STC-1000 minus temp reading

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

STC-1000 minus temp reading

Postby MickJ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Help required from electrical or electronic people........

Have just received my temperature probes to use with my STC-1000 controller in my beer fermenter and another for my Reflux Boka build with it's own Digital Thermometer meter...............

Tested it and it is giving a minus reading...
With the original senser that came with the STC-1000 the test pot of water is 26*c and as it's set to 10*c the cooling light came on.......
Swapped the two wires around still 26*c ( there is no + or – with a probe but tested it anyway)
Fit my new probe and get a minus temp ( tested both new probes and get same minus reading)
-26*c and heater light came on........

So may be it's not a NTC probe could it be a K Type probe.....
Borrowed a K temp probe and it reads OK as the original did in the STC-1000
Was then told NTC only go up to a few 100 degrees and K up to 1,000......

So does any one know what may be wrong ….

Thanks
Michael

STC-1000

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Mini-220 ... 1e91eccc15

NTC temperature probe arrived and tested today with STC-1000

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311091316905 ... EBIDX%3AIT

NTC Digital Thermometer ...it's in the post

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251152582260 ... EBIDX%3AIT
MickJ

equipment: Modified 25 Litre Still Spirits Boiler
2" Pelican Pot Still with Shot Gun Condenser
3" Reflux Still

Re: STC-1000 minus temp reading

Postby brad81 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Do you have a manual?

stc1000_operating_manual.pdf

No experience with probes other than what came with the kit mate, sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brad81

equipment: 2in Pot Still on a keg boiler, voltage reg, and 44gal drum for cooling

Postby Barridale » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:10 pm

If the wires on the new probe are a different length to the original probe you will get a false reading, as the resistance level has changed to something different to that which it was calibrated to.
Besides that NTC probes are not suitable for use with the stc 1000, neither are k types as far as I know. They are designed for PIDs.
You are better off sticking with the original probe and using a thermowell.
Barridale

equipment: FSD Mac 4 SSG with 50L keg boiler

Postby MickJ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:52 am

Think i know what is wrong............... :violence-smack: :violence-smack: :violence-smack:

The STC-1000 is a 10 K ohm and the probe is NTC 100 K ohm

What i want to do is remove the probe from the fermenter or the boiler to clean it...........
But also have a probe that is testing further in from the side of the fermenter/boiler most Ebay probes are only about 25mm long...........
So 25mm is OK for the boiler and the Digital Thermometer comes with a probe but need to see it to work out how to fit/seal it..........
The way to go is sticking with the original probe and using a thermowell in the fementer............
MickJ

equipment: Modified 25 Litre Still Spirits Boiler
2" Pelican Pot Still with Shot Gun Condenser
3" Reflux Still

Return to Electrical Hardware