Aquarium heater burn out in rum wash

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Aquarium heater burn out in rum wash

Postby JayTee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 am

Hi - I've recently been trialling using a 300W aquarium heater (immersion) in the bottom third of my 250L rum fermentation. I bought a German-made titanium heater and controlled it via a separate probe and controller as I thought it would be more reliable. The first fermentation was great, but the heater failed on the second fermentation. It failed 3 days into the fermentation when the ferment was pretty much complete and the yeast was dropping out of suspension presumably. I found a 2 inch band of baked on yeast on the aquarium heater. Bummer. That didn't happen the first time. Don't know what I did differently.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with immersion heaters? I really don't know what I did wrong the second time, and I'm thinking I may have to move to a RIMS set up if I can't get the immersion approach to be reliable. Would appreciate any comments please! :-)
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Re: Aquarium heater burn out in rum wash

Postby coffe addict » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:50 pm

I've used aquarium heaters and found that they are quite reliable, the only difference is mine are usually toward the top 1/3.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Maxxx » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:43 pm

I’ve had 2 x heaters in the last 4 years, both this “pet works” brand and both only 100 watt
Used in 200 litre ferments of both rum and vodka, always on the bottom of the fermenter, usually just tie the cord through the handle of a ceramic coffee cup to hold it down
The one that did break was only because I dropped it on the concrete.
Think they cost about S12 from the local aquarium supplies place and came with a 12months replacement guarantee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby JayTee » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks @coffe addict I think that might be the answer. I'm going to combine the top third placement of the heater with a circulation of the wash from bottom to top of the vessel for the whole fermentation.As this will keep the rum wash moving, I'm hoping this will keep the yeast from dropping out of suspension and busting my heater too ... :-)
JayTee

Postby woodduck » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:30 am

I wouldn't over complicate it. I think it only stuck to it because it was sitting in the yeast bed. I would try lifting it up a bit first before making a recirculation system. Plenty of blokes use these heaters without a drama.

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:36 am

The wash moves all by itself from the rising and falling of yeast as they produce CO2 and rise, then release the CO2 and fall.

I've had one of those cheap aquarium heaters, I put a stainless hose clamp on the bottom of it to help weigh it down, worked well until it decided to die on me. I've also got a more expensive one (about $30) that doesn't need extra ballast and it's still working fine.

Although, I don't use them much here in Brisbane.

:text-+1: agree with woodduck
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:40 am

Also, if your fermenter is well insulated (rubber mat base and wrapped in a blanket for example) it really doesn't matter if the heater is near the top. You just need to make sure that the heater is immersed properly, which is harder to do at the start of the ferment as the density of the wash is higher, it lowers as sugar gets converted and the heater is less inclined to float. Seems only a problem with the cheap ones.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby EziTasting » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 pm

db1979 wrote:...
I've had one of those cheap aquarium heaters, I put a stainless hose clamp on the bottom of it to help weigh it down, worked well until it decided to die on me.

I might need to have a go at this as mine constantly floats to the top... haven't used it because of it...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RC Al » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:15 pm

What sort of controller was it, perhaps the heater didn't like it? SSR?

I would be inclined to trust the temp setting on a quality aquarium heater, just use a separate temp probe to double check and adjust the units own controller in future
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby JayTee » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 am

Really appreciate all the helpful comments guys - thanks. I won't over-complicate it then. Woodduck is most probably right, it might have been in the yeast bed. I didn't have a floating issue with my one, but I'm guessing it's probably a bit heavier than some (titanium casing)
JayTee

Postby JayTee » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:17 am

RC Al - just a basic temp controller with an attached probe. I bought from the same manufacturer as the titanium heater:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ERWPSXA/ ... 11_TE_item

I bought this heater:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005UN48IC/ ... 11_TE_item
JayTee

Postby OzDistilling » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:21 am

JayTee wrote:Hi - I've recently been trialling using a 300W aquarium heater (immersion) in the bottom third of my 250L rum fermentation. I bought a German-made titanium heater and controlled it via a separate probe and controller as I thought it would be more reliable. The first fermentation was great, but the heater failed on the second fermentation. It failed 3 days into the fermentation when the ferment was pretty much complete and the yeast was dropping out of suspension presumably. I found a 2 inch band of baked on yeast on the aquarium heater. Bummer. That didn't happen the first time. Don't know what I did differently.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with immersion heaters? I really don't know what I did wrong the second time, and I'm thinking I may have to move to a RIMS set up if I can't get the immersion approach to be reliable. Would appreciate any comments please! :-)

Generally aquarium heaters are not designed for constant operation. At best a 75% duty cycle. Using a smaller heater in a large volume of water, means the heater will be on constantly for maybe days initially to bring the temp up. They are just not designed to be on 100% for days on end. My advice. Buy 4 of a cheaper chinese brand and run them all from a external thermostat. Set all of their internal thermostats to max prior. This will reduce the initial warm up time by 4. Option 2, use a continuously rated heater, like a heat belt or pad.
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Postby RC Al » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:55 am

Bit of a necro thread, but i realized that i missed a clue, and i could be wrong here but..

The burnt on crud says either
A. that part of the heater was out of the liquid. They are designed to be fully immersed, so it was tyring to heat your air in the fermenter as well and without the lipuid cooling the case... Pop!
Or
B. It was in contact with the yeast bed that caused a hot spot in the heater surface, the internal element would have melted there

Standard sizing of a tank heater is 2.5 to 5 watts per 4l depending on the ambient temp difference. If your fermenter is wrapped it should be at the lower end

I do agree that multiple small ones would be better to spread the heat more evenly, but most people seem to get by just fine with a single
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby RC Al » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:08 am

Should have read some other replies first hey...

Lols
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Return to Electrical Hardware