3 phase voltage controller

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

3 phase voltage controller

Postby B-Man » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:40 pm

has anyone created a 3 phase voltage controller?
I have 3 phase in the shed and figured hooking up into the 3 phase plug for my welder would net me a heap of power available.
I just need to get a 3 phase element
I was wondering if I could set it to on to heat up then switch it to the controller mode when its hot.
I cant find any VA SSR's for 3 phase but can find standard SSR's
Is there any way to hook them up to a potentiometer? I don't want to PID it turning it off and on based on temps rather just slow the boil down.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Re: 3 phase voltage controller

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 pm

I think you want a ssr with a frequency control circuit rather then an amperage control circuit. Then match the frequency to a potentionmeter. Look for a potentionmeter with an earth tab for the control dial. Simply continuity test will pinpoint the earth tab.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Clickeral » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 am

Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby chipboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:20 am

You wont find a 3 phase heater because it does not exist. For you purpose think of it as 3 individual single phase connections. Be very careful ie don't do it yourself as

1: it dangerous,
2: not by the rules,
3: phase to phase faults will pull thousands of amps in fault current and certainly will / should take out your pole fuses and or cause havoc in your wiring / house / installation.

It is possible and you will have 3 by 2.4kW heating elements using 3 of the single phase controllers, a single 3 phase controller will work this way too to maintain a balanced load. How big and what are the heating losses involved?

Its a little more complicated than you think it is but quite logical all the same.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:29 am

In order to get single phase from a 3 phase supply one just taps a phase and uses the neutral wire, this will give you a single phase output with plenty of grunt to power a heating element. Now make sure you get a sparkie to do the work as this is advanced stuff and NOT for the average Joe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RC Al » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Put in a massive 3ph element or 2-3 smaller ones and then fine tune running the still with with a regular 240v one?

No huge controller cost then, the 6kw elements I bought can be run as either 3x 2000w 240v loops or bridged up to 6000w 3ph. They make them up to 12kw, still going to need that sparky though.

The more spread out the heat sources are, the more efficient the boiler, this the other reason they make ULWD elements (not just anti scorch)

A good PID can be made to hit a power level instead of a temp.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby B-Man » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:24 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:In order to get single phase from a 3 phase supply one just taps a phase and uses the neutral wire, this will give you a single phase output with plenty of grunt to power a heating element. Now make sure you get a sparkie to do the work as this is advanced stuff and NOT for the average Joe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

thought about that but the neutral wire isn't capable of running 3 single phase elements.

electrician is not problem. he loves my spirits

RC Al wrote:Put in a massive 3ph element or 2-3 smaller ones and then fine tune running the still with with a regular 240v one?

No huge controller cost then, the 6kw elements I bought can be run as either 3x 2000w 240v loops or bridged up to 6000w 3ph. They make them up to 12kw, still going to need that sparky though.

The more spread out the heat sources are, the more efficient the boiler, this the other reason they make ULWD elements (not just anti scorch)

A good PID can be made to hit a power level instead of a temp.

was thinking of using it to heat up then change down to the single phase stuff but if it could all be in one then was looking to go that route. saves having cords running to all places in the shed or wiring a point where I run and then don't have multiple elements in the boiler too.
B-Man

Postby chipboy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:28 am

B-Man wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:the neutral wire isn't capable of running 3 single phase elements.

Not speaking about your tradesman but the neutral MUST be capable of running the 3 phases, this is how it all works. Current from each phase returns via the neutral in a 3 phase 4 wire MEN connection. Get the wring checked or ask the sparkie.
chipboy

Postby B-Man » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:46 am

chipboy wrote:
B-Man wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:the neutral wire isn't capable of running 3 single phase elements.

Not speaking about your tradesman but the neutral MUST be capable of running the 3 phases, this is how it all works. Current from each phase returns via the neutral in a 3 phase 4 wire MEN connection. Get the wring checked or ask the sparkie.

I have a 20a socket. Run in 2.5mm2
All phase wires are 2.5mm2 and so is the neutral.
I don't know about you but I can't see the neutral taking 60a
B-Man

Postby chipboy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:22 pm

At a take off point for a one of the three / single phase output this would be correct, from the board back it will be different or on a 3 phase outlet. BE elec.
chipboy

Return to Electrical Hardware