

Re: Calvados Melbourne Request

Postby RefluxEd » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:21 pm

If you like Calvados then go ahead. I tried it using 2 types of organic apple cider from South Aus. One was from Johnagold apples and the other from Ribston Pippin. I distilled the Johnagold first. It tasted like soap. The Ribston Pippin was better, but still tasted like soap. Rather disappointing.
My boss came back from a holiday in France and had brought back a bottle of $120+ Calvados from the region. Hearing about my experience, he brought it in to work to give me a taste. Guess what? It tasted like soap more than the Johnagold!
:puke-huge:

IMHO, buy a bottle first to see if you like it. You may decide that it isn't worth the effort.

Edit: Depending on the ABV % which I'd guess is about 12-14% and the type of still, from a 19 litre keg you'd get about 2 litres of hearts at around 60% which you'd dilute back to 40%, giving you about 3 litres.
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby fergal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks for the response, yeah i've had it several times here and in France but can't ever remember the soap taste you are describing... maybe my tastebuds are not that fine tuned though!
fergal

Postby RefluxEd » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi fergal,
I work in Dandenong. I still have the cuts from both runs. I haven't put any of it oak though. The initial tast put me off. I'm keeping the cuts to take back to my friends in SA so that they can have a go at blending. I could do a bit of blending and give you a sample if you like.
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.

Postby fergal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi mate, yeah that would be fantastic. I also work in Dandenong - Greens Rd...
fergal

Postby RefluxEd » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 pm

OK fergal,
I'll do some blending tonight and put it on oak. I'll PM you with my telephone number when it's ready so that we can organise a meetup.
RefluxEd

2 inch Pot still.

Return to Fruit & Vegies