Pot Still

Pot still design and discussion

Pot Still

Postby charliez » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi I ran my pot still for the first today which is the Pure Distilling I did a 25 Litre TPW and I followed the instructions which said to turn on the water at about 30c and I had it at approx 1 litre a minute it took a while for it to start to drip and get the 150ml rubbish , the instructions say when collected the 150 ml starting collecting the good spirits and turn off when temperature gets to 90c well I was still collecting the rubbish about a 100ml and all of a sudden it ran out like a tap and the temperature climbed up to over 90c and I hadn't even got the rubbish was wondering does anyone else have the Pure Distilling Pot and help me in what had gone wrong as I said followed the instructions So I turned it off and put my reflux Pure Distilling column on and started again

Regards
Charlie
charliez

equipment: pure still reflux

Re: Pot Still

Postby bluc » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 pm

If its a pot still i wouldnt worry about the temp. I would use a parrot and alcometer.
Double distill
Strip run 25l wash discard firts 200ml, then collect and keep everything down to 20%.
Spirit run
I strip batchs till i have 25l of the same spirit, but have run single 5l spirit run. Using a voltage regulator i adjust the output to a thin pencil lead size stream. I ditch 100ml per 5l of stripped spirit as fores. I then collect in 150-300ml lots depending on how much in my boiler. Collecting down to 50%( unless i want the tails then i go right down to 20% and do a feints run)

Let the cuts air overnight then pick the hearts by smell and taste.
You should habe a read of novice guide to cuts for a better understanding of how it works. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Garfield » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Bluc

That's an awesome little summary. It's making so much more sense to me every time i login. Cheers

Garfield
Garfield

equipment: Reflux still

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:21 pm

Cheers but it aint my learned knowledge i am sharing, it is a summary of this great sites guidlines. And as such was my starting point :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Pot Stills