Voltage Controller

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Re: Voltage Controller

Postby maheel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 am

i had a 500k pot from jaycar on the triac one i built and had the same issue. it had about a 1/4 turn adjustment.

this one is nearly full range 1st +-10% of turn is "off" on a light bulb, but hard to tell as i dont have a amp meter and got a few sparks when i put my multimeter on it one day :shock: lol

but it has "most of the range" i would be interested in seeing if it goes to 100%.
i often just heat up with the boiler plugged in without the psr and then do a quick swap to use the psr (not based on any tests or reason but)
maheel

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:19 am

maheel wrote:i had a 500k pot from jaycar on the triac one i built and had the same issue. it had about a 1/4 turn adjustment.

Awesome!! that's exactly what's happening with mine, easy fix :)

I bought a cheap multimeter to build this thing and melted it when I moved the dial from volts to amps, a few sparks and bzzzt it's fucked :lol: :shock: :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:27 am

there was talk over on HD about bridging it with a resistor or something on those home made units to get 500k -> 250k

but really for the extra few $$$ i bought this and they are WAY better, and not worrying about getting blue smoke or zapping myself etc
the hours i spent soldering and driving around looking for the right parts for a triac build was money and time wasted...

any others reading and want real power control should just buy a PSR25 + 250k pot... money well spent IMO

order in the 250k pot and it should be fine
maheel

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:41 am

maheel wrote:there was talk over on HD about bridging it with a resistor or something on those home made units to get 500k -> 250k

but really for the extra few $$$ i bought this and they are WAY better, and not worrying about getting blue smoke or zapping myself etc
the hours i spent soldering and driving around looking for the right parts for a triac build was money and time wasted...

any others reading and want real power control should just buy a PSR25 + 250k pot... money well spent IMO

order in the 250k pot and it should be fine

I totally agree, you can build a PSR controller for under $100 if you scab old computer parts, or if you bought everything new it would still come in under $150.

For something you're going to use for a long time the few extra bucks for the PSR and the ease of building the unit is more than worth it ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 am

McStill wrote: if you scab old computer parts

I can help there, got 20 old computers laying around at any one time.
If anybody wants them come get them.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby crozdog » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi,

I've read on several places how phase angle controllers really screw with lights & TV's...so was wondering if any of you using the recommended filter to stop the RFI? problem is it's worth more than the PSR! http://australia.rs-online.com/web/sear ... &R=2143935

Anyone found a reasonably priced zero crossing controller to use instead?
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby maheel » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:10 pm

no noticable effect
plugged into same power point boiling the jug 2200W
turned the nob and tried AM / FM

no i am not putting it next top my big TV..... :cry: (just in case i dont still with the TV on)

click the pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maheel

Postby maheel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:17 pm

http://www.uxcell.com/ssvr40va-40a-sing ... 40063.html

might be worth the $20 (delivered) chance they work ?

they also do a 10amp for under $15 delivered....
http://www.uxcell.com/ssvr10va-resistan ... 40064.html

if anyone gets one let us know :)
maheel

Postby Swede » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:03 am

I built this for less than $200 Canadian. Not sure how much difference there is currency wise, but it might be an inspiration to someone here.....

Here's the full build thread.... http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... =11&t=4792

(ps Mods, if you'd prefer I didn't post links here, let me know)
Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:53 am

That's a very flash unit Swede, looks awesome :clap:

No dramas here mate ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Swede » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 pm

McStill wrote:That's a very flash unit Swede, looks awesome :clap:

No dramas here mate ;)

Appreciate that alot Mcstill...

I'd like to contribute if and where it might help some of the folk here that dont get over to the other boards as much :thumbup: :music-rockout:

PS, you guys officially have the coolest smileys here too, so I'll have to come here more often too..... :mrgreen:

Swede
Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Postby 8-ball » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:48 pm

maheel wrote:http://www.uxcell.com/ssvr40va-40a-single-phase-adjustable-ssr-solid-state-relay-p-140063.html

might be worth the $20 (delivered) chance they work ?

they also do a 10amp for under $15 delivered....
http://www.uxcell.com/ssvr10va-resistan ... 40064.html

if anyone gets one let us know :)

to use these you will need to use a PID like what swede has posted alot more effort than what is needed the psr is the easiest way also will need to get a 32vdc power supply aswell as whatever the pid needs for power

@ McStill the tpsr from rs that you posted somewhere thats $18 is just a thiristor not the controller

i have the components here to build a controller all i need is to find my small soldering iron to solder the pot and triac ive been talking to the guru at rs was there for about 2.5hrs and he cant see a fault with the design im goin to trial also it will only cost $35 for all components including a ammeter plus time at this point in time

will post again when i have a working prototype if this fails im goin to try and get a good deal on the psr-25 or a burst fire relay and work on that
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 am

There is a market in Aus if someone comes up with a good quality design that will meet the specs we need and builds them for beer money.

:clap: :dance:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby 8-ball » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 am

5Star wrote:There is a market in Aus if someone comes up with a good quality design that will meet the specs we need and builds them for beer money.

:clap: :dance:

im trying to get a good fool proof design together thats is cheap easy and effective that can be customised to peoples need also im trying to get my local wholesaler to get me in some 4800w stokes bsp thead elements that i can put with the controlers but the one i want wich the element is 305mm is coming up a little to expensive at the moment so they are trying to find a suitable one for our needs and keep it in stock for me :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
8-ball

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 am

If you do end up marketing something with an element included i would stick to 2400w . That way it will be ok on most household circuits pulling 10 amps.

The stokes ones you want are the Incolloy elements.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:17 am

hey 8-ball this mob might be worth an email

they make them so may wholesale something of interest
http://www.thermalelectric.com.au/
maheel

Postby 8-ball » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:02 pm

5Star wrote:If you do end up marketing something with an element included i would stick to 2400w . That way it will be ok on most household circuits pulling 10 amps.

The stokes ones you want are the Incolloy elements.

thats a good idea 5Star that is something i didnt think of i forgot not everyone can just add a bigger circuit in for free, 8-) i could also offer my services as a electrician to wire up a 15A or 20A circuit in a persons shed/brew room at a cash price if they want a bigger element, although current laws are that you can have a 15A power point on a standard 10A general power circuit so a 3600w element is doable aswell

maheel wrote:hey 8-ball this mob might be worth an email

they make them so may wholesale something of interest
http://www.thermalelectric.com.au/

ill see what my wholesaler comes up with first and then go to these guys thanks for the link Maheel
8-ball

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi 8-ball.

I, like many other home distillers have little knowledge about electrical stuff so to be able to get an affordable locally made controller setup would be awesome.

Please keep us posted how your idea develops.

Just to let you know re the elements I have just ordered a 1 inch screw in 2400 watt incoloy element for my keg boiler from the local rexell electrical supplier and it was around the $65 mark. I'm not a tradie and just did a single order so you may be able to get them a bit cheaper..
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby 8-ball » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 pm

the 4800w 1" screw in element i got a quote for was $68.09 ex gst so if you want i can call them up and see if i can get you the 2400w a fair bit cheaper and post it to you or you could try a CNW electrical wholesaler they should be cheaper than rexcell
8-ball

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks 8-ball for your offer, all good though. I checked a few places locally and on line and went back to cheapest guys. Also have sparky mate that may be able to get a bit more off price for me. Kinda keen on getting it asap and they will have it for me by fri.

I was also thinking of using another element in the boiler but plug into another part of the house on separate cicuit with an extension lead for stripping and the initial heat up for spirit runs and then turn it off and just have the one 2400 watt for spirits until I get a controller.

You mentioned that even though standard is 10amps you can use up to 15 amps / 3600 watt element. Does that mean I could use a 2400 watt element plus a 1200 watt element (3600 w total) plugged into powerpoints in my garage that has a 10amp circuit? I dont know what type of power points they are, all I know is they are doubles.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Hardware