Power Controllers with 30L PD Boiler - how?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Power Controllers with 30L PD Boiler - how?

Postby R3dRanga » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:08 pm

I ordered a 5Star power controller (super fast delivery - thanks Andrew!) and am yet to try it. I have a 30L boiler that came with the Pure Distilling All In One Spirit Maker System.

Can anyone provide instructions/advice on how to use? Or direct me to posts? I searched but it was a bit overwhelming and what I found was related to larger boilers.

I'm sure it will be a trial and error process, but I have no clue where to start.

Thanks in advance,
RR
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Re: Power Controllers with 30L PD Boiler - how?

Postby atec77 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:03 pm

So have you run the boiler yet , power controller goes between the wall socket and still allowing you to control power as required , search funtion here will sort it as there sure to be an answer
atec77

equipment: Reflux
4 plate
6 plate

Postby R3dRanga » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Thanks atec77. I get how to plug it in. I'm just not sure what settings (power%) and when (at what point during the run). Or is it consistent throughout the run? (set and forget). And can I damage my boiler - anything I should avoid? Any suggestions for first trial?
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Hick1960 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:01 pm

I bought the same controller from 5Star for my t500 boiler when I have my pot still attached for spirit runs. I just run at full power till I get product then back it off to roughly 50% until I get the product flow I want. Adjust slightly till I’m happy with the flow. Not sure if this is the right way to run it but it works for me.
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby Carol » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Hi Ranga
I don't use the controller on the pot still for stripping runs but use it on the boka for a spirit run.
Once it gets to temperature I dial the power controller down to keep it at the required temp so it is (I guess) a gentle boil rather than a flat out boil. I just take it down a bit and see how it goes and then take it down a bit more or up a bit more until it seems about right.
Not very technical I know - but if you listen to the boiler you can probably hear the difference. Think about saucepans - maintaining a gentle boil versus a raging boil!

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby R3dRanga » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Awesome!! Thanks Carol and Hick1960. That's exactly what I was after. I'll start experimenting and playing. I just needed a starting point.
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Return to Electrical Hardware